Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,990,288 times

Advertisements

This post corrects a schedule I posted earlier today for the latest extension of cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers. Just before passage, HR 4691 was amended to change the cut-off date to April 5, 2010, from March 31, 2010.

Accordingly, these are the correct cut-off dates under the new one-month extension through April 5, 2010:

If you complete regular benefits no later than Saturday, March 27, you can start Tier I. The last day you can start Tier I will be Sunday, March 28.

If you complete a Tier no later than Saturday, April 3, you will be eligible to start the next Tier. The last day you can start a new Tier is on Sunday, April 4.

If you complete a Tier after April 3, you cannot go on to a new Tier until Congress extends the cut-off dates again.

At this time, Tier IV is the last of the EUC Tiers. When you exhaust the Tiers available to you, you may be eligible for EB, if your state provides that extension. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

My apologies for the earlier miscommunication.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Reid Predicts Passage of Longer Extensions Next Week

Thursday evening, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) confirmed that there would be no votes in the Senate on Friday or Monday on HR 4213, the bill carrying the longer-term extensions of cut-off dates of the EUC Tier program, the COBRA premium subsidy, and other benefits.

But Reid predicted that the Senate would pass the bill next week. He is reportedly prepared to call for cloture if necessary to limit further debate.

Congress is scheduled to be in recess March 29 - April 11, 2010. Leaders of both chambers have said that they also want to address the House's amendments to the Senate's version of the jobs creation bill, as well as health care reform legislation before the break.

Reid Predicts Passage Next Week of Unemployment Bill - Roll Call

Last edited by diorgirl; 03-04-2010 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM

Default McConnell and Reid Finally Agree

On Friday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said another extension of unemployment insurance benefits will likely be passed by the Congress next week. That puts McConnell in agreement with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), who a day earlier predicted the same result for HR 4213.

Just FYI, McConnell is the senior Senator from Jim Bunning's state, Kentucky. Bunning was the Senator who stalled passage for several days of the temporary UI extension that finally passed last week.

McConnell: Unemployment Benefits Extension Likely To Pass - Politics News Story - WLKY Louisville (http://www.wlky.com/politics/22757455/detail.html - broken link)

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM

11,353 posts, read 18,988,216 times
When my wife and I certified for our weekly benefits on the NY DOL site, it had this message, so I guess no "gap" or "break" in my state:

"Legislation was passed extending eligibility dates for benefit extensions to week ending April 4, 2010. There will not be a break in your benefits, as long as you continue claiming weekly benefits in the usual manner. You do not have to file a new claim unless the system advises you to do so. For updates, please continue checking this website. For additional information about unemployment benefit extensions, click here. For an estimate of the number of benefit weeks you may be currently eligible for, see Benefits Chart or use the Benefits Calculator."

Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM

21 posts, read 48,537 times
Default Transitioning From Federal To State COBRA

NY State seems to have a mini-COBRA plan that adds another 18 months to the federal 18 month maximum for coverage, if I read correctly. Does anyone here know how the transition happens (or if the recipient needs to initiate the process) when/if needed?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Default Legislative Update on EUC Tiers and COBRA Subsidy

EUC Tiers and COBRA Premium Subsidy
Today, the Senate voted 66 to 34 to invoke cloture and avoid a filibuster on The Tax Extenders Act of 2009 (HR 4213). Eight Republican senators joined with Democrats to advance the bill.

Amendments to HR 4213 include the extensions of the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers -- and of eligibility for the COBRA premium subsidy -- to the end of the year. The Senate is expected to pass HR 4213 this week, and send it to the House for their vote.

Jobs Creation
The House and the the Senate continue to seesaw on jobs creation. The House first passed a jobs bill in December 2009 -- the Jobs For Main Street Act (HR 2847) -- which included extensions of the EUC Tiers and the COBRA subsidy. Rather than pass the House's bill, in February the Senate passed its own version of the jobs bill -- the Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act (still numbered HR 2847) -- which omitted any extension in EUC Tiers or in the COBRA subsidy.

Last week, the House passed its version of the Senate's HIRE Act, but it modified several provisions -- primarily in the sources of funding for the bill. The House did not add any unemployment or COBRA benefits. The House has sent the amended HIRE bill back to the Senate for their vote.

WebCPA - Tools and Resources for the Electronic Accountant - An Investcorp and SourceMedia Publication
White House notes bipartisan vote in Senate on extenders bill - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM

170 posts, read 330,171 times
SENATE HAS PASSED Vote 62-36 HR4213 Unemployment Extension Bill now on to the House of Reps for tweeking, and Obama for signing into Law.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM

69 posts, read 170,586 times
Does this bill also extend Cobra? Is it still 15 months for the 35% subsidy and 18 months in total?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM

640 posts, read 1,990,809 times
Is there a way to find out what's on the House's agenda for Friday, 3/12 and for next week? I'm interested in finding out whether they are going to address H.R. 4213 or not.

They go on 'vacation' (I know, that's not the formal term) on 3/19, so I'm wondering what's going on with them; why haven't we heard anything?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by Jane0218; 03-11-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: date correction

Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg0959 View Post
Does this bill also extend Cobra? Is it still 15 months for the 35% subsidy and 18 months in total?
Under HR 4213, the 15-month federal COBRA premium subsidy of 65% would be extended to employees involuntarily terminated through December 31, 2010.

The bill also redefines a "premium assistance eligible individual'' for COBRA continuation coverage. As redefined, the law now treats as a qualifying event the involuntary termination of employment of any qualified beneficiary who did not make (or who made and discontinued) an election of COBRA coverage on the basis of a reduction of hours of employment.

The COBRA amendments attached to the bill will have no effect on those already using the COBRA premium subsidy. It does not extend the length of the standard 18-month COBRA coverage; nor does it extend the length of the 15-month premium subsidy.

COBRA extension approved: Here’s the fine print | HR Morning | Your daily dose of HR
President signs COBRA and UI benefits extension - 03/10/10
Senate passes COBRA premium subsidy extension | Business Insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment