Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 25,878 times

Advertisements

Hi. I saw a few posts on here about unemployment rules by a retired employee and was hoping I could get an answer to my question.
I had to quit my job because my car broke down. I am on a bus line but the problem is that on 2 nights I worked until 2am- No buses run that late. And problem #2 is that the other nights I work until 11pm and really wouldn't have felt safe walking home from the bus stop alone at almost midnight.
Im wondering if this will qualify as "good cause" for quitting my job? Has anyone here applied and been approved under similar circumstances? Thanks!

Missy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Do they have a site online that you can look up the rules if you quit a job? I'm over the border in Ca. so I just don't know.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM

230 posts, read 676,150 times
Probably not Missy. I had my hours cut down to nothing and quit so I could collect my 401k and keep from losing the roof over my head -- that wasn't seen as justifiable to Unemployment. Voluntary quitting for any reason is very unlikely to receive benefits.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM

173 posts, read 979,658 times
I doubt they'd accept that reason. I'm on unemployment, but I should be heading back to work within the next week or two.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
NO...it is not the employers not the states responsibility to see that you can get to work.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 AM
dzo

2 posts, read 15,513 times
This is another unemployment question.
There's a chance that a lot of us at my job could be getting fired--not because of being laid off though. The positions are still open, but they've been firing a lot of people for things that prior haven't seemed to really matter. We learned that the new employees are earning at least $1 less than what most of us are making, and believe they're trying to do that, as they have already cut our pay $2 citing the economy.

I've had my job threatened multiple times in just this week alone. It's becoming increasingly stressful, and we keep hearing that if we get "fired" without being "laid off", then we can't receive unemployment, but it feels like this is bound to happen no matter how well we do, because they can hire people for less.

If we get fired for something being late (today I was in late for the first time in over a month, and called to let them know--I was here only five minutes past my time), or even for our pants not looking pressed enough (that was one reason they fired a person), can we collect unemployment? I'm terrified, because I have to pay for school and bills and rent, and I know that in this economy, there's no way I'll be able to find a job quickly.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 25,878 times
According to unemployment, if I feel my safety is at risk due to any part of my job, it qualifies as "just cause". So far thats all I've got, so we'll see what happens now...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM

173 posts, read 979,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
According to unemployment, if I feel my safety is at risk due to any part of my job, it qualifies as "just cause". So far thats all I've got, so we'll see what happens now...
... while you're on the clock, right? If you're off the clock and going to work I can't see how that would work out for ya in your favour.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
Hi. I saw a few posts on here about unemployment rules by a retired employee and was hoping I could get an answer to my question.
I had to quit my job because my car broke down. I am on a bus line but the problem is that on 2 nights I worked until 2am- No buses run that late. And problem #2 is that the other nights I work until 11pm and really wouldn't have felt safe walking home from the bus stop alone at almost midnight.
Im wondering if this will qualify as "good cause" for quitting my job? Has anyone here applied and been approved under similar circumstances? Thanks!

Missy
Whts wrong with your car... Wht happened to it??

Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo View Post
This is another unemployment question.
There's a chance that a lot of us at my job could be getting fired--not because of being laid off though. The positions are still open, but they've been firing a lot of people for things that prior haven't seemed to really matter. We learned that the new employees are earning at least $1 less than what most of us are making, and believe they're trying to do that, as they have already cut our pay $2 citing the economy.

I've had my job threatened multiple times in just this week alone. It's becoming increasingly stressful, and we keep hearing that if we get "fired" without being "laid off", then we can't receive unemployment, but it feels like this is bound to happen no matter how well we do, because they can hire people for less.

If we get fired for something being late (today I was in late for the first time in over a month, and called to let them know--I was here only five minutes past my time), or even for our pants not looking pressed enough (that was one reason they fired a person), can we collect unemployment? I'm terrified, because I have to pay for school and bills and rent, and I know that in this economy, there's no way I'll be able to find a job quickly.
I can't tell you what the rules are in Nevada. However, I had a similar situation happen to me here in California more than twenty years ago. They fired me. I applied for unemployment. The employer attempted to state that I was fired for cause. I appealed and won my unemployment benefits. I had been keeping a diary and documenting all the things that the employer had been doing that were fishy. I also had documented all my glowing job reviews and was able to point out that my review did not take a turn for the worse for any "legitimate" reason but instead, it was because the employer wanted to hire someone else for my job. You might try doing the same. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment