Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingThat View Post
Political discussion in LA will be as far from FOX as you will find.

US has a more diverse political discussion. USA is catching up with the political correctness of UK and Europe in general, but thank god its not there yet. They still lock up people for saying things in the press there right? Unless your tapping celebs and silly monarchs.
You're joking right? Far more PC here in the States...FAR more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:33 AM

684 posts, read 1,122,386 times
The US is lucky in that it has numerous major, world class cities. LA, NY, Chicago - the UK has only London.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Yes but you can't compare the UK to the USA. A fairer way would to compare North America to Europe or Western Europe to the USA.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
The US is lucky in that it has numerous major, world class cities. LA, NY, Chicago - the UK has only London.
Britain isn't just London either. I take it you've never been to Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool or Glasgow? Their city centers would blow most US cities away in terms of shopping, museums, libraries and infrastructure.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM

120 posts, read 425,073 times
I'll throw my two-cents in here and say LA is a hell-hole compared to London. I wasn't a great fan of London, but if i had the choice between LA and London, I'd go for London.
I spent quite a few years in LA back in the early 90's and lived through the LA Riots, the rolling power blackouts, the earthquakes, the illegal immigrants, the high-cost of living, and I couldn't stand it anymore. Compared to London, yes, in an hour drive from LA you're in the mountains, at the ocean, in the desert and have the ability to travel anywhere within a day.
I'm a born and bred American and I'm currently looking to relocate to the UK or Germany and plan to retire in either place. Not sure I have a great reason for wanting to do that.
I say go where your heart leads you but definitely lean towards London
Cheers

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

120 posts, read 425,073 times
Quote:
I wouldn't quite say NY Chicago and LA are "world-class" cities. And as someone previously stated, there are more cities than London to think about in the UK.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,782 times
Well I would suggets going to London just for the diversity. In a good way of course. You might miss the long summer days (yes, the hype is true, London does have really bad weather compared to LA). It might be pricy, but so are the wages and you won't feel that too much. I would go if I was you

Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 875 times
Coming from Ireland and living and working in London for the past 25 years, the BEST thing about London is its 5 airports and its central location on the globe. 1 hr flight West and you have green hills and the wild Atlantic in Ireland or 1hr south and you have a completely different language eating and drinking French cuisine. London parks are amazing in the summer too.But..........I'm considering a move to LA now.I'm in the airports way too often. This time I want the mountains on my doorstep.I am an avid mountainbiker and to drive to anything that closely looks like a mountain near London takes a 6hr drive to get to and thats not even a bank holiday.Yes there are some nice forrests and canals to ride on that you sometimes ask yourself are you still in London? Question is, will I have gotten used to the mountains,beaches of LA and want to start flying again?? My other bug bear of London is living space. From previous trips to Marin and SF I was blown away by just how much space everyone has. From roads to condos. Will I miss 5 airports?

Cheers.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:58 AM

170 posts, read 72,165 times
Quote:
But London has more variety and world class cities on its doorstep. It's only a short flight away from anywhere in Europe; North Africa and western Asia aren't too far away either.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
For the size of the US, it has proportionally less "World Class" cities than the UK.

About 45 states are bigger than the UK in land area, and how many "World Class" cities? 4, 5, 6 at the outside. Even by population you'd expect 6 or more.

Personally I'd die before moving to Cali, property and income taxes alone put me off, then there are property prices in any major metro area. In fact I just did this, blew off a company in San Jose that wanted me, and needed me to relocate. Doing the math I've more residual spending power not there, so we're working an angle for London or Zurich instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom