Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

What other clothing/ style differences do ppl acknowledge between the UK and USA?
I get catalogues from a couple of UK women's clothing companies. The prints on the fabrics have nothing to do with what's going on in the US. It's like they're from a different planet. But the US tends to be years behind Europe in many respects, fashion-wise. I don't imagine that hip-hop fashion, and wearing pants below their rear end or extremely baggy pants, is popular with men in Europe.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
What the frig are Kahki? I hear Kahki this Kahki that and Kahki that. Its extremely irritating. What does it mean!
you are kidding right? And its Khaki

Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't imagine that hip-hop fashion, and wearing pants below their rear end or extremely baggy pants, is popular with men in Europe.
Not in mainland Europe...but in the UK..sometimes yes.
Other differences between US and European men is the quest for Muscle, or attractiveness of muscle, it just doesnt seem all that important in Europe compared to North America.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Because of the high levels of morbid obesity in the USA it's much more common to find XXXXXXL clothing there than in the UK where I think the most I've ever seen is XXL.

In fact an XL shirt in the US is probably the equivalent of an XXL in the UK.

I think they may be trying to kid themselves.

Misguided if you think morbid obesity is a problem just in the USA.
As for clothes sizes -just like everywhere else they vary by store and brand. Some XL are only the size of a medium in other brands and vice versa. I've never seen XXXXXXXL -I think you're kidding yourself
It's great that there are clothes for larger people (and taller too-I don't have any problems getting 37" inside leg jeans here in regular stores) and you don't have to pay prices like Big and Tall or Long Tall Sally. OI bought Silver 37" leg jeans for $70 at a regular store and they're about 110 GBP ($170) at LTS.
In Europe there are too many stores where clothes aren't made for women who look like women ie they have a waist and hips. Many stores trying to find a 14 is hard work, and a 14 long forget it. Also a lot of the clothes are styles for younger people-guess that's cos you see more English women who are older out on the tiles dressed for the kill.

What I do see here is some very bad taste outfits-particularly trousers that are too short, even in short people - and this combined with tennis shoes (AKA trainers) ,especially on women, looks bad.
Men of all ages wearing jeans or chinos with collared long sleeved shirts, sometimes ties, brown leather belts and moccasins or those leather shoes with the leather drawstring thingy- are they boat shoes? HATE that look. Very rarely see men wearing smart casual long sleeve shirts with jeans NOT tucked in. In fact a group of people at a restaurant we went to were highly amused by the fact that my husband had his shirt out.

As for women, I would see more here make no effort at all with clothes. They're still wearing stuff people wore in the 80s. Plus more synthetic fabrics because they all tumble dry and even fewer people here than in England iron anything. Can you imagine wearing a stretchy polyester summer dress in 90 degrees? Mind many never go outside except to get from the car to wherever.

I've changed what I wear here as everyone seems to wear jeans in the winter. Very few trousers or skirts/dresses unless people are looking dressed up and been to church etc or they're the folks with money. No one really makes an effort and many people live in trainers and flip flops.

Of course I'm sure it varies a lot by region.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I saw a lot of younger people in Harrogate, and I wondered where on earth they were buying their clothes, because lord knows I couldn't find a decent shop anywhere in that town - and I was looking, too!
It is a small (and great) town and it's very close to Leeds, but I did think I remembered some nice clothes shops on the street that runs down the hill towards the Baths- away from Bettys tea room.

Also there's Hobbs, Alexon, Country Casuals, Escada, Debenhams, Jaeger, Laura Ashley. Maybe you just have different taste in clothes.

Regarding the difference in fashions/effort from N to S you have to remember that the earnings and disposable income of people in different areas will be very different . In the North there are some very economically depressed areas due to the fact that ship building, woolen mills and coal mining etc went down the pipes. Plus surely you don't expect that rural farming folks are going to be dressed the same as people in London?
I can usually tell an American tourist a mile away-even before they open their mouths.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
It is a small (and great) town and it's very close to Leeds, but I did think I remembered some nice clothes shops on the street that runs down the hill towards the Baths- away from Bettys tea room.

Also there's Hobbs, Alexon, Country Casuals, Escada, Debenhams, Jaeger, Laura Ashley. Maybe you just have different taste in clothes.

Regarding the difference in fashions/effort from N to S you have to remember that the earnings and disposable income of people in different areas will be very different . In the North there are some very economically depressed areas due to the fact that ship building, woolen mills and coal mining etc went down the pipes. Plus surely you don't expect that rural farming folks are going to be dressed the same as people in London?
I can usually tell an American tourist a mile away-even before they open their mouths.
I can't and I meet them nearly every day.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most people in the rural north are old - no surprise they lack fashion sense. All of the decent clothes stores are in the big cities, where people are younger and dress to impress. People here generally aren't as fat as people in rural areas, since walking is more common, ditto cycling.
Huh? People live in semi rural areas so they can walk, run and horse ride without getting CO poisoning, and the older generation aren't used to driving everywhere and may still have a smallholding where they have a few animals or grow veggies.

People in rural areas dress differently because they have different pursuits and/or values.

Of course a lot of semi -rural areas have been invaded by the "new country money crowd" who own second homes there and now they have trendy bistros and over priced houses.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I'm not talking about CO poisoning or any other negative health effects related to city living, just obesity. Yes, you would think people living in rural areas would have more active lifestyles due to the fact that they have greater access to the open country and activities such as horse riding, but they are also more reliant on their cars for travel, especially if they are truly rural i.e live in an isolated farmhouse with no nearby supermarkets. Besides, I'm not just talking specuatively, in the north of England at least, rural counties such as North Yorkshire, County Durham, Cumbria, East Riding of Yorkshire and Northumberland all have above-average levels of obesity, whereas cities like Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield have low levels of obesity. The situation in southern England is less clear-cut, but places like Bristol still have lower obesity levels than the more rural counties surrounding it i.e Gloucestershire, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Moderator Note:

Unless body fat has become an article of clothing in the UK, it is not pertinent to the discussion. Stay on topic, or the thread will be locked.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I get catalogues from a couple of UK women's clothing companies. The prints on the fabrics have nothing to do with what's going on in the US. It's like they're from a different planet. But the US tends to be years behind Europe in many respects, fashion-wise. I don't imagine that hip-hop fashion, and wearing pants below their rear end or extremely baggy pants, is popular with men in Europe.
Does everyone in the United States have one sense of fashion?
Everywhere i go i see all different types of fashion
i dont really understand all this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom