Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The Scots got their name and Gaelic language from the Irish e.g. the Scoti. The Scoti is what the Romans called the Irish. It is now thought that the Picts spoke a P-Celtic language related to Brythonic languages.

Gaelic is not at all related to old English. I'm not sure if I took your sentence out of context and that's not what you meant? Gaelic is a Q-Celtic language.

Anyway as can be seen I love the historical stuff as well as genetics.
Yes, you are right about the Scoti giving Scotland its name. But what's your take on the Cruthin? Their name is mentioned in some books about Scotland. Were the Cruthin the Roman's Scoti ?

Last edited by Ulsterman; 08-11-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Celts were a culture, not a race or ethnicity. A culture born in current day Germany when Germanics (culture) did not exist.

Just as the bell shaped pottery culture, which was born in Hispania and spread all around Europe without population mouvement.

Compare it to fast food or christianity, or trekkie culture...cultures.

Brits are basically Britons that went from the megalithic culture to the celtic culture. Megalithic culture was more important for Ireland. Ireland has the most important megalithic monuments.

Roma did not conquer Ireland, Hibernia, but they knew them as they were famous pirates and prowlers. According to them, Irish were savages, just as the picts, probably the same people.
Were the Celts not chased from Europe by those other land-grabbers ...the Romans. As far as I am aware thats' why many of them came to the British Isles.

Yes, the Picts and Celts could be the same people.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 AM

A Cruthin banner
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-cruthin-banner.jpg  

Old 08-11-2018, 01:06 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
So you're saying Scottish people aren't Celtic?
Yup, 21st century Scots are as Celtic as I am! In fact hang on a minute, just like MANY other Englishmen I have Scots blood, does that make me Celtic? Like MANY other Englishmen I also have Welsh in my recent family, go back 1000 years and I can guarantee that (like all other English/Scotch/Welsh people) I have 'blood' relatives from the whole bloody continent, are the Scots Celts? Yes perhaps 2000 years ago! I don't suppose you believe all Scots are 'ginger' haired by any chance do you?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:29 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yup, 21st century Scots are as Celtic as I am! In fact hang on a minute, just like MANY other Englishmen I have Scots blood, does that make me Celtic?
Celtic language is from at least the 6th century BC from regions of Europe that are no longer considered Celtic. Any group of people that dates from that far back is bound to have widespread dispersion of their "blood". It doesn't mean you are entitled to say the culture no longer exists.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yes, you are right about the Scoti giving Scotland its name. But what's your take on the Cruthin? Their name is mentioned in some books about Scotland. Were the Cruthin the Roman's Scoti ?
I read that the Cruthin were similar to the Picts.

Quote:
The name Cruthin, Cruthini, Cruthni, Cruithni, or Cruithini(the modern Irish Cruithne) was given to the Picts and to another group of people who lived alongside the Ulaid in eastern Ulster.
https://celticlife.com/celtic-picts-of-scotland/

Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
No...ufff.
The first were from Portugal, though some presume they came from North Africa.
There's a difference of 800 years between Portugal and Central Europe's bell beakers.
It was a European-North african culture that expanded everywhere.
The culture also expanded among R1b, but much later.
The confusion is in calling two different groups of people Bell Beaker. The ones from Portugal were non-R1b and Neolithic Farmers. The Central European Bell Beakers were R1b with a large Steppe component to their genetics. There was no R1b-M269 in Europe before the Bronze Age. No Neolithic genomes carried R1b-M269 including the Bell Beakers from Iberia. So different people. I'll look for a quote from one of the papers published and post it here when I find it.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Celtic language is from at least the 6th century BC from regions of Europe that are no longer considered Celtic. Any group of people that dates from that far back is bound to have widespread dispersion of their "blood". It doesn't mean you are entitled to say the culture no longer exists.
Quite, the British Isles has been invaded/settled by people from just about every corner of Europe for thousands of years, and now it has been settled by people from across the globe for hundreds of years (in fact there were people from further afield than Europe living in Britain 2000 years ago):-

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-25962183

Scots, English, Welsh and Irish do not have 'different' culture in the 21st Century, Like it or not the Irish 'culture' is very like that of the English and vice versa, despite being from Kent and living far closer to France than to Scotland I can categorically say that in terms of 'culture' Kent is FAR FAR closer to Scotland than France. All this talk of 'Celtic' or 'Saxon' is ridiculous in todays Britain.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 AM

505 posts, read 393,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Were the Celts not chased from Europe by those other land-grabbers ...the Romans. As far as I am aware thats' why many of them came to the British Isles.

Yes, the Picts and Celts could be the same people.

They were the same people related since 300-400 BC. La Tene Celtic Iron Age.

Last edited by farinello; 08-12-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 05:20 AM

505 posts, read 393,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The confusion is in calling two different groups of people Bell Beaker. The ones from Portugal were non-R1b and Neolithic Farmers. The Central European Bell Beakers were R1b with a large Steppe component to their genetics. There was no R1b-M269 in Europe before the Bronze Age. No Neolithic genomes carried R1b-M269 including the Bell Beakers from Iberia. So different people. I'll look for a quote from one of the papers published and post it here when I find it.

Right, it was a culture..nothing to do with genetics- They were all bell beakers notwistanding genetics. It was a multicultural expansion.

You place too much emphasis on genetics.

Just an example, say that 10.000 years from now archeologists are intrigued by the genetics of the "pìzza culture".

Last edited by farinello; 08-12-2018 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom