Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM

117 posts, read 218,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
I guess the wellfare offices will be packed in 30 days or less, where will that money come from?? Do you think we will have thousands of people living on the street? There has to be some kind of help with the jobless rate so high and it does not seem that it will get much better any time soon? What is the answer?????????
I don't know the answer; but in my state, I don't know about other states, welfare, or housing support or any cash benefits, are only available if you have children. I have one, but he will be 18 soon, so as always, I have never been on that type of welfare, or any at all.
With that in mind, the teenager's, or my son soon to be 18, have no jobs either ..... Constant stress & worry.

I did see about food stamps, that is available, but I am wondering if you can collect that if you have no address.

Sorry, I asked more questions when you were really asking for answers.

I did hear on the news, that the welfare recipients, including food stamps, were going to put an even more heavy burdon on state.

Sorry for the bummer post, guess it matches my mood.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
I guess the wellfare offices will be packed in 30 days or less, where will that money come from?? Do you think we will have thousands of people living on the street? There has to be some kind of help with the jobless rate so high and it does not seem that it will get much better any time soon? What is the answer?????????
They will no doubt pass the hr 4213 extension very soon. I would not worry about it. As I said, it is a temporary band aid that will drain the government down faster. Regardless, I will be joining you all soon after once the government is completely broke and we are all roaming the streets.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM

194 posts, read 314,417 times
Well today this is what I did
#1 sent out 3 cv's
#2 went to Home depot (nothing available)
#3 went to lowes ( nothing at this time)
#4 went to shoprite ( they had a job sweeping and cleaning) 11pm -4am
$7.50 per hr

I was a scientist for 33yrs made good money have had only one interview in 15 months

Tomorrow lets see how much more depressed I can get. I don't want the gov money I want a job but let's face it min wage is not going to do very much unless I'm living in a box.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 PM

17 posts, read 34,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
1322joe --

You do not mention what state you are in. After you exhaust your regular benefits, you may be eligible for EB before any extension of the EUC Tiers is passed. Those who responded previously may be in states that do not offer EB -- or they may have collected EB earlier on their claim. See my post reprinted below and check your state DOL website...
im in nj

Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They will no doubt pass the hr 4213 extension very soon. I would not worry about it. As I said, it is a temporary band aid that will drain the government down faster. Regardless, I will be joining you all soon after once the government is completely broke and we are all roaming the streets.
Perhaps, but they can't keep extending the deadlines forever. They know it and we know it. Unending UE compensation just isn't financially viable long term.

As it is, they have already effectively ended the Cobra subsidy and additional FAC for new claimants, added to which MANY states have changed their legislation to cease state Extended Benefits should there not be federal funding.

The only possible solution is for more jobs to be created but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think for a LONG time we have been OVERemployed (people employed FT in jobs that really didn't offer FT tasks) and now the economy is having a "correction".

Damned if I know what's going to happen, but it's not looking good.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM

306 posts, read 605,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Perhaps, but they can't keep extending the deadlines forever. They know it and we know it. Unending UE compensation just isn't financially viable long term.

As it is, they have already effectively ended the Cobra subsidy and additional FAC for new claimants, added to which MANY states have changed their legislation to cease state Extended Benefits should there not be federal funding.

The only possible solution is for more jobs to be created but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think for a LONG time we have been OVERemployed (people employed FT in jobs that really didn't offer FT tasks) and now the economy is having a "correction".

Damned if I know what's going to happen, but it's not looking good.

I think I can agree on the OVERemployed statement you made. I worked for my company for almost 20 years, and let me tell you...more people than not (FT ee's) had nothing to do the majority of the time...We always said they could combine 2-3 jobs and make one FT position. And, some of these people were making darn good salaries for about 3 hours of work a day.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1322joe View Post
im in nj
In New Jersey, when you exhaust your regular benefits, your account will automatically be reviewed to see if you are eligible for the next level of UI benefits available. If the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers have still not been extended at that time, you will probably qualify for EB.

At this time, NJ has triggered 20 weeks of EB.

You should expect to get a written determination of your next level of benefits within 7-10 days after you exhaust your regular benefits.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
JMy personal opinion is that neither side is going to let the unemployed fall over a cliff. The ramifications of us not getting our checks are going to send shock waves through the economy. Think of all the goods and services and necessities we purchase that will no longer be getting our funds. Guess what, THEY will lay people off to compensate for the loss in profit, more people on unemployment, more foreclosures, repossessed cars, crime... no way they are going to let it get to that.
You make an excellent point. It could be argued that the unemployment benefits are preventing the unemployment problem from getting worse. Giving the unemployed money to spend helps stimulate the economy in some sort of a way, slowing down the vicious circle of unemployment causing more unemployment. However, I wouldn't count on Congress, especially the Republicans, to understand that.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Last week, Senators Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) told reporters the Democratic caucus is beginning to think about how to bring an end to the federal unemployment benefits program, out of concern that the federal government may be creating a "vast new entitlement program."

As usual, business as usual - The Hill's Pundits Blog
Dem Source: Medicare “Doc Fix” 7 Months in New Bill, not 19 « The Speakers Lobby (http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/16/dem-source-medicare-doc-fix-7-months-in-new-bill-not-19/ - broken link)
The first article doesn't have anything to do with HR 4213. So what is your point? And for the second article, you conveniently left out the following:

"Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-MI, told Fox on Wednesday that she did not think that was a pervasive feeling in the Caucus, arguing that people who are receiving the weekly check really just want a job, not the money."

Not sure what your agenda is by only posting half of what is said.

I've read in numerous articles (all posted in this thread, not hard for you to find) where it has basically been said that it's not about giving the money, it's about finding a way to fit it into things without adding to the deficit.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 PM

162 posts, read 312,928 times
Looks like Baucus and Reid maybe either stripping hr 4213 down by taking out the state medicare bailouts (24 billion and already funded to the end of the year)or stripping the unemployment extensions out and doing what they did for the Doc fix. There is a strong push right now to move the extensions out on their own. They would get the 60 votes. Gotta remember, those republicans are voting no because they are using the total cost of hr4213 as an excuse. That way they can go back to their states and say we had to vote no due to the entire price tag. I'm not so sure they would be willing to vote no on just the unemployment extensions. Especially when some of their respective states have over 9-10% unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment