Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Paul ... that is not what the polls are showing (see my post #180). The problem for the Nationalists is that they have set out their case and they have nothing new to offer. Meanwhile, bit by bit, the pro-independence case is being demolished. The biggest blow by far is Westminster's refusal to enter a currency union and Salmond's inability to articulate a Plan B. But there are many other areas where voters are being asked to take a leap of faith without any substance to support that.

As ordinary people start to see that there may well be a real cost to independence in the form of higher mortgage rates, higher prices, etc. etc., then I think you will see more 'undecided' voters going into the No camp than are going into the Yes camp.

The best chance for Nationalists is a low turnout similar to the Scottish Government elections. But, right now, the polls are suggesting a 60% - 40% result against independence.
Jaggy... I am talking about ''on the ground''

At work, in my house and in the pub this is what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
All of the Yes people I've seen online are all claiming that everybody is 'bluffing' - Westminster, the banks, companies, gas companies. They've fooling themselves.
Why am I ''fooling'' myself because I am voting yes? You can't just label people because they think differently to you.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Jaggy... I am talking about ''on the ground''

At work, in my house and in the pub this is what I hear.

Why am I ''fooling'' myself because I am voting yes? You can't just label people because they think differently to you.
And you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and your vote.

My own view is that Salmond is selling a bill of goods that he cannot deliver and that the reality is likely to be quite a lot worse for ordinary people than what they currently have with the Union.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Is my future less sh*t if we become independent, that's what it boils down to!

Because I am struggling to see a prosperous future if the Conservatives are in government every decade or so.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Is my future less sh*t if we become independent, that's what it boils down to!

Because I am struggling to see a prosperous future if the Conservatives are in government every decade or so.
I'm a wee bit older than you and have seen quite a few governments come and go. In fact, the first General Election I voted in was February 1974. And here is a sad truth ... all governments are sh*t to a certain extent. But, from my experience and taking into account my circumstances, Conservative governments have been a bit less sh*t than Labour ones. And this is coming from someone who has never ever voted Conservative.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your future. Whether Scotland goes independent or not will make only a marginal difference compared to what you are willing to do for yourself. You can be prosperous under any government and in any country if you really want to be. But if you are waiting around in the hope that independence is going to make a substantive change in your circumstances then I fear that you are going to be disappointed.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm a wee bit older than you and have seen quite a few governments come and go. In fact, the first General Election I voted in was February 1974. And here is a sad truth ... all governments are sh*t to a certain extent. But, from my experience and taking into account my circumstances, Conservative governments have been a bit less sh*t than Labour ones. And this is coming from someone who has never ever voted Conservative.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your future. Whether Scotland goes independent or not will make only a marginal difference compared to what you are willing to do for yourself. You can be prosperous under any government and in any country if you really want to be. But if you are waiting around in the hope that independence is going to make a substantive change in your circumstances then I fear that you are going to be disappointed.
An excellent post. Governments promise the earth to get the populace vote but once they get into power, their real agenda
Comes to the fore. Sounds like some pro republicans live in cloud cuckoo land.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
In his post paul805 mentions the "people on the ground" who said they would vote yes for independence. In 1975 the Labour government held a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU. Everyone seemed to be anti common market and it seemed that there would be a massive vote against membership.

People in pubs, at work, the "people on the ground" were all going to vote against the goverments advice to stay in the EU. And what happened? there was a huge yes vote, 67% of UK voters voted for membership of the EU. IF there is a moral to this story it is this, never listen to "people on the ground"

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Maybe the moral of the story is to have polling stations in pubs.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM

We shall have to wait and see will we! It will be close.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
But Connery doesn't live in Scotland scobby, he hasn't for decades. If Scotland vote yes and everything goes t.ts up Mr Connery won't be effected, but his fellow Scots certainly will.

Does it really matter ? Americans give their opinion about Russia and Ukraine it's ok,but not Connery ?
If he still feels he's scottish,he has every right to give his opinion,he's not forcing anybody to follow him.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Am I the only one who finds all this talk about independence an example of the tail wagging the dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom