Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmlnj View Post
On the 23rd of April I will make my final call in for Tier I benefits. If HR4851 passes, will it allow for me to collect Tier II benefits when I make my next call in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
I believe so..and I hope so, as I will end my tier 1 benefits the same date.
If HR 4851 passes as it is currently drafted, it will provide a 30-day extension for the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers, other federally funded unemployment benefits, and the COBRA premium subsidy.

That 30-day extension will be retroactive to the prior cut-off dates of March 27 (exhaustion of regular benefits to qualify for Tier I), April 3 (exhaustion of one Tier to move to the next Tier); and March 31 (COBRA premium subsidy).

If you are both exhausting Tiers during April, HR 4851 will enable you both to move to the next Tier.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,765 times
Default Next Congressional Recesses

For those watching legislative developments for unemployment benefits in the Senate and in the House, you might want to be aware that we are less than seven weeks away from the next Congressional recess in May -- that recess will be one week for the Memorial Day Holiday.

Here are the next three Congressional recesses scheduled:
• Memorial Day Recess: May 31 - June 4
• Independence Day Recess: July 5 - July 9
• Summer Recess: August 9 - September 10

2010 Congressional Schedule, 111th Congress, 2nd Session. From TheCapitol.Net,

Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,051,469 times
Just got this e-mail from NELP

Friends -
Last night, the Senate held a cloture vote on the 30 day unemployment insurance/COBRA extension and got the 60 votes needed in order to advance the bill to a final vote. As many of you know, this bill will extend the filing deadline for programs we already have in place (COBRA subsidies, $25 weekly benefit amount, and the current extensions available) for another month while also making these provisions retroactive to the beginning of the month. All Democrats who were present voted in favor of the bill, and Republican Senators Collins (ME), Snowe (ME), Brown (MA), and Voinovich (OH) also voted in favor of the bill. We have heard that there will be a final vote on the bill sometime on Thursday. Once it passes, the President will sign it right away to get the UI program back up and running. The state agencies that handle your checks are watching this closely and will be doing everything they can to get your benefits checks restored and out to you as quickly as possible.

As we learn more, we will continue to update you. Please continue to take action here and call on the Senate to get this bill passed quickly. If you have questions about your benefits or wish to become part of our media efforts on this issue, please also contact us here.
Sincerely,

Your Friends at unemployedworkers.org

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 AM

25 posts, read 40,767 times
Im till a bit confused! Once I became eligible for the COBRA subsidy I thought it was valid for 15 months and is not subject to renewal or these extensions. I thought only advancing through the "tiers" is what is subject to these extensions AND the ability to become eligible for COBRA reduction. In other words, if a person is already receiving the subsidy for COBRA that subsidy cannot be removed. Ok, so just how confused am I? -- Anyone??

Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 AM

160 posts, read 375,570 times
Coverage under Cobra benefits expires after 18 months. In the House version of the health overhaul, Cobra benefits would have been extended until 2014, when many of the new, state-run health care exchanges, or marketplaces, would be up and running. But the Senate bill, which is the version that was signed into law, included nothing about extending Cobra.

This is why people are getting pi**ed off at their elected officials. They didn't read the bill!

Here's a helpful link:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0603965.htm (broken link)

Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM

870 posts, read 1,405,605 times
Default 8700 Signatures

Let's keep momentum going in other ways as well, make a call to Congressman Hoyer, and Pelosi and your senate! (the telephone nos. are on a previous post).....

8700 Signatures for Unemployment Extension Tier... | Gather

https://www.city-data.com/forum/13719642-post1803.html

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

56 posts, read 130,389 times
I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE HEARD THIS UPDATE YET OUR EFFORTS ARE WORKING BUT WE HAVE TO KEPP FLOODING WASHINGTON EVERYDAY!!!!!!! HERES THE LINK POST THIS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Dem support building for Tier V - start calling ALL GOP Senators NOW

Unemployed-Friends :: Unemployment Extensions and Legislation :: Campaign and Support Legislation

by incredulous Yesterday at 12:09 pm

From the feedback being posted on this forum, as well as my own conversations with staffers in Senator Schumer's office and Senator Gillibrand's office today, Tier V is on the table. Pelosi, Reid, Hoyer, Stabenow, Durbin, Schumer... the mega-Dems of the Senate are finally clued-in.

Clearly our collective efforts to contact and inform our representatives on the plight of the 99ers have WORKED. Hooray for all of you who have been working the phones over the past month.

Please consider redirecting your calling efforts to the GOP Senators who will be very reticent to support a Tier V. If you know anyone who lives in Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina and any other state represented by a Republican Senator, now is the time to get them to call.

I am putting this recommendation forth based upon the direct question I posed to Senator Schumer's staffer this morning: "When can I expect Senator Schumer to display some leadership on the Tier V issue, and what can I do to support his efforts?" The staffer replied, "If you know anyone in Georgia or Oklahoma, get them to contact their senators."

A great first step in this effort would be to contact the following Republican Senators who have displayed courage and common sense in stepping over their party's line to move this week's eligibility extension bill forward. Please call and thank these folks today for standing up for you on this bill, and impress upon them that more needs to be done, quickly:

George Voinovich, R-Ohio
Scott Brown, R-Mass
Olympia Snowe, R-Maine
Susan Collins, R-Maine
THANK YOU!!!!

Then, start making calls to the remaining Republicans. We don't need to convince the Steny Hoyer's anymore. We need to deliver a strong dose of reality to the Republicans who would seek to balance the budget on the backs of of unemployed Americans who have lost their jobs and homes while the big banks and AIG were bailed out within DAYS with our tax dollars.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskforce4usa View Post
Just called both numbers , Hoyers secretary picked up and took the message that a Tier V is desperately needed.

Pelosi's secretary switched me over to a "full voicemail box" that couldn't record my message.

Neither secretary seemed very busy with calls , so I'm asking people to step it up and make these calls ... otherwise nothing will get done to create a Tier V

Good job in responding and challenging the rest to step up!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinNJ3 View Post
I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE HEARD THIS UPDATE YET OUR EFFORTS ARE WORKING BUT WE HAVE TO KEPP FLOODING WASHINGTON EVERYDAY!!!!!!! HERES THE LINK POST THIS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Unemployed-Friends :: Unemployment Extensions and Legislation :: Campaign and Support Legislation

by incredulous Yesterday at 12:09 pm

From the feedback being posted on this forum, as well as my own conversations with staffers in Senator Schumer's office and Senator Gillibrand's office today, Tier V is on the table. Pelosi, Reid, Hoyer, Stabenow, Durbin, Schumer... the mega-Dems of the Senate are finally clued-in.

Clearly our collective efforts to contact and inform our representatives on the plight of the 99ers have WORKED. Hooray for all of you who have been working the phones over the past month.

Please consider redirecting your calling efforts to the GOP Senators who will be very reticent to support a Tier V. If you know anyone who lives in Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina and any other state represented by a Republican Senator, now is the time to get them to call.

I am putting this recommendation forth based upon the direct question I posed to Senator Schumer's staffer this morning: "When can I expect Senator Schumer to display some leadership on the Tier V issue, and what can I do to support his efforts?" The staffer replied, "If you know anyone in Georgia or Oklahoma, get them to contact their senators."

A great first step in this effort would be to contact the following Republican Senators who have displayed courage and common sense in stepping over their party's line to move this week's eligibility extension bill forward. Please call and thank these folks today for standing up for you on this bill, and impress upon them that more needs to be done, quickly:

George Voinovich, R-Ohio
Scott Brown, R-Mass
Olympia Snowe, R-Maine
Susan Collins, R-Maine
THANK YOU!!!!

Then, start making calls to the remaining Republicans. We don't need to convince the Steny Hoyer's anymore. We need to deliver a strong dose of reality to the Republicans who would seek to balance the budget on the backs of of unemployed Americans who have lost their jobs and homes while the big banks and AIG were bailed out within DAYS with our tax dollars.

The running back is near the 5 yard line.....we have to take it IN! Let's NOT run out of gas near the goal line!!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM

56 posts, read 130,389 times
Call your local business agents in local union halls most are politically connected and they can organize their members employed and unemployed to flood Washington as well you can reach them through the union websites as well since this affects them greatly they are not a loud to seek out non union jobs. theirs approx 700 guys out of work with IBEW local 98 philly right now. If anyone knows of friends in unions talk to them and get them on board to contact ther local unions

dont give up til we get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment