Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM

155 posts, read 339,584 times

Advertisements

were turning the corner now according to the government,so forget about a tier 5.
we will be lucky if they extend the deadline dates to the end of the year.
they will use any excuse not to spend anymore money on a tier 5.

160,000 new jobs are out there now
they dont tell you what the avg salary of the jobs are.
so now uncle sam is saying no more unemployment for you lazy, loafing,good for nothing people out there.
go out grab one of those great 160,00 high salary jobs that you cant wait to wake up at 5am and run to the bus for.

even if you were making 50 -100k at your old job,
you have to settle for warehouse order picker,chimney sweeper,truck driver ,supermarket shelf stocker now
i know a few wall street CEOS that are looking for a few good employers to empty their 4,000 dollar garbage cans in the offices
for 9 an hour ,but no benefits.

Last edited by trendcat; 04-03-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM

189 posts, read 648,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendcat View Post
were turning the corner now according to the government,so forget about a tier 5.
we will be lucky if they extend the deadline dates to the end of the year.
they will use any excuse not to spend anymore money on a tier 5.

160,000 new jobs are out there now
they dont tell you what the avg salary of the jobs are.
so now uncle sam is saying no more unemployment for you lazy, loafing,good for nothing people out there.
go out grab one of those great 160,00 high salary jobs that you cant wait to wake up at 5am and run to the bus for.

even if you were making 50 -100k at your old job,
you have to settle for warehouse order picker,chimney sweeper,truck driver ,supermarket shelf stocker now
i know a few wall street CEOS that are looking for a few good employers to empty their 4,000 dollar garbage cans in the offices
for 9 an hour ,but no benefits.
well said thats what i have been trying to say but no one wants to hear it. there simply will not be any tier 5 because according to uncle sam all is well so there is no reason at all for any more unemployment extensions.

as far as 160,000 new jobs the part they didnt say that the major portion of that was temp work and census jobs. we need 150,000 each month just to break even. dont you just love spin?

Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Default Kyl and Reid Still Cautious About Long-Term UI Benefits

A brief review of comments on Sunday political news shows and subsequent responses show both Senator Jon Kyl (R-Ariz) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) continue to hedge about extending unemployment benefits.

• On CNN's "State of the Union" program earlier today, Lawrence Summers, director of the White House's National Economic Council, was interviewed about the promising increase in job numbers reported this week. Summers acknowledged this was a good start, but warned that the country still "has a long way to go." He added that the Administration has been trying to help the unemployed through initiatives such as extensions of unemployment insurance and proposed tax incentives for small business. He criticized Republicans for stalling those initiatives in Congress.

• Asked on "Fox News Sunday" whether Republicans would support more economic stimulus measures, Senator Jon Kyl (R-Ariz) said there was no proof that past stimulus attempts were successful. But he added that an extension of unemployment benefits was necessary given the 9.7% jobless rate, even though it wasn't a "job stimulator." "We will do those things to take care of the families that are suffering right now," Kyl said.

However, when later asked for clarification, Kyl said he was referring to the need to pass the one-month extension of the eligibility cut-off dates [HR 4851], which was blocked before the current Congressional recess.

• In response to Kyl, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) issued a statement criticizing Republicans for making "excuses" for stalling the benefits package and hurting the unemployed. Reid said that he is "committed" to extending short-term unemployment benefits while lawmakers search for a long-term solution.

Summers Predicts Job Growth - WSJ.com
Kyl: Jobless benefits extension needed - TheHill.com
Reid rips GOP for stalling unemployment benefits - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
Kyl, Specter: Shed fringe elements - UPI.com
The Associated Press: Summers says jobs creation Obama's 'preoccupation'
Summers: Economy has 'long way to go'; recovery to accelerate - TheHill.com
http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicolive/0410/Larry_Summers_on_economy_Weve_got_along_way_to_go. html?showall (broken link)

Old 04-04-2010, 04:38 PM

344 posts, read 607,418 times
Yeah, I love the report that came out the other day about thousands of jobs created in March, But, the unemployment rate stayed at 9.7% (actual hovering around 16%). Gee, wouldn't the unemployment rate have gone down if some of those who were unemployed took those jobs? Apparently, there is job switching from people who have jobs. That and that some of those jobs are census jobs. I don't believe a word the media puts out - it is all spin.

I had 3 possibilities for a new job but I'm probably down to 1 at this point. And that more or likely will pay $10/hr w/benefits. A relative told me today that's all I'm going to find in my area. Yeah, but it isn't enough to live on. I also have been taking 2 online tests for this job. One of the other jobs I was in the running for looked like a really good bet but the person who was doing the hiring for that job just lost his job last week . Great luck, huh?

Another job I applied for about a month ago was taken by a girl who already had a job. Oh well. I can't stand the stereotype put out there by some who think the unemployed are lazy and want to live off the system. Trust me, I don't. I think I'm going to knuckle down this week and look at civil service tests in my area. Not really what I want to do, but, it is much better than the part-time job I have now as a cashier at a supermarket. I have a B.A. and experience but I feel belittled when I work there. I know I shouldn't but I do. I want to do so much more with my life but it has been so frustrating. Thanks for listening.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 PM

im on my last three tier 3 checks,and i havent recieved EB yet
when congess comes back from recess im hoping they pass at least the 1 month extension
that would last untill mid or late may

than im preparing for the fact that their will be no tier 5.
others should be preparing for that reality too.
i will just have EB left.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendcat View Post
im on my last three tier 3 checks,and i havent recieved EB yet
when congess comes back from recess im hoping they pass at least the 1 month extension
that would last untill mid or late may

than im preparing for the fact that their will be no tier 5.
others should be preparing for that reality too.
i will just have EB left.
Not all states qualify for Tiers III and IV. In addition, a number of states have already discontinued their EB or are in the process of dismantling it. So many people who are jobless -- and who do not have the opportunity to become "99ers" -- have been dealing with those realities, as well.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM

36 posts, read 85,909 times
I just joined to post, but I have been reading them for the year I have been unemployed in NJ. Thanks to all senior members and diorgirl for all the help and information you provide. I just have to say I agree with the fact that since in march 160.000 jobs were created that they are using it to act as if the economy is coming back. Yes alot of that is due to the temp census jobs. I love how the republicans are always going on about how horrible the unemployment rate is and then turn around and hold up the passage of bills to help the unemployed. The fact of the matter is that no of them really care about us. I am on tier 2 and run out in April if this extension is not passed.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Not all states qualify for Tiers III and IV. In addition, a number of states have already discontinued their EB or are in the process of dismantling it. So many people who are jobless -- and who do not have the opportunity to become "99ers" -- have been dealing with those realities, as well.
of course diorgirl ,good point
i didnt mean to leave them out,thats why i said maybe if we are all lucky
we may get a few more months EUC cutoff extensions.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM

853 posts, read 4,052,841 times
I am on my initial claim and will only have 5 or 6 weeks left if nothing changes.

Also, don't you love (not) how they also use the fact that less people filed new unemployment claims as a sign that the economy is improving? I think that fewer new unemployment claims is due to there being less jobs for people to lose in the first place!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:12 PM

285 posts, read 562,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I am on my initial claim and will only have 5 or 6 weeks left if nothing changes.

Also, don't you love (not) how they also use the fact that less people filed new unemployment claims as a sign that the economy is improving? I think that fewer new unemployment claims is due to there being less jobs for people to lose in the first place!
Another thing you have to think about. Right now as far as i know there are 6 million Americans that have dropped off of tier four. That also makes things look better than what they really are. If this next legislation goes through allowing either another tier (5) or more weeks added to existing tiers the amount of people filing will go back up. Which will blow holes in this bullshyt about more jobs being created in the past month. In the past month or so there has been a upswing in the part time workers. That upswing has come from census workers being hired. I think this upswing in hiring is only temporary. But our government (Republicans & some Democrats) are trying to make it more than what it really is. That way they can reason away the idea of giving anymore extensions.

.............................. MORE & MORE SPIN,SPIN, SPIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment