Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This is what you said..

I'm just doing what you wanted - I can partake in banter. Evidently you can't.
No I am just a gloomy Scot. least I can watch curling on TV to cheer me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Ah..... 1966.... I remember it well. Germany came back almost at full time to make it 2 - 2. Heads went down.... the England players were exhausted and downhearted at having to play another fifteen minutes each way extra time.....
Yep, I remember it well too. I was at Scout camp. Now I am retired. Think about it.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hmmmmmmm. Well, with many of the same players at the World Cup in 1970, we once again played very well. A great game against Brazil which lives in the memory. We lost 1 - 0 against probably the greatest team ever, who of course went on to win the World Cup in that tournament.

It has been many years of hurt since that time. We didn't qualify in 1974, and 1978.... Scotland did but didn't do very well. Especially in 1978. But I cheered them on as Britain's representatives.

We have had good individual players down the years, but, only played well as a team occasionally. Some great games, and some bad ones. The 1990 team was a good one, and came fourth overall. I think somewhere about that time, the type of Englishmen we produced as footballers declined. The never give up grit of teams like the 1966 side, disappeared. That is when I lost interest in football. Greed took over the game. Players didn't seem proud to wear the England shirt anymore.

One of the reasons we didn't do better in the World Cup down the years, was the fact club football took priority over international football. Players, after a full season of club football, were then flown away for a short period of training together as a team, then thrown into the World Cup tournament. Many other teams came from countries that gave them much more preparation time before the World Cup games.

We will never win the World Cup again. I think this fact has sunk into supporters heads. The only possible way, would be for the players to be together for a few months before the World Cup. To train, practice, and play together for a long period of time. This is never going to happen, so we will never win it ever again.

But, that team of 66 will never be forgotten. Not just for winning the World Cup, but for the type of Englishmen they were and are. The surviving members of that team, receive hand shakes, and smiles whenever they get together in public. Not like the teams of today, with their many substitutes during the game, and everyone in the winning World Cup team getting a medal from all the squad players, to the manager. Back in 1966, only 11 men climbed the steps to receive their winner medals. Nothing for their manager Alf Ramsey except the pride of training those men. A few of those medals have come up for sale at auction over the years, and sold for large sums. The new owners hold guts and glory in their hands.
Good explanation for why England will never win the world cup again. Focus is definitely on clubs rather than international. I'm not sure why it can't be both - German clubs seem to excel yet they still do really well at the World Cup. Even when England get good results, their play is almost always sloppy.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
We have had good individual players down the years, but, only played well as a team occasionally. Some great games, and some bad ones. The 1990 team was a good one, and came fourth overall. I think somewhere about that time, the type of Englishmen we produced as footballers declined. The never give up grit of teams like the 1966 side, disappeared. That is when I lost interest in football. Greed took over the game. Players didn't seem proud to wear the England shirt anymore.
hmmm..Thought I'd throw this out...don't throw beer cans at me!...Just my opinion!!!..

Back when you guy, go look it up, England lost to a team from eastern Europe. Dee-stroyed...absolutely skinned alive, executed, put a fork in that English team they were 'done'.....but a very good 'done' one at that. That game saw some greatv tactical innovations in the game taking it to another level.

My theory is that that loss was the start of an examination that England was good but not good enough. Personally, I think it worked if you look around now....;-)....England is good but perhaps they need to think the same thoughts as back in the 50's if they want to get the money back???????????????????????

And oh let's not forget tennis. I see Andy M's on a roll. He got Lendl, see? and look what it's done....;-)....

Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
hmmm..Thought I'd throw this out...don't throw beer cans at me!...Just my opinion!!!..

Back when you guy, go look it up, England lost to a team from eastern Europe. Dee-stroyed...absolutely skinned alive, executed, put a fork in that English team they were 'done'.....but a very good 'done' one at that. That game saw some greatv tactical innovations in the game taking it to another level.

My theory is that that loss was the start of an examination that England was good but not good enough. Personally, I think it worked if you look around now....;-)....England is good but perhaps they need to think the same thoughts as back in the 50's if they want to get the money back???????????????????????
This was a game in 1953 against Hungary. At the time, they were rated the best team in the world. They beat England 6 -3..... slaughtered us.

It was a wake up call for England, and their antiquated training methods. As you say, it was a well needed lesson in how to play a more modern game. The difference between then and now, was the type of footballer England produced. Back then, they were willing to listen and learn. The money in the game for players was tiny compared to today.

To me, the modern English player, doesn't care particularly if he plays for England or not, unless there is even more money to be made from sponsors. They are selfish and greedy. The game today is awash in money, and the English players at the top of the game are not a good example to the young. As I said, my interest in the English team of today is nil. Once upon a time, I would never miss watching them in international games. I feel I am not alone, many others have lost interest.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
...and tarmac, telephones, bicycles, raincoats, and dozens and dozens more.
David Cameron
Can't let this go without stating two great Scottish football players Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
David Cameron
Can't let this go without stating two great Scottish football players Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson.
Neither were great players but they did become great managers. I remember seeing Ferguson play and he wasn't that good. Great Scottish players of that era were John White, Alan Gilzean, Dave Mackay, Billy Bremner, Denis Law and, of course Jim Baxter.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Now there was a great player, Jim Baxter... what a talent.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Neither were great players but they did become great managers. I remember seeing Ferguson play and he wasn't that good. Great Scottish players of that era were John White, Alan Gilzean, Dave Mackay, Billy Bremner, Denis Law and, of course Jim Baxter.
There is a wonderful statue outside Manchester United. It is of the three greatest players in the history of the club. Bobby Charlton, George Best, and Denis Law. What great footballers they were.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post

And oh let's not forget tennis. I see Andy M's on a roll. He got Lendl, see? and look what it's done....;-)....
You're not trying to claim Andy as English are you? I know the English call him British when he wins and Scottish when he loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom