Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 PM

672 posts, read 503,334 times

Advertisements

I had a weird dream on Sunday. What do you think this mean if anything?

My 93 year old great-grandmother (my last living great-grandparent) died last Monday, I new her very well having grown up knowing her and going ot house often. I do lot of Genealogy and Family History. Over the last couple years I asked her lot of question about her Childhood and Family and had visited her about 6 times over the last year.

On Friday we had her Funeral which started out as being sunny at the Cemetery but a few hours later as the Reception got over it started downpouring.

Here the dream part: Last night I dreamed that me and some of the other people who were at the funeral were walking to my great-great grandparents house (my great-grandmother parents) and it was downpouring. I remember looking up the address on my iphone which was the wrong address. I also remember walked through tunnel.

Weird thing is I never knew my great-great grandparents. And my great-grandmother never lived in their house while growing up. She did a couple times (though briefly) after she became an adult while raising her Kids.

I never been to the house they lived in as it was tore down t when I was 13 after a plane crashed into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I am sure, because I choose to believe in life-after-death, that they get in touch via dreams and if possible other means too.

No-one really knows, so the belief is a choice we all have to make at some stage and with that belief comes all kinds of possibilities.

The short time right after leaving the body seems to be the time where they can come to reassure family that they live on in a different form. After that short time, I think there is a period of healing for everyone due to the rough time we have here. Kind of like a period where we remember what it was like there before we decided to come here to Earth as a human.

I dont know though, there are so many different descriptions of what happens it is difficult to really know which are the ones to believe. So, it is down to belief choice again.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
I try to avoid dreaming. Dreams do not sit right with me especially the ones where I wake up and am falling, I hate that.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

My 93 year old great-grandmother (my last living great-grandparent) died last Monday, I new her very well having grown up knowing her and going ot house often. I do lot of Genealogy and Family History. Over the last couple years I asked her lot of question about her Childhood and Family and had visited her about 6 times over the last year.

On Friday we had her Funeral which started out as being sunny at the Cemetery but a few hours later as the Reception got over it started downpouring.

Here the dream part: Last night I dreamed that me and some of the other people who were at the funeral were walking to my great-great grandparents house (my great-grandmother parents) and it was downpouring. I remember looking up the address on my iphone which was the wrong address. I also remember walked through tunnel.

Weird thing is I never knew my great-great grandparents. And my great-grandmother never lived in their house while growing up. She did a couple times (though briefly) after she became an adult while raising her Kids.

I never been to the house they lived in as it was tore down t when I was 13 after a plane crashed into it.

Dream visitation.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I try to avoid dreaming. Dreams do not sit right with me especially the ones where I wake up and am falling, I hate that.

I used to have the falling dreams all the time when I was much younger, mainly in my 20's. If you look up "falling" in a dream dictionary, they say it means this: "As with most common dream themes, falling is an indication of insecurities, instabilities, and anxieties. You are feeling overwhelmed and out of control in some situation in your waking life." (found at dreammoods.com)

Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
The going notion is that if you do not wake you die. I also hate those running from something dreams where you keep falling down or get nowhere like trying to run in mudor oil.

Those are offset by grand dreams where I'm surfing or racing again. Pefect tubes, 6 gear wheelies, the wife is 18 again <egrin>.

Love dreams when they're good. Dreams are also healthy. If you do not dream you may have some health and/or substance issues (alcohol does that). The dream state goes hand in hand with rem.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
I think what happens with falling dreams is that you have been out-of-body and are coming back to the physical. Just as you are coming back, you are also waking up so itt means you are aware of the astral body which has been travelling, now coming back to the physical.

I used to get 'chased' dreams and mostly I woke up with my heart pounding, just having 'escaped' from whatever it was 'chasing' me.

I eventually realised that the 'chaser' was my astral body coming back into my body after travelling, so after that I have never had 'chased' dreams as I now understand what I am feeling (and of course it is not a threat any more!)

This may all sound wierd, but it is the explanation which has helped me a lot and also mkes sense to me from what I have read over the years.

The only people who believe that you die if you hit the ground in a falling dream, are people who are fearful of death and who do not believe in astral travel. Of course, if you are a science-type then you will believe in that, but most occult teachings over the years have always taught some kind of other body which can leave the physical. Even the Bible has mention of being in other places and seeing things from other perspectives.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

First, I am sorry you lost your Great-Grandmother. Dreams immediately after someone's death can reflect how we are processing our grief. I do also believe that some dreams are visitation dreams. Your dream seems to be working out what happens or where your Great-Grandmother went after she died. It has the some of the people who were at her funeral in it -- the mourners. This was her community and they had been to the funeral earlier to pay their respects. Now they accompany you in your dream on your quest to what comes next. You were headed to her parents house which is symbolic of her origins, her roots. It is the place/people she came from. It was downpouring in the dream. In dreams water is symbolic of the emotions. A downpour can suggest overwhelming emotions. You were on a quest, seeking her "address." In the dream you are trying to work out where she lives now. But the address wasn't correct. You had a inner knowing that said, "no not there." The physical address you were looking for wasn't right. She is not at a physical address, the dream was showing you this. Then you saw a tunnel. Tunnels are common in near death experiences. Those reports we have of people who died briefly (heart attacks, accidents, so forth) and what they remembered before they were revived or resuscitated. They often mention a dark tunnel. You can find a lot of these reports at http://www.nderf.org The tunnel is the part of your dream that shows the passageway to what comes after. The tunnel in near death experiences takes us from our earthly life to the next world.

Just my interpretation for whatever its worth.

Last edited by coffeemoments; 09-06-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think what happens with falling dreams is that you have been out-of-body and are coming back to the physical. Just as you are coming back, you are also waking up so itt means you are aware of the astral body which has been travelling, now coming back to the physical.

^^^This. Its like being slammed back into the body so abruptly that we experience it as falling in dreams.

About dreams of being chased... Those kinds of dreams can reflect a situation in your waking life where you feel hounded.

About dying in dreams... I have died in my dreams. The one I recall most vividly was about realizing I had died and the freedom I felt.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:05 PM

274 posts, read 237,683 times
I've had several dreams about loved ones after they passed. With most of those dreams, I somehow "knew" that it was my subconscious mind trying to process the loss. However, with a few, I also somehow "knew" that those were real visits. I've had other experiences where I "knew" it was a departed loved one saying hello. Things like a meaningful song playing on the radio while I've been thinking about them, or a meaningful object appearing at a time and place when there is no logical explanation, etc. Too many to detail.

There was a time when I didn't believe this was possible, but as I've gotten older and lost more people close to me, I'm more convinced that life continues and so does the bond with our loved ones.

To the OP, I would say the rest of us can offer theories on the meaning of your dream, but only you can know if it was your subconscious helping you process life events, or if it was a connection with loved ones who have passed. It sounds to me more like a dream to help you cope, but only you know how vivid the images and feelings were attached to the dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal