Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read about the crop circles about 20 years ago that some of the people who make them confessed, and said it was a new art form they'd invented. As such, I think they're pretty cool. Not sure why the mystery is being perpetuated, then.
Those circles might be 'pretty cool' but the farmers never felt that way. You take the time to cultivate, plant, your land and then pranksters come along and destroy your crops. I don't think the farmers ever cared for the 'researchers' coming along afterward - just more damage to your bottom line.

According to the Smithsonian article crop circles have been around since the 17th century. Hoaxes have been around from before that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Have you tried to tear open a can of beans that way?
No, I can't really explain that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a great article that appeared in the Smithsonian. com: Crop Circles: The Art of the Hoax- page 1 | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian. Notice how they refer to the culture of hoax makers while talking about crop circles. It fits right in with the BF crowd!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Bigfoot Evidence

Attachment 149402
Oh, horsecrap.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
No, I can't really explain that one.
What would be more likely to be able to tear open a can of beans, a hominid or a bear? We know bears have large claws. Hominids not so much.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
See this:

Transitional fossil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally, the outdated term missing link is used by creationists whose arguments are based on recycled 19th century understanding of thermodynamics and the fossil record, with little evidence of an understanding of more recent discoveries (like transitional species between therapods and birds, between fish and amphibians, between whales and their terrestrial ancestors, and yes, between hominids and other primates). Some of these findings are very recent indeed.

What I can say is that's there's no fossil evidence for a large primate in the New World, and no real candidates for a large Asian primate that might have served as an ancestor of bigfoot (gigantopithecus does not seem to be a good candidate for an omnivorous or carnivorous upright primate for a number of reasons). To imagine a hypothetical ancestor for which there's no evidence is just wishful thinking.
But the conversation we were having and you were responding two was whether a "Big Foot" had ever killed a person. Despite my statement clearly putting aside the question of whether Big Foot exists or not you responded:

"To believe human fatalities by Bigfoot, you'd have to first have proof of existence. There is currently none."

Humans have been around around 200,000 years and while I agree there is no evidence that Big Foots exist you certainly do not need to have proof of the existence of a creature before you believe it may have been possible. People can believe things that are not true. Also we do not have the fossil remains for all animals but that does not mean that some animal we no nothing about never killed a person. Like maybe a certain kind of bee that attacked and killed people trying to steal its valuable honey.

That is why I caged my statement the way I did. Of course you answered with absolutes in an area with incomplete records.

Good luck and have a nice day.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Bigfoot Evidence

Attachment 149402

I have not seen any bear crap other than photos. Doesn't look like any crap pile i have seen and associated with BF. I saw one that was so fresh it had steam coming off it on an early October morning.
Started out with a round fece and then it got real loose with lot's of liquid and full of berry seeds. Total pile about the same as a calf pile.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I have not seen any bear crap other than photos. Doesn't look like any crap pile i have seen and associated with BF. I saw one that was so fresh it had steam coming off it on an early October morning.
Started out with a round fece and then it got real loose with lot's of liquid and full of berry seeds. Total pile about the same as a calf pile.
What did it taste like?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I google "missing link" and what I get is articles posted within the last 24 hours by reuters, nytimes, abc, nbc, washingtonpost, npr.org, sciencedaily.com, dailymail.co.uk... all these sources are part of the "creationist circle"? Again, you claim to be orthodox, so you should know your Bible -- Genesis isn't a scientific text nor is it meant to represent a full history of the world prior to man. But you seem to believe that everyone who "believes" in creation thinks the world was created 4004 BC or so because Bishop Ussher said so. Even from the standpoint of believing the world was created millions or billions of years ago, there are serious problems with the "theory of evolution" as scientists are now (and have been) peddling it.
What does any of this have to do with what I've posted?

The sources you claim to have googled publish popularized articles on science for a mass audience. They're not written by or for an audience of scientists in the field.

I know my Bible, I know theology in its Orthodox, Roman and Protestant variations, and I know (and have read) creationist literature in its various manifestations from the naive arguments of the Gish young earth crowd to the more sophistcated arguments of so-called intellgent design types like Behe.

Regarding "serious problems" - I know of none that haven't been addressed by biologists. That includes the supposed puzzlers posed by the intelligent design crowd. But that's not what this thread is about.

What I suspect this is really about is your feelings or beliefs about me based on what I've written in other threads - curious that you'd question the truth of something (my Orthodoxy) I said about myself in some other thread. How is it you know so much about me?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
What does any of this have to do with what I've posted?

The sources you claim to have googled publish popularized articles on science for a mass audience. They're not written by or for an audience of scientists in the field.

I know my Bible, I know theology in its Orthodox, Roman and Protestant variations, and I know (and have read) creationist literature in its various manifestations from the naive arguments of the Gish young earth crowd to the more sophistcated arguments of so-called intellgent design types like Behe.

Regarding "serious problems" - I know of none that haven't been addressed by biologists. That includes the supposed puzzlers posed by the intelligent design crowd. But that's not what this thread is about.

What I suspect this is really about is your feelings or beliefs about me based on what I've written in other threads - curious that you'd question the truth of something (my Orthodoxy) I said about myself in some other thread. How is it you know so much about me?
But you know what I meant by missing link? So instead of addressing the issue you tried to turn it into an argument of semantics.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What did it taste like?

Never thought to try. Next time i'll save you a pile!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Never thought to try. Next time i'll save you a pile!
LOL. I am just pulling your leg, but some trackers will taste scat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal