Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
No offence but sounds like you need an awful lot of criteria exactly right just to make drinking cold tea (sorry iced tea) an enjoyable experience. Sounds like a lot of effort. Think I'll just stick to hot PG Tips (heathen I know). Hot water. Milk. Teabag. Simples.
Plus a plane ride to the American South sounds a bit pricey just to get at a cup of tea.

(I'm kidding obviously Kathryn. You know I love your posts!)
I love my hot tea but then I'm in chilly Scotland. If you're in 100F in Texas, hot tea is the last thing you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I love my hot tea but then I'm in chilly Scotland. If you're in 100F in Texas, hot tea is the last thing you want!
Hmm. Its quite hot here in California too. Doesn't put me off drinking hot tea by the bucketload. I do get strange looks sometimes from the Californians on a hot day so I'll grant you that. But then they love their Peets coffee which is rank. I think its just down to what you are used to. They also drink hot tea in India:
Tea | History of Tea Drinking In India

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
No offence but sounds like you need an awful lot of criteria exactly right just to make drinking cold tea (sorry iced tea) an enjoyable experience. Sounds like a lot of effort. Think I'll just stick to hot PG Tips (heathen I know). Hot water. Milk. Teabag. Simples.
Plus a plane ride to the American South sounds a bit pricey just to get at a cup of tea.

(I'm kidding obviously Kathryn. You know I love your posts!)
LOL, no problem!

Once you get the method down, it's easy! I make a gallon every other day! Actually, though, I don't sweeten it (unless my parents are coming over). We use Splenda or Stevia in our iced tea most of the time.

I can't imagine life without iced tea. In fact, several area restaurants are famous for their iced tea. And recently, McAlisters (a chain of delis) had a nationwide contest for the best iced tea, and our local restaurant won!

Yeah, we're big into it...

Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Its quite hot here in California too. Doesn't put me off drinking hot tea by the bucketload. I do get strange looks sometimes from the Californians on a hot day so I'll grant you that. But then they love their Peets coffee which is rank. I think its just down to what you are used to. They also drink hot tea in India:
Tea | History of Tea Drinking In India
I drink a cup of hot tea (or two) most evenings, even in the summer. I do love it.

I ought to clarify, when I say I put cream in my tea (rather than milk), I mean I am putting what we call half and half in my tea. Half and half is half cream and half milk. Do Brits have something like that? If so, what do you call it?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
This might help in working out different types of milk;

Fat content of milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing I did find in the US is that the selection of dairy products, especially cream, was not as good as here. Not a criticism- an observation.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

One thing I did find in the US is that the selection of dairy products, especially cream, was not as good as here. Not a criticism- an observation.
I didn't like custard in the US but love it here. Don't know what the difference is.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I haven't been to the UK yet, but if Germany or other western European countries are any sort of gauge, I would agree with you. The milks, creams, butters, and other dairy products available on a wide scale seem to be better in European countries than in the US.

That being said, high quality milk products ARE available in the US, including many UK and European products, in stores such as Central Market, Whole Foods, Fresh, that sort of place. I regularly buy those products - it seems that they are richer and smoother somehow.

Also, as far as "regular" milk products go, I really like the US brand "Promised Land." The milk they use is strictly from Jersey cows - and the difference in the taste and texture is striking - and delicious! A bit pricey but well worth it!

Company history and story: Promised Land Dairy brand

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't been to the UK yet, but if Germany or other western European countries are any sort of gauge, I would agree with you. The milks, creams, butters, and other dairy products available on a wide scale seem to be better in European countries than in the US.

That being said, high quality milk products ARE available in the US, including many UK and European products, in stores such as Central Market, Whole Foods, Fresh, that sort of place. I regularly buy those products - it seems that they are richer and smoother somehow.

Also, as far as "regular" milk products go, I really like the US brand "Promised Land." The milk they use is strictly from Jersey cows - and the difference in the taste and texture is striking - and delicious! A bit pricey but well worth it!

Company history and story: Promised Land Dairy brand

Everything's better in Europe than Amarica - the milk, the road-signs, the wars (when was the last time you guys had a proper war? 18-something? Pathetic!!!)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
No sugar, no lemon, no ice? Go sit on a hot beach and have some. Refreshing.
Hot beach? LOL.

Yes, I put sugar in it. Not my cup of tea.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Hot beach? LOL.

Yes, I put sugar in it. Not my cup of tea.
A hot beach is not something we have in NI or Scotland. Try Florida, or Spain, the caribbean. You'd appreciate iced tea. Pitchers of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom