Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Apparently ghosts are personally offended and refuse to show if you try to put them in test-tubes.

Seriously though... if there are intelligent, sentient minds behind the phenomenon which can flit in and out of our reality on a whim and don't want to be found nor have any compunction to do things on our terms, is any surprise there is no hard proof of their existence?

Anyway, seeing is believing and I would be a unbeliever if I hadn't seen what I have. Hardcore skeptics are welcome to be skeptical (hell, I take a lot of flack for being a skeptic around here!) but new arrivals to "the club" need to know they aren't crazy just because they experienced something that shouldn't be. It turns out there is more to "everything" than we thought, that's all.
I'd love to hear your experiences. I won't be judgemental and scoff, I promise lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
They do exist however I can no more prove it to you without a shadow of a doubt than you can prove to me that there isn't.

Tell ya what, let's both kill ourselves and see, the first person back here will have the absolute proof needed either way.
I read something years ago in my research on death that had to do with something closely related to what you are suggesting here.
Two lifelong friends who both felt there is life beyond the grave, made an agreement that when one of them passed, that one would come back and relate to the surviving friend, something they had agreed on before any of them passed.
As I recall, it concerned a piece of jewlery that they were both aware of.
Which ever one passed first,that one would be the force behind keeping the promise they had agreed too.
They agreed that the piece in question would appear, not in it's customary place in the jewlery box, but in plain view in a glass goblet that was on one of the shelves in the living room of the house they both shared.
Soon after one of them passed, the jewlery was indeed found inside the glass goblet , and not in the jewlery box.
At the time I was A bit skeptical things like this could happen, but over the years have learned anything is possible in the world of spirits.
You might want to try this with someone close to you that may be on in years, and would be expecterd to pass before you.
Make some sort of pact with that person, and odds are it will come to pass.
Bob.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Apparently ghosts are personally offended and refuse to show if you try to put them in test-tubes.

Seriously though... if there are intelligent, sentient minds behind the phenomenon which can flit in and out of our reality on a whim and don't want to be found nor have any compunction to do things on our terms, is any surprise there is no hard proof of their existence?

Anyway, seeing is believing and I would be a unbeliever if I hadn't seen what I have. Hardcore skeptics are welcome to be skeptical (hell, I take a lot of flack for being a skeptic around here!) but new arrivals to "the club" need to know they aren't crazy just because they experienced something that shouldn't be. It turns out there is more to "everything" than we thought, that's all.
Some people are such hardcore skeptics that they don't believe what they see with their own eyes. My ex was that way. After experiencing something that was without logical explanation when we were being bothered by what I think was a poltergeist, he turned white as a sheet and said "I have no explanation for that, but it wasn't supernatural"

Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Some people are such hardcore skeptics that they don't believe what they see with their own eyes. My ex was that way. After experiencing something that was without logical explanation when we were being bothered by what I think was a poltergeist, he turned white as a sheet and said "I have no explanation for that, but it wasn't supernatural"
i think i married his brother--ironically--he took up with a female that practiced voodoo--he didn't believe that either--now--his pocketbook is rather empty--and that finally set me free

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
I've never seen a ghost. I think you're right when you say that some people just can't see ghosts, just like some people are born deaf or blind; they just don't know what it's like to hear or see. But those of us who CAN hear and/or see cannot prove to the deaf or blind that both hearing and seeing "exist" and are real to us.

I think that MAYBE we can try to develop that sense or ability, but if we just didn't arrive with that particular genetic code, so to speak, we just don't have the code, and that's it. I have always believed 100 percent that some people can see ghosts, though.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I have always heard and I do believe, bacuse I've seen it -- that, for a skeptic, there is no "proof enough" in the world to prove it to them.

This goes for anything, by the way. I've had rollicking fights on retirement boards about "the magic number" (what you need to save) and people set the bar SO high they felt defeated on the outset and no matter what numbers were thrown at them, they didn't believe. There was no "proof enough"...

Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
This certainly doesn't prove anything, but it is interesting.

A few weeks ago, my wife was working on the Xmas card distribution list. She asked me to look up the address of some friends of ours, and not two seconds after the words left her mouth, and before my brain really processed what she just asked me to do, she got a text message.

When she looked at it, she went pale.

It was from "Anonymous", and it was the address she had just asked me for.

Haven't heard from "Anonymous" since then, I keep hoping he/she/it will send the upcoming lotto numbers lol...

Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default It's Reality TV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I had a friend once who told me some intriguing tales about the paranormal. He was a fellow university classmate, quite a bit older than me, and I actually found the fact he was so into spiritualism/the paranormal/ghosts a bit surprising since he seemed like such a rationalistic, scientific person.

Anyway he treated the existence of ghosts as fact. He said he'd often see them/or experienced them, including that of his deceased grandmother. I asked if I too could see them, and asked if he'd take me to see some of these ghosts. I forgot what he said but i don't think he thought i was serious.

Anyway, if ghosts cannot be seen by everyone, how can one be sure they are not in the mind of the one seeing them? If a skeptic paid a ghost hunter $1 million to prove the existence of ghosts, why has nobody collected the money yet? If it's a case of 'how much you believe in it' than it'll be impossible to prove.
Get a grip!

I'll watch grass grow but not unscripted reality television.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I've never seen a ghost. I think you're right when you say that some people just can't see ghosts, just like some people are born deaf or blind; they just don't know what it's like to hear or see. But those of us who CAN hear and/or see cannot prove to the deaf or blind that both hearing and seeing "exist" and are real to us.
This is an EXCELLENT analogy. So true. I will have to remember it for the next skeptic...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Though apparitions do exist - but why and how is different thread - as of now, y'all need to talk to the g'ol Harry. As in - Houdini. I think HE pretty much nailed it.

Oh, and btw. From real life experience - NEVER try to contact apparitions. In ANY form. It will have disastrous effect on you and your close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal