Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

21 posts, read 48,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The Senate bill introduced Monday would provide the COBRA premium subsidy for those who were involuntarily terminated from their jobs from March 1, 2010, through December 31, 2010. Under the COBRA subsidy program, former employees pay 35% of their COBRA premium; the former employer pays 65% of the premium and receives a federal tax credit in return. The length of the subsidy would be 15 months.

This is the same 15-month benefit already provided to those who were involuntarily terminated from September 1, 2008, through February 28, 2010 -- which applied to periods of health care coverage after February 17, 2009.

The proposed extension of the eligibility date for the COBRA premium subsidy will have no effect on those already collecting the subsidy.
Is there any information as to a possible extension for those currently in their 15 months of COBRA + ARRA subsidy?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpureScience View Post
Is there any information as to a possible extension for those currently in their 15 months of COBRA + ARRA subsidy?
Nothing more since Sestak raised the issue in mid-February (copy of prior post on that event below). No one in the House or in the Senate has stepped forward to back his plan to extend benefits for those already collecting the COBRA premium subsidy.

Quote:
Joe Sestak -- Democratic Representative from Pennsylvania and current Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate from that state -- called for further extensions of COBRA assistance. Those following this subject since last year will recall that Sestak championed the initial COBRA 65%/35% premium subsidy for 9 months -- and then its extension to 15 months in 2009.

Sestak is now calling on Congressional leaders -- including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid -- to pass legislation that would:
(1) allow all those currently receiving COBRA premium assistance to continue receiving it at least through December 31, 2010;

(2) allow those who are fired between now and the end of the year to be eligible for COBRA premium assistance; and

(3) allow those currently receiving traditional COBRA continuation coverage to stay on COBRA until at least December 2010.
[Note that this third element would be the first serious request to extend the traditional 18 months of regular COBRA to year-end 2010 for current participants.]

Sestak fights for workers in danger of losing health care benefits.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM

21 posts, read 48,549 times
Quote:
Nothing more since Sestak raised the issue in mid-February (copy of prior post on that event below). No one in the House or in the Senate has stepped forward to back his plan to extend benefits for those already collecting the COBRA premium subsidy.
Thanks. I guess there's a chance but it doesn't seem like something to count on.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Obama to Sign One-Month Extension Bill for UI & COBRA

Tuesday evening, the U.S. Senate passed the House bill (HR 4691) extending UI benefits and the COBRA premium subsidy by one month, retroactive to March 1, 2010, through March 31, 2010.

Because the Senate passed the House version of the bill without amendment, the bill was sent directly to President Obama for his signature.

The Senate vote was 78 to 19 -- all 19 votes against the measure were cast by Republicans.

The one-month temporary extension is intended as a stop-gap to provide Congress with more time to finalize a bill that would extend the benefits for a longer period.

On Monday of this week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Senator Max Baucus (D-Mont.) confirmed that they would be introducing an amended version of House bill HR 4213 to extend the cut-off date for the EUC Tier system and COBRA premium subsidy through December 31, 2010. They also propose to extend 100% funding of EB by the federal government through year-end 2010.

U.S. Senate Sends to Obama Extension of Unemployment Benefits - BusinessWeek
House Approves Short-Term Extension Of Unemployment, Cobra Benefits - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100225-722873.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines - broken link)
Capitol Hill Reports - Unemployment Benefits Extension Could Clear Senate This Week

Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,644,878 times
This is great news. If I’m about to start Tier III in NJ does this mean I’ll be eligible now for Tier IV? If yes, will the end of Tier IV be the end of benefits?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
This is great news. If I’m about to start Tier III in NJ does this mean I’ll be eligible now for Tier IV? If yes, will the end of Tier IV be the end of benefits?
Under the new one-month extension through March 31, 2010:

If you complete regular benefits no later than Saturday, March 20, you can start Tier I. The last day you can start Tier I will be Sunday, March 21.

If you complete a Tier no later than Saturday, March 27, you will be eligible to start the next Tier. The last day you can start a new Tier is on Sunday, March 28.

If you complete a Tier after March 27, you cannot go on to a new Tier until Congress extends the cut-off dates again.

At this time, Tier IV is the last of the EUC Tiers. When you exhaust the Tiers available to you, you may be eligible for EB, if your state provides that extension. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,644,878 times
Quote:
Under the new one-month extension through March 31, 2010:

If you complete regular benefits no later than Saturday, March 20, you can start Tier I. The last day you can start Tier I will be Sunday, March 21.

If you complete a Tier no later than Saturday, March 27, you will be eligible to start the next Tier. The last day you can start a new Tier is on Sunday, March 28.

If you complete a Tier after March 27, you cannot go on to a new Tier until Congress extends the cut-off dates again.

At this time, Tier IV is the last of the EUC Tiers. When you exhaust the Tiers available to you, you may be eligible for EB, if your state provides that extension. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.
I checked NJ’s DOL website and the way I read it I’m good for Tier III which will end May 30th. Unless there’s an extension for Tier IV by then I’m done with the Tier system. EB requirements state” Individuals must have had 20 base weeks of work (earning a minimum of $143 in 2009, earning a minimum of $145 in 2010) or earned 40 times their weekly benefit rate on their UI claim.” I was laid off during the first week of January 2009 but I earned more than $143. If I need 20 base weeks in 2009 I don’t have that. The wording is unclear. Either way I will be sent notifications regarding eligibility in the mail.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,491,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
I checked NJ’s DOL website and the way I read it I’m good for Tier III which will end May 30th. Unless there’s an extension for Tier IV by then I’m done with the Tier system. EB requirements state” Individuals must have had 20 base weeks of work (earning a minimum of $143 in 2009, earning a minimum of $145 in 2010) or earned 40 times their weekly benefit rate on their UI claim.” I was laid off during the first week of January 2009 but I earned more than $143. If I need 20 base weeks in 2009 I don’t have that. The wording is unclear. Either way I will be sent notifications regarding eligibility in the mail.
Base weeks refers to your base-year period, not your first benefit year. October 2007 to September 2008 would have been used as your base-year unless they used an alternate method.

More about "BASE YEAR" periods Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

** BASE YEAR- 52-week period on which a claim is based. A regular base year consists of the first four (4) of the last five (5) completed calendar quarters. If you do not have sufficient weeks and wages for a valid claim using the regular base year, an alternative base year may be used.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM

128 posts, read 219,689 times
I exhausted my initial benefits on monday 3/1 which was the week ending 2/28. I was under the impression I wasn't eligible for tier 1 until the extension was pushed. I got the notice on the website that said that i may be eligible for extensions and that my claim would be requested automatically. Today I got the normal paper in the mail that shows my payment was deposited and the week it was for but there is a call date. am I missing something or was I pushed to tier 1 eventhough I was a week late? anyway to confirm this before the call in date of the 8th?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
I exhausted my initial benefits on monday 3/1 which was the week ending 2/28. I was under the impression I wasn't eligible for tier 1 until the extension was pushed. I got the notice on the website that said that i may be eligible for extensions and that my claim would be requested automatically. Today I got the normal paper in the mail that shows my payment was deposited and the week it was for but there is a call date. am I missing something or was I pushed to tier 1 eventhough I was a week late? anyway to confirm this before the call in date of the 8th?
It is possible that your state chose to be proactive with the idea that legislation would be passed to extend the EUC deadline at least 30 days. I believe you could certainly call your DOL office to see their procedures regarding the amended legislation. I would continue to certify as normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment