Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,840 times

Advertisements

Thanks, diorgirl.

Hopefully, Congress will extend the EUC past 2/28/10. In my area, five stores have closed in the past two months' two of them were large franchise stores. I live in a suburban area near Philadelphia, which, I have read, hasn't borne the full brunt of the recession. More businesses have closed here in the past six months than in the past two years. It seems we are getting a delayed reaction to the recession. It will be a real shame if people recently laid off don't get the benefit of EUC.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 91,669 times
Hi Diorgirl,
I have a question for you, I received a letter 4 days after I exhausted my initial 26 weeks, here is what they said in the second paragraph of the letter. It does give me a date to certify for the EUC benefits and it gave me an amount which I can get and the WBR is the same as always.

The letter says "Notice to Claimant of Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Eligibility" on the top with a date to certify for the EUC benefits and it says I can do it online or by phone. Here is the wording of the second paragraph of the letter, does it mean I'm approved or is it pending? The wording can get confusing and I could use some help with this, thank you!

"Our records indicate that you have recently exhausted regular unemployment benefits and have sufficient base year earnings to meet the monetary criteria for the EUC Program. You may be eligible to receive EUC benefits if you are still unemployed or working part-time as of the date listed above in Block #5. Your weekly benefit rate and the potential amount you could receive, if you are eligible, are shown above in Block #7 and Block #8. If you disagree with the EUC weekly or maximum benefit amount or with the EUC date of claim, you may file an appeal"

Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,978,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter0903 View Post
Hi Diorgirl,
I have a question for you, I received a letter 4 days after I exhausted my initial 26 weeks, here is what they said in the second paragraph of the letter. It does give me a date to certify for the EUC benefits and it gave me an amount which I can get and the WBR is the same as always.

The letter says "Notice to Claimant of Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Eligibility" on the top with a date to certify for the EUC benefits and it says I can do it online or by phone. Here is the wording of the second paragraph of the letter, does it mean I'm approved or is it pending? The wording can get confusing and I could use some help with this, thank you!

"Our records indicate that you have recently exhausted regular unemployment benefits and have sufficient base year earnings to meet the monetary criteria for the EUC Program. You may be eligible to receive EUC benefits if you are still unemployed or working part-time as of the date listed above in Block #5. Your weekly benefit rate and the potential amount you could receive, if you are eligible, are shown above in Block #7 and Block #8. If you disagree with the EUC weekly or maximum benefit amount or with the EUC date of claim, you may file an appeal"
You're approved -- they only send the specific dollar amount and new certification date when you are approved.

The paragraph you quote is simply a way to say that even though you are eligible for this amount, you must still certify every two weeks that you remain unemployed, as one does for all UI benefits. Otherwise, you might interpret the notice as confirming that you are entitled to the full EUC benefit stated without further qualification -- and remaining unemployed is a requirement for continuing benefits.

In addition, the amount the notice says you can receive may be reduced by any earnings you have during the EUC period -- for example, from part-time or temporary work -- just as regular UI can be reduced for earnings during the period you are collecting.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM

55 posts, read 91,669 times
Diorgirl,
Thank you as always, you are a tremendous help to us all!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM

59 posts, read 250,859 times
Sounds like we'll be holding onto our seats as the end of Feb. draws near much like the end of Dec. Hopefully, when and if, congress extends the next deadline, it'll be something more substantial so we wouldn't have to play this game every 2 months.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM

169 posts, read 275,404 times
I'm wondering if there will be a tier 5 or will everyone just drop off unemployment and not be counted in the unemployed anymore therefore lowering the amount of "unemployed people" on the books..........its getting close and scarry....still no jobs and its not looking like anything is going to open up for awhile...stores are closing....in fact i got my dad a gift card to Hollywood Video for christmas and the first week of Jan it was closed..how much does that stink

Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM

24 posts, read 58,789 times
I have heard that if your state (or maybe just mine-PA) remains in an EB period that you can collect from that. So maybe if Congress does not continue it, our states can help. Or i might just be naive, lol.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM

129 posts, read 533,512 times
psk691: PA is still in an EB period. Only 13 weeks of benefits, though. Hopefully, the federal gov't will allow the High Unemployment Period in again (or HUP-EB) so that people on EB will get 20 weeks of beneifts with the HUP instead of 13 without. Besides extending unemployment, congress needs to either create more Tiers or extend the current tiers available. Tiers 2, 3, and 4 need to be extended to 20 weeks each instead of 14, 13, and 6 weeks respectively.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM

170 posts, read 330,017 times
NEWS FLASH FOR MONTH OF DECEMBER 2009 NJ Unemployment Rate is now 10.1% up from 9.7%

Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitstu View Post
psk691: PA is still in an EB period. Only 13 weeks of benefits, though. Hopefully, the federal gov't will allow the High Unemployment Period in again (or HUP-EB) so that people on EB will get 20 weeks of beneifts with the HUP instead of 13 without. Besides extending unemployment, congress needs to either create more Tiers or extend the current tiers available. Tiers 2, 3, and 4 need to be extended to 20 weeks each instead of 14, 13, and 6 weeks respectively.
I'm in PA as well and I found this on their website:
"On Dec. 19, 2009, the president signed into law new legislation to continue the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) and Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) programs and delay the phase out of the programs until the end of February, 2010. In addition, this legislation allows High Unemployment Period Extended Benefits (HUP EB) to continue through February, 2010."

So I think if you are on EB in PA you still receive 20 weeks for HUP EB.

This was found at: Federal Programs UC Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment