Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You're right Jezer. I gave up on dreaming England would ever win the World Cup again about, hmmm, 1990.
But, my son lived in Scotland for about 15 years. He said the venom poured at the England team by Scots viewers in pubs was horrible. Not banter, real hate, and great joy all round when they were defeated.
Indeed. This apparent hate between England and Scotland is almost always a one-way street in my experience. I wouldn't say it's down to jealousy of the England football team, because let's be honest, they're not very good, but they're the only team who routinely qualify for the World Cup, and the media only ever mention England. It's like the England team = UK team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Indeed. This apparent hate between England and Scotland is almost always a one-way street in my experience. I wouldn't say it's down to jealousy of the England football team, because let's be honest, they're not very good, but they're the only team who routinely qualify for the World Cup, and the media only ever mention England. It's like the England team = UK team.
How do you think people would feel if there was a GB team instead of an England team?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How do you think people would feel if there was a GB team instead of an England team?
Apart from the Olympics the idea would never get off the ground.

Anyhow, apart from Gareth Bale and maybe a couple of others, which non English players would currently deserve a look in?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is impossible to be apathetic to England's success or failure because you get it rammed down your throat 24/7 by the national media.

For example, when England play in the World Cup, the media have them winning it before a ball is kicked. As a result, we Scots always love it when they - inevitably - end up getting knocked out.

In fact, more entertaining than them actually losing, is watching the post-mortems and trying to guess who this year's scapegoat is going to be.
Very true. They're still going on about 1966!

I can't speak for all of Scotland but in my area people wear the tshirts of some of the teams who are playing against England. I remember seeing lots of Brazil tshirts one year. English visitors are usually shocked when sitting in pubs here and all the locals cheering for the other team.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,606,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I remember seeing lots of Brazil tshirts one year. English visitors are usually shocked when sitting in pubs here and all the locals cheering for the other team.
How else are the Scottish going to experience footballing success?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Very true. They're still going on about 1966!

I can't speak for all of Scotland but in my area people wear the tshirts of some of the teams who are playing against England. I remember seeing lots of Brazil tshirts one year. English visitors are usually shocked when sitting in pubs here and all the locals cheering for the other team.
English visitors are certainly not 'shocked' about this we know all about the huge 'chip' on Scottish shoulders when it comes to sport and the English. The thing is that no matter how bad the English are at some sports its of some comfort to us knowing that the Scots are even worse! :-D

Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
English visitors are certainly not 'shocked' about this we know all about the huge 'chip' on Scottish shoulders when it comes to sport and the English. The thing is that no matter how bad the English are at some sports its of some comfort to us knowing that the Scots are even worse! :-D
It's more a dislike of arrogance and snootiness than a chip. The English go on and on and on and on about the most boring game ever invented - cricket.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 AM

37 posts, read 44,351 times
I think they will support both teams at the stadium.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
It's more a dislike of arrogance and snootiness than a chip. The English go on and on and on and on about the most boring game ever invented - cricket.
Are you suggesting Im arrogant and snooty!? Cricket is a gasme of skill and strategy, if you think cricket is boring what would that make American football or even worse baseball!! :-) .

Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Cricket boring..... A game of skill, and a game for gentlemen. As in the saying "that's not cricket" if someone behaves badly

As for American 'games'.... Baseball. A poor copy of an ancient English game called 'Rounders.' American Football, also a rip off of the English game 'Rugby.'

And sooooo boring to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom