Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 AM

684 posts, read 1,122,849 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles - weather, beautiful people.

London - everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Los Angeles - weather, beautiful people.

London - everything else.
London also contains beautiful people. Take me for example, I go there occasionally.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Seriously???

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years, and I can tell you without a doubt that political discourse in America is about as moronic, biased, one dimensional, lowest common denominator, tribal and simplistic as it is possible to find.

Fox News is probably the worst example (they're totally ****ing insane), but they're all pretty bad. The UK political coverage in the media, for all its faults, is light years ahead of the USA.
I found that comment hard to believe too. Most Americans are usually impressed with the political discourse that takes place in House of Commons.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
I would take London over LA. Apart from the climate there's not much else LA can offer more than London. It's just officially become the worlds most expensive city but if that's not a problem, and it's good for your career then the easily question is 'why not'?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Seriously???

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years, and I can tell you without a doubt that political discourse in America is about as moronic, biased, one dimensional, lowest common denominator, tribal and simplistic as it is possible to find.

Fox News is probably the worst example (they're totally ****ing insane), but they're all pretty bad. The UK political coverage in the media, for all its faults, is light years ahead of the USA.

Total rubbish. Politics here is about as irritating as it gets, but people here are far more engaged in politics than at home. Just look at the rise of the right wing fringe parties in the UK as an example of how crazy it is there too! Fox News is hardly "insane", even though I disagree with the political pundits that feature on it.

To be honest, I actually prefer the apathetic attitude in Britsin toward politics, but it's actually behind the US in terms of coverage and engagement.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
How many people are capable of actually forming a coherent opinion on a political matter? You can engage in politics while being completely clueless and knowing very little. If I had a pound for every time I heard someone talking about a political party and sounding like a moron while doing so because they don't know what they're talking about, I'd be a millionaire. This usually includes comments about evil Tories (if you're going to claim a political party is evil, at least say why rather than just stating it outright).

Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
How many people are capable of actually forming a coherent opinion on a political matter? You can engage in politics while being completely clueless and knowing very little. If I had a pound for every time I heard someone talking about a political party and sounding like a moron while doing so because they don't know what they're talking about, I'd be a millionaire. This usually includes comments about evil Tories (if you're going to claim a political party is evil, at least say why rather than just stating it outright).
I agree with you. "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Churchill.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 PM

490 posts, read 682,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Total rubbish. Politics here is about as irritating as it gets, but people here are far more engaged in politics than at home. Just look at the rise of the right wing fringe parties in the UK as an example of how crazy it is there too! Fox News is hardly "insane", even though I disagree with the political pundits that feature on it.

To be honest, I actually prefer the apathetic attitude in Britsin toward politics, but it's actually behind the US in terms of coverage and engagement.
No Ian, not rubbish at all. People in the US may on average be more engaged, but engaged doesn't always equal informed or level headed. The average American is 'engaged' in the process of blind support for one party, listening to anyone who spouts the soundbites they agree with and either ignoring or shouting down any contrary opinion.

American politics is so absurdly partisan. The left and right are much farther apart than in Britain.

And yes, Fox is totally barking mad. Wildly biased reporting, open hatred of Obama and employs some of the craziest ranters ever seen on a news channel. Thankfully the tin foil hat wearing Glenn Beck has departed, but the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, Huckabee and 'Jesus was a white guy' Megyn Kelly still pollute the airwaves with Rupet Murdoch working them like puppets. It really is a sick joke of a so called news channel.
In reality it's just the propaganda wing of the loony Teabagger movement. 'Fair and Balanced' is the last thing it is.

Political coverage in the UK may be far from perfect, but it's a lot more rational and impartial by comparison.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
No Ian, not rubbish at all. People in the US may on average be more engaged, but engaged doesn't always equal informed or level headed. The average American is 'engaged' in the process of blind support for one party, listening to anyone who spouts the soundbites they agree with and either ignoring or shouting down any contrary opinion.

American politics is so absurdly partisan. The left and right are much farther apart than in Britain.

And yes, Fox is totally barking mad. Wildly biased reporting, open hatred of Obama and employs some of the craziest ranters ever seen on a news channel. Thankfully the tin foil hat wearing Glenn Beck has departed, but the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, Huckabee and 'Jesus was a white guy' Megyn Kelly still pollute the airwaves with Rupet Murdoch working them like puppets. It really is a sick joke of a so called news channel.
In reality it's just the propaganda wing of the loony Teabagger movement. 'Fair and Balanced' is the last thing it is.

Political coverage in the UK may be far from perfect, but it's a lot more rational and impartial by comparison.
The people you mention are not "reporters" but political pundits. I would agree that they are completely biased and I disagree with their opinions, however, they are not mad. Bill O'Reilly is a smart guy who would hold his own with any British politician.

The parties are but farther apart than in the UK either. Discourse is extreme, but the democrats are a center right party, just further left than the republicans. The UK has its own teabaggers; UKIP, the BNP not to mention the EDL. You're making statements that are not based on reality but your own baseless opinions: the very thing that is the problem in the first place.

And what "political coverage" in the UK are you talking about? Have you read the headlines of Britain's biggest selling papers recently.? Hardly a shining example of quality reporting!!

Last edited by Gungnir; 01-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Inflammatory

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,616 times
I would choose Los Angeles. This is why:

~Don't underestimate how nice LA's weather is. The weather in London can be depressing at times. Especially in the winter when instead of real rain its more of a constant grey/drizzle. LA on the other hand has had only one day in the past month where the high dipped below 70...just one.(High pressure systems are amazing aren't they)
~The homes in London generally suck, especially if you are in a new home. Much like LA, homes are small and overpriced but it's even worse in London. Plus the quality of the homes in london(new homes) don't seem to be as good as in LA, my opinion though.
~While both cities are international magnets for immigrants, LA has better and cheaper Mexican food so the rest is irrelevant. But both have world class overpriced restaurants and small cash only hidden gems(which are better than the expensive restaurants) so you can't go wrong with choosing either city in that respect. Unless of course you like mexican food.
~The beaches are nice even if the water is freezing in LA. Beaches in England are garbage.
~You can go snowboarding every day in winter if you live in LA(weather dependent). There are zero mountains near London. Also a plus with the mountains is the hiking is great if you take advantage of the insane amount of natural beauty socal has to offer. London is a prettier city to walk through though, which is nice. England also has the beautiful farmland. So it depends on what you prefer.
~Everything is more expensive in london, everything.

But I'd love to spend a year or maybe two in London. I'd want to move back afterwords but it's an amazing city. Whatever floats your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom