Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
There is a wonderful statue outside Manchester United. It is of the three greatest players in the history of the club. Bobby Charlton, George Best, and Denis Law. What great footballers they were.
I went to watch Man Utd. a couple of times around 1970 and saw all three of them playing. There are some who think that Duncan Edwards was as good if not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Now there was a great player, Jim Baxter... what a talent.
Yep, I saw him play as well.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
ameriscot
You're not trying to claim Andy as English are you? I know the English call him British when he wins and Scottish when he loses.
heheh...No, I 've always thought of Andy M as a Scot! Never 'Ingles'. I mentioned him in the context of my comment on the English football team simply because he is a great athlete but even great athletes know where they are weak at. Andy was smart to bring on Ivan. He's even more smarter now with his game. Hey he might win another Slam shortly...;-)....The Scots could'll be partying!!!

English Dave..
I'll tell you from my perspective if it came to down to either playing in a FA Cup match or Cup game I'd think it would be the former for the Englishmen. Lately, it looks as if the 'local' teams matter more than the national one in England. And you have to admit those FA games are incredible. We don't have that here in the States. If I can catch a FA game on the tv I put it on. We're missing something.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
The game today is awash in money, and the English players at the top of the game are not a good example to the young.

You know maybe there's something to the er.....coal mines......;-)......

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
Jaggy, Alan Gilzean is my team, Dundee's, best ever player! Him and Bobby Cox.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I went to watch Man Utd. a couple of times around 1970 and saw all three of them playing. There are some who think that Duncan Edwards was as good if not better.
You may be right. Sadly, Duncan never got the chance to show just how good he could have been.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Or any international competition where Scotland were not competing...

I think I remember hearing somewhere that a lot of Scots would be cheering for any team playing England, and generally wouldn't go for them, but then I'm sure a lot would also be going for England since they're the closest country to them. Which do you feel would be more the case? Or would they be largely apathetic about England's success or failure? What about the Welsh?

Why should a Scot back England when English uniforms sport the cross of St. George instead of the Union Jack which has the cross of St Andrew as well as the cross of St. George and St. Patrick or the Royal crest which honors England Scotland, Wales and Ireland?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Why should a Scot back England when English uniforms sport the cross of St. George instead of the Union Jack which has the cross of St Andrew as well as the cross of St. George and St. Patrick or the Royal crest which honors England Scotland, Wales and Ireland?
This post makes no sense.. it's the England team, not the United Kingdom team. If the England team used the Union Jack, I doubt the Scots, the Welsh or the Northern Irish would be too happy about that.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This post makes no sense.. it's the England team, not the United Kingdom team. If the England team used the Union Jack, I doubt the Scots, the Welsh or the Northern Irish would be too happy about that.
Precisely!

As has already been talked about there are, or were, English people willing to support all the Home Nations.

This attitude was for me soured when I got to find out how many of the Welsh and Scots were so anti English when it came to sport.

The culmination of this was when I saw with total disbelief a 're-enactment of Braveheart' at the start of the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield a few years ago.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,148 times
Personally Jezer, I hope to god the Scots vote yes for independence, what a relief that would be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom