Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I'll hazard a guess that the reason most people were compelled to go online and re-file a 2nd claim (one year after the initial claim) is that they got a letter in mid-extension-cycle asking for verification of their most recent employer.

That letter says you can either call or go online. The only thing you can really do online is re-file the entire claim (not just email them your last employer info and nothing else). Calling is generally futile; wouldn't they just tell you to re-file the claim anyhow? They should make it clear that the re-filing of the entire claim is most likely a convenient way for them to get your employer info electronically. They are probably also testing your veracity against the initial claim info you gave them. Many things could be going on behind the scenes at the EDD.

All that confusion just seems to be their procedural way of generating the 1277 "invalid claim" letter, which confusingly arrives right around the same time as the apparent brand new claim. In other words, you get an acceptance letter and a rejection letter almost simultaneously! I'm guessing it's two separate departments that don't communicate with each other because of some arcane issue. Adding to that confusion (in my case) were 2 extra duplicate claim forms that had no checks attached. Still not sure what to do with them.

All I'm expecting is the $4k left on my 2nd (Federal money) extension, and not the $12k dangled in front of me on the brand new (CA State money) claim. I haven't worked at all in the past year, so the State has no legal obligation to give me another full year of benefits, but the Federal Government should make good on the remaining $4k that was interrupted by all those letters.

It just seems to be a case of robotic procedures with no general attempt to explain what it all means, but at least most of the filings seem to be automatic now.

I'm in your position, and seems to be similar to Alegna's position. It's been a year since i started receiving my unemployment payments. [original claim filed 05/23/2009 - 05/23/2010] Received the 1277 which says that I had not met the requalification requirements [I believe this is actually untrue, because in one quarter, I got paid 1300$+ and in another quarter, i got paid 1300$+. Therefore, I think I qualify under both requirements (a) and (b)]

3 days after i was issued the 1277, I receive 2 letters from CA EDD saying that, one, NOTICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE CLAIM FILED, and two, NOTICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE AWARD. Basically, complete contradictory to the 1277. We all noticed this confusion.

From what i read from your experiences, the 1277 overrules the latter letters, even though the date issued was BEFORE the latter letters... correct?

Then I have the continued claim form that I filed, and presumably, it still has around 3500$ left, and then after that, I'm done?

My question is, what do I have to submit to prove that I qualify for another year under CA State claim?? Just pay stubs? What if I don't have the paystubs, on the check that cleared from a freelance job? What if people get paid in cash and reported that? Do they ask for more proof?

*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Is CA one of the states that halt EB if it isn't federally funded? I was under the impression in CA you could still get FED-ED if you were eligible even if the deadlines for EUC weren't extended.

They sure haven't fallen below the trigger % for 3 consecutive months.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucey View Post
I'm in your position, and seems to be similar to Alegna's position. It's been a year since i started receiving my unemployment payments. [original claim filed 05/23/2009 - 05/23/2010] Received the 1277 which says that I had not met the requalification requirements [I believe this is actually untrue, because in one quarter, I got paid 1300$+ and in another quarter, i got paid 1300$+. Therefore, I think I qualify under both requirements (a) and (b)]

3 days after i was issued the 1277, I receive 2 letters from CA EDD saying that, one, NOTICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE CLAIM FILED, and two, NOTICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE AWARD. Basically, complete contradictory to the 1277. We all noticed this confusion.

From what i read from your experiences, the 1277 overrules the latter letters, even though the date issued was BEFORE the latter letters... correct?

Then I have the continued claim form that I filed, and presumably, it still has around 3500$ left, and then after that, I'm done?

My question is, what do I have to submit to prove that I qualify for another year under CA State claim?? Just pay stubs? What if I don't have the paystubs, on the check that cleared from a freelance job? What if people get paid in cash and reported that? Do they ask for more proof?

*sigh*
It seems that no matter what state you're in, the recertify after the first BY ends goes a lot more smoothly for those that didn't work since they filed. Not having worked makes you ineligible for a new claim and they simply deny you and re-open your original claim.

and for a previous poster, there's no "ulterior motive" it's simply a requirement that EVERYone files for a new claim at the end of the first BY.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 181,183 times
Well I got in touch with EDD via email no less (amazing) and asked them about the new claim award information they sent me in April. So they tell me they are going to send me the "blue" envelope and to mail them my check stub for the week 3/29/09 - 4/3/09. So I get a hold of my old HR department and since that check was done manually it does not show all the YTD info so not sure if that is what they want to see. So I was able to obtain the paystub before and the paystub after and I will send in all 3 and see if it qualifies me for a new claim which I believe it should because don't you have to make $1377 in a quarter? I made $1509.81 before taxes per paycheck and the Jan/Feb/Mar earnings total over $10,000 so that qualifies me I think for a new claim. The also cruddy thing about my last paycheck is it shows pay date of 4/9/09 but I got paid on my last day of 4/3/09 which was a Friday and 4/9 I think was the regular pay date. So if I don't qualify because of some stupid error like that i'm going to be pissed. So I will keep you all updated once I send in the paystubs to see if I do qualify for a new claim or not. Let's hope congress makes a decision today on the extensions as i'm sure many of you like myself have run out of benefits and are making those fun decisions of should I buy food or make my house payment.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

As far as the date on the paystub goes - they go by the date you earned the income not the date you were paid for it, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks Opyelie I was worried. Still unsure as to whether or not I made enough to qualify as I still don't understand the 1277. Today's mail brought a new continued claim form for dates 6/13 - 6/19 which I will mail off on Monday - whether I get a check or not is the mystery as i'm unsure why I was sent the continued claim form. It had no info on it (my 2nd extension ran out already) regarding new claim or existing claim so we shall see. I'm still waiting on the blue envelope to send my pay stubs. I will keep this site updated with my status in case of others going through same thing.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Well the continued claim form I received Friday is 1 more week of benefits for the 2nd extension. I guess instead of 13 weeks, 2nd extension is for 14 weeks. I got the letter today (sat) after the continued claim form. So now I know I will get paid for one more week which is better than no money. Still waiting on the special "blue" envelopes EDD said they would send me so I can mail check stubs.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Mailing my check stubs EDD is requesting. Now, letter states that I needed to make at least $1300 in a quarter from 3/29/09 - 3/29/10 in order to qualify for new claim. My last check was for $1509 (before taxes). Does that qualify? I also received severance in April 2009 that was $17k but I don't think that qualifies as income but I don't know. Fingers crossed I qualify for a new claim.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Whether a new claim is a good thing for you or not depends on whether your WBA on the new claim will be less or more than your WBA on the original claim.

Severance pay seems to be treated differently re "income" from state to state. I hope you reported it at the time or it could come back to bite you.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,622 times
Help! Looks like we all are going thru similar situations. I've been unemployed since 04/2009. The last check I received from EDD was the week of May 27, 2010

June 3rd: Received notice in the mail "Unemployment Insurance Award"
June 4th: Received notice to mail pay stubs for eligibility, which I did the following day, June 5th 2010
The following day, I received an interview for June 16th
June 16th: Did the interview and the gentleman told me that he will be "mailing my check"
It is now June 22nd and still no check. I emailed EDD yesterday thru their website and received a reply asking for my pay check stubs. WHAT? I replied back saying the same thing i did above this post and still haven't heard back. I am very very confused, buried in bills, and need food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment