Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:18 AM

997 posts, read 936,910 times

Advertisements

No I didn't. I know it was about Shoeless Joe Jackson, but there was more to it then that. His father also showed up. Everybody did, the players and the spectators... It was "they" and I didn't miss the plot entirely.

It was a long time ago that I saw that movie but I saw it quoted recently and the quote was "they"...

I also read the book.

Unless there is another plot that I am missing, like the plot of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
....Some common Mandela Effect phenomenon are:

"If you build it, they will come."/"If you build it, he will come."
Hmmm. I had thought it was in the imperative. Build it and they will come.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
...His father also showed up... It was "they" and I didn't miss the plot entirely...
"If you build it HE will come." The fundamental theme of the movie.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:46 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
Definition from Mandela Effect reddit:
"The phenomenon where a group of people discover that a global fact - one they feel they know to be true and have specific personal memories for - has apparently changed in the world around them."

There is quite a number of people online that claim that things changed. What they knew is changed and no longer exists exactly how they remembered it.

Some common Mandela Effect phenomenon are:

The Berenstein Bears/The Berenstain Bears

South America shifted further east

Febreeze/Febreze

Fruit Loops/Froot Loops

Looney Toons/Looney Tunes

Some say the Ford logo changed, the curly looking thing on the F being new.

Some say the Volkswagen logo changed, the V and W now separate, while they used to be merged.

"Luke, I am your father."/"No, I am your father."

"If you build it, they will come."/"If you build it, he will come."

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"/"Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

Some possible explanations are shifts between parallel universes, glitches in the matrix/simulation, top secret quantum computer changing reality, CERN, a time traveller changing the past, etc. The most simple is basically faulty human memory.

I am just curious about what you think of this topic?
Most of this is confabulation--memory is not perfect and some people would rather blame the world then the vagaries of the human mind.

Some, I suspect, are corporations changing logos and the like. Logos do change. I have also heard some of them explained as resulting from legal action, for example, you can't refer to something as "fruit" unless there is fruit in it, so the name has to be changed to "froot."

Darth Vader always said: "No, I am your father." The line that preceeds is "He told me enough...he told me you killed him!" The dialog does not even make any sense as "Luke, I am your father." People invented that line to as shorthand to reference the context when discussing it.

I am a skeptic and sure don't believe in this CERN nonsense. In the spirit of Halloween, I will admit that one example badly creeped me out:

"Magic Mirror on the wall..."

I went to Disneyland 7 years running and caught the big light show, and I simply do not remember it this way. I am postive that I have seen books with the line printed "Mirror, mirror..." I guess skeptics are not above a bit of confabulation.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
One that really creeped me was the "You like me, you really like me" because not only has it been misquoted/remembered. I remember this from references and commercials. My mom telling me it was from an Oscars speech. I don't know why they'd misquote it. The quote is really “You like me, right now, you like me.” Which besides sounding weird imo, is weird because Sally Fields was always well liked. I know she won the Oscar before I was born. She always had a well received career and persona. This is something I could see a more controversial figure saying.

The thing about the dead celebrities is there are a few I remember being reported as dead. It's not like "Haven't seen Will Smith make a movie this year, I'll just assume he died". I know it's usually with older people, but even when other people say I thought so and so was dead they usually remember hearing it. I know a ton of people told me that heard the old man from The Exorcist was dead, but I pointed out it's probably because he's old irl and he died in the movie. They told me they saw it on the news some time ago.

I do believe in this, though, because I believe there are other dimensions/universes/whatever you want to call it. I think sometimes we're seeing things from that side. I just think too many people are using it things that much more simple.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:12 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I don't remember the Mandela incident. There are a lot of quotes from movies that have 'changed' that could be because the lines have always been misquoted by other sources. Some things I cannot swear to but some people have watched these movies dozens of times, and now they are different? It isn't just one person who is experiencing these changes, it is many.

In the movie Field of Dreams, I know for a fact that it was "If you build it they will come" That was the whole premise of the movie. I also know that Eli Whitney was famous for inventing the cotton gin because he was black. Otherwise who would care. He was a noted achiever because he was black. Now he is white? These things don't add up.

Wow, this one is way off. I have never before heard anyone say they thought Eli Whitney was black.

The significance of the invention of the cotton gin was not who invented it, but what it caused. The cotton gin enabled acceleration of the production of cotton, which brought the South prosperity and increased the number of slaves needed for labor on the big plantations. Slavery boomed after the invention, and so it is said that the invention of the cotton gin by Eli Whitney was a contributing factor to the Civil War. Eli Whitney is just famous for inventing the machine that set this all off, just as Henry Ford is famous for using the assembly line system to produce cars for the masses, which changed the country as well.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
No I didn't. I know it was about Shoeless Joe Jackson, but there was more to it then that. His father also showed up. Everybody did, the players and the spectators... It was "they" and I didn't miss the plot entirely.

It was a long time ago that I saw that movie but I saw it quoted recently and the quote was "they"...

I also read the book.

Unless there is another plot that I am missing, like the plot of this thread.
Hahaha, good one.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:07 AM

17 posts, read 33,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, this one is way off. I have never before heard anyone say they thought Eli Whitney was black.

The significance of the invention of the cotton gin was not who invented it, but what it caused. The cotton gin enabled acceleration of the production of cotton, which brought the South prosperity and increased the number of slaves needed for labor on the big plantations. Slavery boomed after the invention, and so it is said that the invention of the cotton gin by Eli Whitney was a contributing factor to the Civil War. Eli Whitney is just famous for inventing the machine that set this all off, just as Henry Ford is famous for using the assembly line system to produce cars for the masses, which changed the country as well.
wait I thought he was always black? they taught us in school I was for sure? Im always incorrect on everything I swear

Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayercall View Post
wait I thought he was always black? they taught us in school I was for sure? Im always incorrect on everything I swear
He didn't look black. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Whitney

Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
I think the Mandela Effect is a bunch of hooey. I remember Oscar Mayer with an A, not an E. I remember Magic mirror on the wall not mirror mirror on the wall. I remember Jif not Jiffy peanut butter. I also remember Forest Gump saying "Life WAS like a box of chocolates..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal