Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because I mostly went to small ones like the Tesco's one sees in the touristy parts of Oxford or London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe it's because I mostly went to small ones like the Tesco's one sees in the touristy parts of Oxford or London.
If you go to small shops then the range is bound to be less.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
Quote:
Compared to America? Interesting, my mum was saying she found there was a lack of fresh produce compared to Australia, but we really are spoilt. The UK is better for cool climate fruits like berries though.
Spoilt ? The fruit in Australia is not that good unless one lives in Queensland, or grown locally, most fruit is picked before it ripens and gassed, bananas are floury and no taste.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,294 times
Sorry The Postman but quality of food is far greater here than the US. My American wife would be the first to agree.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Sorry The Postman but quality of food is far greater here than the US. My American wife would be the first to agree.
I'll attest to that too. You'd have to go to Whole Foods here (and pay twice as much) to find the same quality over here. No offense but I have always found most American supermarkets to be crap and depressing in comparison.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
One thing I will say, most American chocolate is pretty rubbish. High fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar. A lot of ours is too, I tend to stick with the European or stuff from chocolatiers.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,246 times
Quote:
Compared to America? Interesting, my mum was saying she found there was a lack of fresh produce compared to Australia, but we really are spoilt. The UK is better for cool climate fruits like berries though.

I don't find any lack of fresh produce. There is so much of it. And most is reasonably priced. Of course it's highly seasonal. And lots of things come from South America or Mexico. If you want local, you have to be seasonal. But from what I've been able to see, UK food prices are cheaper than the USA.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I found UK grocery prices to be the same as here but the quality was better. If I wanted food like I could buy in the UK I would have to go to one of those expensive grocery stores like Whole Foods. We call it Whole Wallet.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Well the UK grows a lot of produce and even if it comes from elsewhere in the EU, it doesn't have to be shipped as far as it does in the US. I think that's why the quality here is sometimes not as good. Food has to travel further.
It depends completely on where you are in the US. I live in Texas and the selection of fresh produce around here, even in the dead of winter, is amazing. It's like that throughout the south - which is a huge chunk of the country.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I'll attest to that too. You'd have to go to Whole Foods here (and pay twice as much) to find the same quality over here. No offense but I have always found most American supermarkets to be crap and depressing in comparison.
I agree as well. I'm American and find fruit and veg in the UK much better and much of it is cheaper.

The huge variety of junk food in American stores is a good explanation for the width of the shoppers. They are still ahead in the percentage of obese compared to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom