Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
A family of Kosovans threw themselves to their deaths off the Red Row flats in Balornock after our 'soft-touch' immigration officials decided that they didn't meet the criteria for asylum and were to be deported. How do you propose that we make the system more stringent? Put a bullet in them ourselves?
No we tell them to get out.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its so bad the queues keep piling up with immigrants trying to get in.... aye thats it..... were far too soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

You guys should do some light reading. Just something easy to get you started..

Halting immigration 'would cost UK £18bn in five years' - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Memo to Cameron: immigrants aren't a "constant drain" on the UK - they're the reverse

The Advantages of Immigration in the UK | eHow UK

These articles don't even contain moral or ethical points, but the financial content should at least keep you both happy

Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
aye sure.. well read this..
UK unemployment: 800,000 British jobs advertised to foreign EU workers | Metro News

Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Its not about money for me.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM

554 posts, read 736,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Mistakes are made sadly, when families might be being persecuted in their own country and its heartbreaking , however.. we have old women out begging on the streets in the cold.. some trying unsuccessfully to play a musical instruement.... and its sad.. as we know theyve been forced out on the streets to do this... but how the hell did these very old looking women get into this country , what did they say they had to offer the UK....
It sounds like you're referring specifically to Roma beggars, most of whom are Romanian nationals. That specific group aren't subject to immigration control as Romania is now part of the EU. As to how they got here, they most likely got on the train to Budapest in Hungary and from there an Easyjet flight to Glasgow via Stanstead.

They find themselves in an awkward situation, as in Romania they're quite badly persecuted so somewhat understandably many of them leave. However, once in the UK the men find themselves in the position that the only work they can get is manual work for less than minimum wage. They aren't entitled to state benefits and the only housing available to them on their meagre budgets in Glasgow are the slum landlords in Govanhill. It's to pay these slum landlords the rent on less than minimum wage jobs that leads these women to being out begging on the street. I read quite an interesting report on them available here:

http://www.bemis.org.uk/resources/gt...%20Glasgow.pdf

Quote:
and then we have the people trafficking caused by many of these same immigrants..... Ill admit their not all the same. but arent we just a soft touch compared to other coutnries allowing so many in....
Well in the case of the Roma, we actually have harsher rules than most of the EU. In most EU countries they can claim state benefits, something they are not able to do here until they can demonstrate that they've worked unbroken for at least 12 months. (This forms a problem for them, because they generally work for less than minimum wage and therefore cannot get their employers to vouch that they've worked.) The UK is not affected by the Roma anywhere near as much as in countries closer to their homeland like the Czech Republic, it's a pan-European problem. It's simply not true that we're a "soft-touch", that's just Daily Mail nonsense.

Quote:
a woman on the news on Sunday said it was racist to tell ILLEGAL immigrants to pack up and leave or be arrested.. now wheres the sense in her statement.
You've mis-understood the context. The Government have recently trialed sending around vans with billboards on the side saying, "In the UK Illegally? Go Home or Face Arrest." There is nothing racist about arresting or deporting illegal immigrants. That isn't the problem. The problem is that these vans are a publicity stunt by the Government to appeal to racists, and by appealing to racists the Government is itself legitimising the views of racists. The idea that an illegal immigrant is going to actually leave the country because they see a van driving around telling them to "Go Home", is beyond stupidity. Imagine if you sent out a van saying, "Are you a rapist? Turn yourself in or face arrest." You'd have to be a complete moron to expect that the UK's population of un-prosecuted rapists would read the sign and decide to head for their nearest police station.

The truth is, these vans aren't a serious attempt to try and convince illegal immigrants to leave the country; they're purely a publicity stunt targeted at people who have a problem with immigrants, so that the Government can be seen to be taking a 'hard' line on immigration. The very phrase, "Go Home" is the language of the National Front and the BNP. It's the expression that's been used by every fascist political party across the world for a century towards all immigrants. Its use by a Government can only be an appeal by the Government to racists.

Eoin

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM

554 posts, read 736,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
That's exactly what led to them throwing themselves off of a tower block.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
They are being asked to comply with the law... these people are ILLEGAL.... illegal means its against the law.. its that simple to work out and understand, the law is being broken by them..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm American but have lived in the UK before. The high cost of living there combined with the lower QOL that low salaries/high COL brings was a deciding factor in me leaving the country. I also was put off by xenophobia and the fact that British people are very difficult to befriend...for an American, anyway. I found I was constantly offended and hurt by British reserve even when no hurt/offense was meant. It's just a different culture, and one I found I could not live in and be happy.
Did you notice any regional differences in that regard? I found that people in the northern half of England were much friendlier than Londoners.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you notice any regional differences in that regard? I found that people in the northern half of England were much friendlier than Londoners.
Weird, I found the exact opposite to be true.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Honestly, I found people throughout England to be very friendly. I really couldn't tell a difference between the north and the south - though naturally (as I think is common everywhere) people were a bit more jovial and talkative in smaller cities and villages than in large cities.

But everyone was really QUITE pleasant (and I mean that in the most American sense!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom