Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 03:25 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I was addressing that post to rj. So to make it clear ( and I have mentioned it before ) there was a Bloody Sunday and the army killed people there. They also killed people in Belfast. Some were Catholics and some were Protestants.

There were guns on the Irish Republican side that day. Its reported in the Salville Inquiry.
Quote:
Yes, true and I have said that till i'm getting fed up to the teeth saying it. THERE WAS GOOD AND BAD ON BOTH SIDES. UVF, IRA,UDA, RHC, INLA ETC ETC ETC
This is true and you have said it. HOWEVER, on occasion we are posting about a specific incident or tragedy where I and others have condemned (without equivocation) the incident. Which of course means not saying XYZ is bad, but ABC also did this to our side.

To cite several examples, you posted a video of young Irish kids singing anti-British songs and seeming to be having a grand time doing so.
We both agreed it was bad to indoctrinate kids into hating people they don't even know. That sows the seeds of hate which will make it more difficult to chart a peaceful co-existence with each other, regardless of whether Ireland becomes one nation.
YET, in a different post I asked about some of the bigoted songs little British kids are learning during the marching season, and you didn't condemn it without making excuses, and/or bring up the Irish were doing it also.
Another example is when I pointed out how the Shankhill bombing was inexcusable, regardless of what the intention of the bomber was.
No ifs, ands or buts, period.
[I could have emulated you by saying both sides do bad things, and the LVF did XYZ which was also bad, but I didn't]

So I was surprised to hear you and others make excuses for Bloody Sunday by bringing up how there may have been firearms on the Irish Republican side.
[Considering what happened that day and in previous encounters with the Brit military & RUC, is it any wonder why they may have wanted to have firearms]
The bottom line is it was an inexcusable massacre of innocent and unarmed civilians during a peaceful civil right march, by the British military.
So despite stubbornness and not wanting to give an inch, you should be able to condemn what happened on Bloody Sunday unequivocally, without excuses or mentioning how both sides are at fault.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
That's the one I was thinking of croagh Patrick. Its quite a while since I read or saw pictures about it but when I did it showed them with bare feet and crawling on their knees. Of course whatever turns them on. I don't think I would make it to the top. or even half-way
Hope to visit North antrim for a holiday some time, was up as far as Ballymoney around ten years ago, a good protestant man who tragically died young but who had a hardware store where I'm from for a good few years , advised me to visit a man up there in North antrim as he reckoned he was a miracle worker when it comes to back problems, not sure if miracles are a thing for protestant folk but I was prepared to try anything at the time, only went the once as it seemed an hour north of Belfast, beautiful countryside up there in North antrim.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
Quote:
I was addressing that post to rj. So to make it clear ( and I have mentioned it before ) there was a Bloody Sunday and the army killed people there. They also killed people in Belfast. Some were Catholics and some were Protestants.

There were guns on the Irish Republican side that day. Its reported in the Salville Inquiry.
Yup Irish People and Ulster people were killed on both sides stop making it out to be like one side was a bunch of thugs and one side was a bunch of saints.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This is true and you have said it. HOWEVER, on occasion we are posting about a specific incident or tragedy where I and others have condemned (without equivocation) the incident. Which of course means not saying XYZ is bad, but ABC also did this to our side.

To cite several examples, you posted a video of young Irish kids singing anti-British songs and seeming to be having a grand time doing so.
We both agreed it was bad to indoctrinate kids into hating people they don't even know. That sows the seeds of hate which will make it more difficult to chart a peaceful co-existence with each other, regardless of whether Ireland becomes one nation.
YET, in a different post I asked about some of the bigoted songs little British kids are learning during the marching season, and you didn't condemn it without making excuses, and/or bring up the Irish were doing it also.
Another example is when I pointed out how the Shankhill bombing was inexcusable, regardless of what the intention of the bomber was.
No ifs, ands or buts, period.
[I could have emulated you by saying both sides do bad things, and the LVF did XYZ which was also bad, but I didn't]

So I was surprised to hear you and others make excuses for Bloody Sunday by bringing up how there may have been firearms on the Irish Republican side.
[Considering what happened that day and in previous encounters with the Brit military & RUC, is it any wonder why they may have wanted to have firearms]
The bottom line is it was an inexcusable massacre of innocent and unarmed civilians during a peaceful civil right march, by the British military.
So despite stubbornness and not wanting to give an inch, you should be able to condemn what happened on Bloody Sunday unequivocally, without excuses or mentioning how both sides are at fault.

`

You are dictating what I should do. I'll not tell you what you should do and would appreciate it if you would do the same . I quoted from the Saville report. A Catholic woman broke the silence and said there were firearms on the Irish republican side. This woman lived in the Bogside/Creggan and she was a brave woman for speaking out. Yes, the army shot and killed people and it was bad what happened. They shot and killed unarmed unionist people too. I lived though those times. Did you ?

Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Yup Irish People and Ulster people were killed on both sides stop making it out to be like one side was a bunch of thugs and one side was a bunch of saints.

When I listed the paramilitaries involved from both sides I should have made it plain that those mentioned were the bad ones ..thugs. When I said there was good and bad on both sides I meant the ordinary people living their daily lives and not a member of any paramilitary group. '' there was good and bad on both sides ''

Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Hope to visit North antrim for a holiday some time, was up as far as Ballymoney around ten years ago, a good protestant man who tragically died young but who had a hardware store where I'm from for a good few years , advised me to visit a man up there in North antrim as he reckoned he was a miracle worker when it comes to back problems, not sure if miracles are a thing for protestant folk but I was prepared to try anything at the time, only went the once as it seemed an hour north of Belfast, beautiful countryside up there in North antrim.

Aye, it is as you have said a beautiful part of the country. I remember the Glens of Antrim though I was only there once. I visited the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge took a chance and walked across it and was glad to get back to the other side Then of course there is the Giants Causeway. I would say Protestant folk in the countryside are into charms etc not so in the cities maybe. Have a wee book somewhere in the house about that side of things.

As mentioned before the last time I was in Dublin was when I went to see the bodies in the vaults. That was quite an experience.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Aye, it is as you have said a beautiful part of the country. I remember the Glens of Antrim though I was only there once. I visited the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge took a chance and walked across it and was glad to get back to the other side Then of course there is the Giants Causeway. I would say Protestant folk in the countryside are into charms etc not so in the cities maybe. Have a wee book somewhere in the house about that side of things.

As mentioned before the last time I was in Dublin was when I went to see the bodies in the vaults. That was quite an experience.
Now that I think of it again, I was half way between Ballymoney and Ballymena,can't recall the town or village, good bit north of Belfast.

Been to the ferry in Belfast and the airport but only further up the once, been to Newry a few times but its a fairly average town, was also in portadown a few times, bit like Newry only one is predominantly unionist and the other nationalist - republican, neither a must see.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Now that I think of it again, I was half way between Ballymoney and Ballymena,can't recall the town or village, good bit north of Belfast.

Been to the ferry in Belfast and the airport but only further up the once, been to Newry a few times but its a fairly average town, was also in portadown a few times, bit like Newry only one is predominantly unionist and the other nationalist - republican, neither a must see.

Can't think of the place between Ballymena and Ballymoney. I know there is a Woodgreen somewhere around where you mention. How I came to know that was because of a song '' down by the green rushes in Bonnie Woodgreen where me and my true love so often have been ''. I thought it was a made-up name to suit the song but was told by a Ballymeana man that such a place existed. I'm a city man Belfast born and bred Having said that there is some beautiful countryside in the Belfast area.

Have been to Newry a few times. I think the unionists would be on the fringes of the city as its mostly a nationalist town. I remember seeing a bar in it called the Frontier Bar it was a unionist bar but don't think it is there now. This is the wee book I spoke of.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ccf15122018_00000.jpg  

Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Can't think of the place between Ballymena and Ballymoney. I know there is a Woodgreen somewhere around where you mention. How I came to know that was because of a song '' down by the green rushes in Bonnie Woodgreen where me and my true love so often have been ''. I thought it was a made-up name to suit the song but was told by a Ballymeana man that such a place existed. I'm a city man Belfast born and bred Having said that there is some beautiful countryside in the Belfast area.

Have been to Newry a few times. I think the unionists would be on the fringes of the city as its mostly a nationalist town. I remember seeing a bar in it called the Frontier Bar it was a unionist bar but don't think it is there now. This is the wee book I spoke of.

I grew up three quarters of an hour north of Dublin ( not dundalk or drogheda) but live in Galway City ( for now)

I've not been to the city hub of Belfast at all but my three sisters have several times and are fond of the place.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I grew up three quarters of an hour north of Dublin ( not dundalk or drogheda) but live in Galway City ( for now)

I've not been to the city hub of Belfast at all but my three sisters have several times and are fond of the place.

Its not so bad now. The song by Barnbrack paints a picture of the city '' Shaws Bridge river Lagan I'm going home to them all '' ''Of all the places I have been there's only one which fills my dream '' OK its probably romanticized a bit but it does remind me of some places I grew up around.

I had a relation who married a girl from Drogheda. He was down there playing a football match when he met her and she moved to Belfast.

Have never been to Galway or indeed and other town or city outside of Dublin. Oop's forgot we went on holiday to Dun Laoghhaire one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom