Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Whatever your understanding of the matter, the link you gave offered the false impression that that terms in question are still widely understood in Britain, when they're no better understood here than they are in the US.

The comparison you made is not especially useful since 'larrapin', according to you, is a regional colloquialism, while the terms surrounding tea are obscure not by virtue of any such geo-specificity, but simply Becasue they are no longer in use - contrary, as I've already said, to the impression given by your link.
You're conveniently leaving out the fact that I also included a definition from Merriam Webster dictionary.

Meat tea - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
From Merriam Webster:
meat tea noun

Definition of MEAT TEA

Brit
: high tea

But wait - there's MORE!

The term "meat tea" is also used in a British work called "The Diary of a Nobody" written by George and Weedon Grossmith (of London) in 1892. Here's the quote:

April 23.—Mr. and Mrs. James (Miss Fullers that was) came to meat tea, and we left directly after for the Tank Theatre".

The book, which is considered a classic and has never been out of print, is an accurate account of the customs, mannerisms, etc of lower middle class Londoners in the late Victorian age.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_a_Nobody

From Dictionary.com:
meat tea 
noun British .
high tea.
Meat tea | Define Meat tea at Dictionary.com

Here's another source tracing the term to Victorian days:
The History of Tea

And here's another source referencing "meat tea":
high tea ~ apple bacon grilled cheese sandwich | ChinDeep

Here's a guy from London blogging about meat tea:
High Tea by redbox
He says, "High Tea is also known as Meat Tea. This term was coined somewhere in 1820-1830 to show that it was taken late in the day just like the term high noon. It is an early meal and normally eaten between 5-7 PM and followed by a light meal later in the evening."

Oh look - here's even a piece of work titled "Meat Tea at Buckingham Palace!"

Jasmina Danowski: Counterglow

And yet another reference - this time from Australia I believe - to meat tea!
High tea, anyone? « Wine Freaks and Fussy Eaters
HIGH TEA, ANYONE?

04/08/2012

Elevenses, afternoon tea, luncheon, high tea or “meat tea”….

Traditional English, old fashioned daytime meal made of “bits & pieces”.

Finger sandwiches, ocean trout rillettes, baby baked ricotta, scone and clotted cream, mini brioche with “crème pat” are only part of the selection offered for HIGH TEA, add a glass of sparkling wine and Sunday afternoon is sorted…

Plus live SWING by The Cope Street Parade…..

This is the new spot on the Sydney map high tea, powered by Belinda Franks Catering.

Boronia Tea Room, 624 Military Rd, Mosman NSW 2088, T 02 9968 3311

I found many, many more references to "meat tea" but frankly I'm sort of tired of looking at all the sites.

My point is - whether you're familiar with the term or not, apparently quite a few other people, British and othewise, are - and apparently it's been around since at least the late 1800s. There's no doubt in my mind that it's an uncommon term, and probably somewhat obsolete - but SURPRISE - it's still being bandied about, apparently on both sides of the pond and "down under."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're conveniently leaving out the fact that I also included a definition from Merriam Webster dictionary.

Meat tea - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
From Merriam Webster:
meat tea noun

Definition of MEAT TEA

Brit
: high tea

But wait - there's MORE!

The term "meat tea" is also used in a British work called "The Diary of a Nobody" written by George and Weedon Grossmith (of London) in 1892. Here's the quote:

April 23.—Mr. and Mrs. James (Miss Fullers that was) came to meat tea, and we left directly after for the Tank Theatre".

The book, which is considered a classic and has never been out of print, is an accurate account of the customs, mannerisms, etc of lower middle class Londoners in the late Victorian age.
The Diary of a Nobody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Dictionary.com:
meat tea 
noun British .
high tea.
Meat tea | Define Meat tea at Dictionary.com

Here's another source tracing the term to Victorian days:
The History of Tea

And here's another source referencing "meat tea":
high tea ~ apple bacon grilled cheese sandwich | ChinDeep

Here's a guy from London blogging about meat tea:
High Tea by redbox
He says, "High Tea is also known as Meat Tea. This term was coined somewhere in 1820-1830 to show that it was taken late in the day just like the term high noon. It is an early meal and normally eaten between 5-7 PM and followed by a light meal later in the evening."

Oh look - here's even a piece of work titled "Meat Tea at Buckingham Palace!"

Jasmina Danowski: Counterglow

And yet another reference - this time from Australia I believe - to meat tea!
High tea, anyone? « Wine Freaks and Fussy Eaters
HIGH TEA, ANYONE?

04/08/2012

Elevenses, afternoon tea, luncheon, high tea or “meat tea”….

Traditional English, old fashioned daytime meal made of “bits & pieces”.

Finger sandwiches, ocean trout rillettes, baby baked ricotta, scone and clotted cream, mini brioche with “crème pat” are only part of the selection offered for HIGH TEA, add a glass of sparkling wine and Sunday afternoon is sorted…

Plus live SWING by The Cope Street Parade…..

This is the new spot on the Sydney map high tea, powered by Belinda Franks Catering.

Boronia Tea Room, 624 Military Rd, Mosman NSW 2088, T 02 9968 3311

I found many, many more references to "meat tea" but frankly I'm sort of tired of looking at all the sites.

My point is - whether you're familiar with the term or not, apparently quite a few other people, British and othewise, are - and apparently it's been around since at least the late 1800s. There's no doubt in my mind that it's an uncommon term, and probably somewhat obsolete - but SURPRISE - it's still being bandied about, apparently on both sides of the pond and "down under."
Just in cased you mis-read, hear is what I wrote previously:

Quote:
'Low' and 'meat' tea are, I would say, absent from the vocabulary of most British people alive today.
Quote:
the link you gave offered the false impression that that terms in question are still widely understood in Britain, when they're no better understood here than they are in the US.
The terms certainly exist, which is why they're in the dictionaries and mentioned on some blogs. The fact that a word is in the dictionary or mentioned on a blog or website does not mean it is widely used or understood, however - as would appear to be implied by the statement, from the first link you posted:

Quote:
In England, a formal afternoon tea is called “low tea,” and “high tea” (or “meat tea”) is an early evening meal reserved for the lower classes.
Written in the past tense and preceded with the words 'in the past', this would be correct. Written in the present tense, it is almost entirely misleading.

When you go to Harrogate, ask twenty people the meanings of 'low tea' and 'meat tea'. If you can establish any sort of consensus on what these terms mean, I will go through CD and recommend every one of your posts.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The terms certainly exist, which is why they're in the dictionaries and mentioned on some blogs. The fact that a word is in the dictionary or mentioned on a blog or website does not mean it is widely used or understood, however - as would appear to be implied by the statement, from the first link you posted:
You are really taking things out of context here, George and Bill. A statement in a blog - which was one reference out of several that I gave, gave the impression that the term "meat tea" is widely used or understood in the UK.

So what? I never said OR implied (or believed, for that matter) that the term was widely used or understood in the UK. That is why I gave the example of a word that exists in American English, but that is not widely used or understood in the US. I thought the connection between the two phrases would be obvious, but I guess it wasn't. Hope it's clearer now. Most Brits don't use or understand the phrase "meat pie" and most Americans don't use or understand the word "larrapin'." Are we straight now?

Quote:
When you go to Harrogate, ask twenty people the meanings of 'low tea' and 'meat tea'. If you can establish any sort of consensus on what these terms mean, I will go through CD and recommend every one of your posts.
No need for such pointless activity on either your part or mine. I have never been of the opinion that the term "meat tea" was widely understood or used, and I also don't place any importance whatsoever on recommendations or "reputation points" given to my posts.

So you're off the hook!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are really taking things out of context here, George and Bill. A statement in a blog - which was one reference out of several that I gave, gave the impression that the term "meat tea" is widely used or understood in the UK.

So what? I never said OR implied (or believed, for that matter) that the term was widely used or understood in the UK. That is why I gave the example of a word that exists in American English, but that is not widely used or understood in the US. I thought the connection between the two phrases would be obvious, but I guess it wasn't. Hope it's clearer now. Most Brits don't use or understand the phrase "meat pie" and most Americans don't use or understand the word "larrapin'." Are we straight now?

No need for such pointless activity on either your part or mine. I have never been of the opinion that the term "meat tea" was widely understood or used, and I also don't place any importance whatsoever on recommendations or "reputation points" given to my posts.

So you're off the hook!
I don't know what your understanding of the word 'several' is, but in your original post on the matter, you gave two references, of which the one I quoted was the first. As well as linking, you also pasted several lines into your post, including the ones I quoted.

It's only a suggestion, but if you quote a statement you know to be incorrect, you may wish to point this out, or people will be inclined to think you are endorsing that statement. I appreciate this wasn't your intention, but it is what people will think.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-10-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know what your understanding of the word 'several' is, but in your original post on the matter, you gave two references, of which the one I quoted was the first. As well as linking, you also pasted several lines into your post, including the ones I quoted.

It's only a suggestion, but if you quote a statement you know to be incorrect, you may wish to point this out, or people will be inclined to think you are endorsing that statement. I appreciate this wasn't your intention, but it is what people will think.

Even the amusing troll who's now dancing around us thought that, so you see my point.
LOL I think you and I are definitely reduced to splitting hairs at this point. You're sort of right, and I'm sort of right too, and I think we can leave it at that. Tell you what - I won't call ANY sort of tea "meat tea" when I visit Harrogate. You, on the other hand, may freely use the expression "larrapin'" if you so desire next time you're in the States - but don't expect many people to know what you mean. Hell, that's so rare - I had to MARRY the one man I ever ran across who used it correctly in a sentence!

Present company excluded, of course.

Pax!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-10-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted comment

Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You're sort of right, and I'm sort of right too
You're half right with this statement, I'll grant you.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Enough already!

When in Harrogate this place is widely recognised as the place to have tea;

Bettys Harrogate | Bettys Online

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,709 times
Hmmm.

I used to be required to climb to about 2000 ft to fly over Harrogate.

Do you think the people who lived there (and it wasn't the people who lived in Doncaster who made me climb over the fair city of Harrogate) were concerned about whether they could afford dinner?

I suggest that the people who live in Harrogate are not accustomed to 'Meat Tea'

Nowadays they would have tea at about 4pm (with a selection of biscuits) and dinner at 19:30 (or thereabouts..)

as they have done for many years.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Enough already!

When in Harrogate this place is widely recognised as the place to have tea;

Bettys Harrogate | Bettys Online
or in York & elsewhere Bettys York | Bettys Online

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You're half right with this statement, I'll grant you.
Oh, come on - be nice. In spite of my own opinion, I'm trying to be conciliatory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom