Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

per OP
yep the black cloud nobody wants to stand under, unemployment. people back away from black cloud people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's going to get worse as the extensions go on and on and the unemployed remain that for year after year, with the unemployed becoming permanently unemployed, sitting by receiving higher benefits based on some wage they earned in the distant past, unwilling to work for pay they view as too low - while millions of foreign citizens pour over the border more than happy to take those jobs.

The taxpayers will be gouged even more to pay for the non-working and that will lead to resentment -- in many cases the taxpayers are earning less than the unemployed are paid for not working.
Hey, I would be happy to take a job that pays $10 an hour while I go to school. I just don't want to be forced to live off $40 a week because that would require me to be on other forms of assistance such as food stamps, welfare, Medicaid. Right now, my unemployment is low, $265 a week, I would love to get off. I don't want to live off $40 a week because it is tough enough to live off $265 a week.

I am trying to go to school, look for work, and learn new skills. I don't want to be on unemployment forever. I have even considered part-time work or possibly voluteering in order to add more people to my network. No, not all of the unemployed are sitting around watching Days of Our Lives reruns.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Like I said in the other thread keep up on your border crossing news. It just isn't the case sorry, They are all heading home. Its obvious you haven't looked for a job lately either. It isn't a mere just below what people made in the past it is a non livable wage. To be honest I haven't been offered any jobs, You know why? Because there are 100 to 500 people applying for every open position. I want to work. You make it out like we are living the good life on UI. I'm not making my bills. Hows that for living the good life. Its awesome living I tell you what! yea I want to go on for years and years living like this
Come on, tell the truth, your going to school to improve your employment opportunities. Your old job is gone and not coming back. finish school and lets get to work. How knows ,you could be one of the 100 to 500 who gets the job. learning Spanish could be a plus!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
Come on, tell the truth, your going to school to improve your employment opportunities. Your old job is gone and not coming back. finish school and lets get to work. How knows ,you could be one of the 100 to 500 who gets the job. learning Spanish could be a plus!
Why else would I be going to school at this point in my life? My old job was in IT so no its not going away, There just isn't any jobs out there to get. Once your out in this economy your plain out screwed.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM

52 posts, read 196,525 times
For me, not so much those receiving benefits vs. those who do not qualify. Mainly, I've just noticed a disconnect between employed vs. unemployed. There are those who have experienced it and have walked in those shoes who will be sympathetic to the plight of the unemployed. Others may never have lost a job in their lives who act as if they have no clue.

My view is that times have certainly changed over the past 50 years or so. It's not too common to see the 25 or 30 year careers at one company. Those that exist are usually occupied by people getting close to retirement age now. Markets seem to be much more volatile now and you never know when your job will "disappear". I think a lot of times until someone has experienced it themselves, there will be a degree of disconnect towards those who are currently unemployed.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
per OP
you could be right.
american mind set, if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It irks me to no end when someone tells me I have no idea what it's like to be unemployed. I lost my dream job earlier this year when the company was sold, and I was unemployed for a couple of months. While it wasn't long-term, it was certainly a tense time.
Congrats on finding a new position quickly. I can relate. One of my previous job losses resulted from the company I was working at acquiring a company I had previously worked at. One might think that employees of the acquiring company would be given preference over those of the acquired company. Unfortunately that is not how they decided to play it and my position was terminated although in my opinion there were other factors at play. Since I had quit the acquired company in the past they may have felt I burned bridges with them or something.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
per OP
you could be right.
american mind set, if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen.
Exactly. There are those, believe it or not, who say they chose not to "participate" in this recession.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng2 View Post
Congrats on finding a new position quickly. I can relate. One of my previous job losses resulted from the company I was working at acquiring a company I had previously worked at. One might think that employees of the acquiring company would be given preference over those of the acquired company. Unfortunately that is not how they decided to play it and my position was terminated although in my opinion there were other factors at play. Since I had quit the acquired company in the past they may have felt I burned bridges with them or something.
That's the way it worked for the most part with my old company, If they hadn't sold out I would still have a job now. We were acquired and 75 percent of my old company got tossed out including me. They kept me for 8 months and after they knew everything they needed I got canned. The economy happening was just a bonus for them as it made it much easier to do so. One interview a few months after that and nothing since, Going on 13 months out now.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng2 View Post
Mainly, I've just noticed a disconnect between employed vs. unemployed. There are those who have experienced it and have walked in those shoes who will be sympathetic to the plight of the unemployed. Others may never have lost a job in their lives who act as if they have no clue.

My view is that times have certainly changed over the past 50 years or so. It's not too common to see the 25 or 30 year careers at one company. Those that exist are usually occupied by people getting close to retirement age now. Markets seem to be much more volatile now and you never know when your job will "disappear". I think a lot of times until someone has experienced it themselves, there will be a degree of disconnect towards those who are currently unemployed.
It's been that way for some time and I don't understand why workers don't have a plan 2. Like, what will I do I i get sick/hurt and can't work or what will i do if the company I work for closes. etc. etc.

folks were spending money like there was no tomorrow in the good times and now trouble has come to their doorstep. and your right, those that have never been without work don't understand the the world of the unemeployed, why, because they have never been there, they always had a backup plan, they have alway knew something could happen to put them out of work, they were the best of the best and their employer knew it. They were hard workers. and some have been out of work before and told themself, it will never happen again.

You know what they say. When the going gets tuff, the tuff get going.

the disconnect is that the employed believe that they have worked their ass off to get where they are at in life and others haven't. Plain and simple.

FYI, the ones getting close to retirement are usally the ones that get canned first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment