Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Is there a way to find out what's on the House's agenda for Friday, 3/12 and for next week? I'm interested in finding out whether they are going to address H.R. 4213 or not.

They go on 'vacation' (I know, that's not the formal term) on 3/19,
so I'm wondering what's going on with them; why haven't we heard anything?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
(1) HR 4213 is not yet scheduled for a vote on the House floor.

(2) The most current legislative calendars for the Senate and for the House can be found at:
Senate Calendar
THE WEEKLY LEADER: WEEK OF MARCH 08, 2010 - House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (http://majorityleader.gov/links_and_resources/whip_resources/weeklyleader.cfm?pressReleaseID=3920 - broken link)

Note that the information on these calendars can be scant before a day actually takes place. They are often updated at the end of a day -- listing all the events that transpired on the chamber floors -- which make them better archives after the fact, than they would be as agendas of tasks to be addressed.

That's because motions and votes can often reach the floor spontaneously, based on the progress that has been made in the formal Committee meetings or in informal discussions "behind closed doors."

(3) Both the Senate and the House are scheduled to be in recess from March 29 through April 11, 2010. This is one of several State Work Periods they take during the year to spend time back home among their constituents.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Now I see that BHO has delayed his trip until 3/21, so it looks like everything but HCR will be on the back burner until then. They just don't seem to get it that joblessness today is slightly more urgent than HCR that will kick in 3 years from now.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 AM

199 posts, read 404,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Now I see that BHO has delayed his trip until 3/21, so it looks like everything but HCR will be on the back burner until then. They just don't seem to get it that joblessness today is slightly more urgent than HCR that will kick in 3 years from now.

I NOTICE THAT ALSO.....WELL THE UNEMPLOYMENT ISSUE WILL NOT BE THE FOCUS TIL AFTER THEIR EASTER BREAK....I PRESUME SOMETIME IN APRIL 2010

GOOD MORNING AMERICA THIS MORNING SHOWED A SEGMENT OF A GUY LIVING OFF OF HIS FREQUENT- FLIER MILES TO KEEP AFLOAT WHILE ON UNEMPLOYMENT

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Yea this whole Health care thing is ticking me off, What happened to getting people back to work as top priority??????

Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM

34 posts, read 199,305 times
The Man and his FF miles seems unwise and more of a ploy to gain public attention (balloon boy?) than trying to survive. He is paying in some cases $25 to $30 a night for hotel rooms, which are VERY nice hotels but is this man really focused on his own survival or just finding an expensive way to land a Hollywood contract? At $540 a week, he could get a decent rental and pay for his food in many places in California (away from San Fran and LA of course). However, I learned that my FF miles can be used towards certificates at restaurants...maybe eating out once a month is back on our menu

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

34 posts, read 199,305 times
DIORGIRL, I wanted to send out a HUGE thank you for all your reporting. If it wasn't for your keen skills, I would be shuffling their the House and Senate websites, clueless to what I was doing. Actually, that is exactly what I was doing until I stumbled across this super-duper city-data discussion board.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tpring View Post
DIORGIRL, I wanted to send out a HUGE thank you for all your reporting. If it wasn't for your keen skills, I would be shuffling their the House and Senate websites, clueless to what I was doing. Actually, that is exactly what I was doing until I stumbled across this super-duper city-data discussion board.
The legislative and regulatory aspects of UI can be pretty daunting -- as I learned firsthand when I first entered the system last year. If I can be of help to others here in the same boat, I'm happy to do so!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Default No news...

Just a brief note to let you know that multiple political blogs and news sources are complaining this afternoon about their inability to get status reports on HR 4213, which is in the House awaiting a vote.

HR 4213 is, of course, The Tax Extenders Act, to which the Senate attached amendments for extensions in the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers and other benefits.

Apparently, no calls to or messages left for members of the House or the Senate about this bill are being returned so far today.

Perhaps we'll hear someting on Monday.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just a brief note to let you know that multiple political blogs and news sources are complaining this afternoon about their inability to get status reports on HR 4213, which is in the House awaiting a vote.

HR 4213 is, of course, The Tax Extenders Act, to which the Senate attached amendments for extensions in the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers and other benefits.

Apparently, no calls to or messages left for members of the House or the Senate about this bill are being returned so far today.

Perhaps we'll hear someting on Monday.
This is so weird. Why is everyone in the House mum on this? It sounds like the bill is ready to go, except for some few items to iron out. It doesn't take long for the House to vote; we've seen that before.

What kind of politicking is going on here? We need to call members of the House and whoever runs the House a set a fire under them. LET'S DO IT STARTING MONDAY.
I will plan on calling every 2-3 hours to check on the status of the bill. I hope others will jump on the wagon with me...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,149 times
Default Cobra extention past 18 months

Why is it that there is no consideration to extend Cobra past the 18 months ? There were mentions of it here and there but nothing serious. It does not need to be subsitized but there have got to be many people that are loosing health insurance after the 18 months. There are a few states that have done this but why not on a federal level. There would be no cost to this if one pays for the continuation themselves. What am I missing ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment