Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,990,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
To bad none of this does anything for the real long term unemployed.
The fact is that there are millions of unemployed people who -- because of the cut-off dates -- have collected fewer than the maximum 53 weeks of benefits provided by the four existing EUC Tiers. And these extensions in the cut-off dates -- and information about the extended dates -- are important to them and their families.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM

285 posts, read 562,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The fact is that there are millions of unemployed people who -- because of the cut-off dates -- have collected fewer than the maximum 53 weeks of benefits provided by the four existing EUC Tiers. And these extensions in the cut-off dates -- and information about the extended dates -- are important to them and their families.
Sure, No problem there. But in the mean time should the other 5 million or so be forgotten about? I know that in the whole scheme of things what i think and what millions of others think really doesn't matter. But it seems to me that we are all in the same boat. No matter how long each has been unemployed. I know that in one sense of the word you can say that we have gotten ours and it's only fair that the others should get there's.

I have no problem with that. What i have a problem with is the fact that this recession isn't over with. And probably will not be for at least another year or two. What are the real long term unemployed suppose to do? Go find a card board box and move their wives and kids under the nearest bridge? When our government started this i know that within reason they knew that this was going to turn into a long haul thing. They knew that our government would have to (for lack of a better word) Keep us up until all this was over. But what they have done is like i said before. They carried us out in the middle of the lake and told us they would take care of this. But once we they have us all out there they take away our boat & paddle, Give us the finger and say tough shyt.

I just feel like our government to a certain extent has let us down. I do appreciate what i have gotten so far. But with unemployment at over 11% and getting worse, at least here, Well, We all before this recession ends will need more help. Are we going to be able to rely on our government when that time comes? I wonder.

The ones that are going through the system right now will probably be done the same way. When they get to the end of tier 4, They will also get the the finger and be told tough shyt.

I just can't help but feel like that if this recession goes on another year or more we all will be out in the cold. Our government is good about getting us into messes, They're good about sending aid all over the world, But in the long haul they can't take care of there own people. There excuse, "We don't have the money and no way to pay for it" Wonder why?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM

199 posts, read 404,778 times
Quote:
Sure, No problem there. But in the mean time should the other 5 million or so be forgotten about? I know that in the whole scheme of things what i think and what millions of others think really doesn't matter. But it seems to me that we are all in the same boat. No matter how long each has been unemployed. I know that in one sense of the word you can say that we have gotten ours and it's only fair that the others should get there's.

I have no problem with that. What i have a problem with is the fact that this recession isn't over with. And probably will not be for at least another year or two. What are the real long term unemployed suppose to do? Go find a card board box and move their wives and kids under the nearest bridge? When our government started this i know that within reason they knew that this was going to turn into a long haul thing. They knew that our government would have to (for lack of a better word) Keep us up until all this was over. But what they have done is like i said before. They carried us out in the middle of the lake and told us they would take care of this. But once we they have us all out there they take away our boat & paddle, Give us the finger and say tough shyt.

I just feel like our government to a certain extent has let us down. I do appreciate what i have gotten so far. But with unemployment at over 11% and getting worse, at least here, Well, We all before this recession ends will need more help. Are we going to be able to rely on our government when that time comes? I wonder.

The ones that are going through the system right now will probably be done the same way. When they get to the end of tier 4, They will also get the the finger and be told tough shyt.

I just can't help but feel like that if this recession goes on another year or more we all will be out in the cold. Our government is good about getting us into messes, They're good about sending aid all over the world, But in the long haul they can't take care of there own people. There excuse, "We don't have the money and no way to pay for it" Wonder why?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM

189 posts, read 648,143 times
Quote:
To bad none of this does anything for the real long term unemployed.
what do you want them to do?? some who haven't even come close to receiving the same amount of benefits as others are about to be cut off. they have one bill which is hung up so they have another to at least buy some time.

would you rather have a bill that gives everyone unlimited unemployment which will never pass?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM

285 posts, read 562,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
what do you want them to do?? some who haven't even come close to receiving the same amount of benefits as others are about to be cut off. they have one bill which is hung up so they have another to at least buy some time.

would you rather have a bill that gives everyone unlimited unemployment which will never pass?

No. I don't think it should last for ever. But what i do think it should last as long as it takes for each state. I know all states don't have it as hard as others. So all i can speak for is my own state. Here in Ga it should last as long as it takes. I know that there will be some that will sit on there dead butts and draw as long as they can. But should everyone suffer because of a few? No. As each individual states unemployment percentage drops back to a doable percentage then start weaning unemployment away from them. Before this mess started our unemployment percentage was 3.5 to 4 %. When the unemployment gets down to lets say 5% then start taking unemployment away.

When you have unemployment @ 11.3 % that's not the time to take it away. Right now here there is something over 47 thousand unemployed in my county. This county has only, To the best of my knowledge,Has around 62 thousand living in it. That means that almost everyone here is either unemployed or under employed. To me that is a staggering statistic to think about. Business is closing left and right. It got even worse when the unemployment ended. I'm watching this county die a little at the time. By the way these bills are not buying time for everyone. There is something like 5 million that are being swept under the rug and forgotten about. We, The real long term unemployed are the red headed step child that our government wants to forget.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,408 times
Quote:

I can appreciate how you feel and the time you took to express it.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post

I'd RATHER they use the MONEY they're sending to OTHER countries (ex. Haiti) and have it used for those falling off the financial cliff and overwhelmed by the economic psunami HERE! There are MANY in the U.S. that are in dire need and need as much HELP here as any other country, but for 'appearances' sake and to live up to a 'reputation' of being LEADER of the free world we place priorities where it can best suit our diplomatic INTERESTS.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,366,854 times
Default Hcr & cobra

Now that HCR is signed, is anyone aware of any provisions in it that affect those of us exhausting COBRA this year?

Thanks - CC

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Now that HCR is signed, is anyone aware of any provisions in it that affect those of us exhausting COBRA this year?

Thanks - CC
The recently passed Health Care Reform legislation will have no effect on COBRA. How its term affect you will depend on your personal situation post-COBRA.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Senate Republicans' Version of HR 4851 in Development?

Democratic Senators -- completely absorbed with reconciliation for the recently passed Health Care Reform bill -- have put the passage of HR 4851 "on hold." HR 4851 provides a one-month extension of cut-off dates to May 5 for the EUC Tiers and other unemployment benefits, and to April 30 for the COBRA premium subsidy.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Republican Senators are now developing their own version of HR 4851 -- with a different source of funding. This suggests that they will fight Democrats' attempts to get HR 4851 passed by unanimous consent before the Congress takes its next two-week recess on March 29.

Unemployment Extension Takes Backseat To Health Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment