Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM

129 posts, read 533,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Reid seeks extension of jobless aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_bi_ge/us_congress_unemployed_4 - broken link)
I saw this link on another unemployment board. Be interesting if it comes to fruition, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Reid seeks extension of jobless aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_bi_ge/us_congress_unemployed_4 - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitstu View Post
I saw this link on another unemployment board. Be interesting if it comes to fruition, but I'm not holding my breath.
This information was already reported on this thread early this afternoon. See post #290 reprinted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Good news for those more recently unemployed:

Multiple media sources are reporting that Majority Leader Harry Reid is pressing to extend existing unemployment extensions and COBRA subsidies through December 2010.

Reid hopes to pass two measures, one as soon as Tuesday. The first includes a 30-day extension of several soon-to-expire provisions -- including the EUC Tier cut-off date of February 28, 2010.

In private conversations on the Senate floor, Reid and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell are negotiating the second broader, longer-term measure. It is believed that this measure could include a full-year extension of the federal government's 53-week EUC Tier program and the 65% COBRA subsidy. It may also include extending payment by the federal government of 100% of states' EB programs.

Reportedly not under discussion at this time are the addition of a Tier V to the EUC Tier program nor any additional weeks for existing Tiers.

Reid seeks extension of jobless aid *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/reid-seeks-extension-of-323517.html - broken link)
Reid seeks extension of jobless aid (http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1153ap_us_congress_unemployed.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,439 times
Diorgirl... I've read the blog back a couple weeks or so trying to figure out what is happening in DC with the approaching deadline and what it means for me....thanks so much for all of your help....you are a wealth of knowledge! I have a few questions...maybe you can help me...I am a PA resident, I have exhausted the initial 26 week UI benefit, Tier 1 (20 wks), Tier 2(13 wks) and I am currently collecting EB due to expire March 6(20wks). Will I be eligible for Tier 3 upon expiration of the EB benefits March 6 if the 30 day extension is passed? When do you think the vote will be? Thanks so much!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey707 View Post
Diorgirl... I've read the blog back a couple weeks or so trying to figure out what is happening in DC with the approaching deadline and what it means for me....thanks so much for all of your help....you are a wealth of knowledge! I have a few questions...maybe you can help me...I am a PA resident, I have exhausted the initial 26 week UI benefit, Tier 1 (20 wks), Tier 2(13 wks) and I am currently collecting EB due to expire March 6(20wks). Will I be eligible for Tier 3 upon expiration of the EB benefits March 6 if the 30 day extension is passed? When do you think the vote will be? Thanks so much!
I think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will try very hard to get the 30-day extension done this week -- but it will depend on how sincere Republican Leader Mitch McConnell thinks Reid is about using the month of March to cut a deal on the tax break expiration package.

If the Republicans think it's worthwhile to give Reid the 30-day extension, they will do it quickly.

IMO, I think Reid will get the 30-day extension passed -- if not this week then next.

If it does pass, after you exhaust EB in March 2010, you should be eligible for Tier III -- as well as for the 14th week of Tier II that was enacted with Tiers III and IV.

You might want to check Pennsylvania's DOL website as they react to any changes in EUC Tier cut-offs, however short the extension might be: Federal Programs UC Information

Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,308 times
All of this is a bit confusing to me. I have been watching the Senate extension stuff and am more confused now after reading these threads than I was before.

I have exhausted Regular unemployment and I am currently in EUC Tier I.(Ithink that sounds right) My last full Tier I request is March 22 with a little left over so I guess that would make my last request on April 5th. I am hoping and praying things pick up and I get some work. Hopefully once this weather clears up construction will pick up. Would I go to Tier 2 or EB or what? Or is that it?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 AM

45 posts, read 149,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
All of this is a bit confusing to me. I have been watching the Senate extension stuff and am more confused now after reading these threads than I was before.

I have exhausted Regular unemployment and I am currently in EUC Tier I.(I think that sounds right) My last full Tier I request is March 22 with a little left over so I guess that would make my last request on April 5th. I am hoping and praying things pick up and I get some work. Hopefully once this weather clears up construction will pick up. Would I go to Tier 2 or EB or what? Or is that it?
For anyone whose EUC Tier I benefits end in April obviously a 30 day extension would not provide adequate time to transition to Tier II prior to a new cut-off date of the end of March.

But as a general rule, you should be able to transition to Tier II in April if Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell can initiate a compromise that leads to an extension beyond the 30 day 'quick fix'.

BTW, good luck with your job search. I just heard yesterday that construction unemployment is 23%.

Last edited by sdmike19874; 02-24-2010 at 03:30 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,450 times
Default Euc eb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

I have exhausted Regular unemployment and I am currently in EUC Tier I.(Ithink that sounds right) My last full Tier I request is March 22 with a little left over so I guess that would make my last request on April 5th. I am hoping and praying things pick up and I get some work. Hopefully once this weather clears up construction will pick up. Would I go to Tier 2 or EB or what? Or is that it?
Sounds like you will exhaust your EUC Tier with week ending Saturday April 3rd. Under the current legislation you would have to exhaust a Tier by February 27th in order to start the next Tier on February 28th, otherwise you complete your current Tier. However, EB (extended benefits) may be available in your State after you complete all Tiers available to you.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,308 times
Thank you for the replies. TX does have EB from what I have seen.

So just to be clear:

If the 30 days gets passed I cannot go to Tier II because I'm just a few days/weeks from the cutoff date.

Kinda sad....at the banks request we took 30% cuts in pay to fight for our jobs and still got laid off a few weeks later. I made it all the way until they closed the doors after 2 rounds of layoffs. (Wells Fargo called in the note and put 60+ people out of work. Banker got to buy new tires for his new porche out of the deal though. Wells Fargo is a sham, I read where they took one of the biggest loans from the Gov and now want to sell bonds to customers to pay it back while most everyone else has paid it back or paying it back.)

If they pass it through dec 2010 I can move to Tier II.

Well...I wish everyone the best of luck.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Default House Passes one Month Extension for UI & COBRA subsidy

In a voice vote this evening, the House voted to extend the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers program and the COBRA premium subsidy for one month.

This stopgap measure is intended to give legislators more time to determine longer-ranging actions on these programs.

The bill has been sent to the Senate for consideration.

House votes to extend unemployment benefits - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/25/AR2010022504593.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM

343 posts, read 604,643 times
Thanks for the update diorgirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment