Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some Protestants, particularly Baptists, aren't baptized until they decide they want to be, which could be well into adulthood.
No she was a Presbyterian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't think you can't gauge people by internet boards. I mean if you look at some of the content on here or any board you would be left with strange impressions about people. People will say very confrontational things on the internet that they would never say otherwise. They are "internet warriors" and "trolls".

Most people if you meet them face to face and are a reasonable person will give you the benefit of a doubt. I've actually lived in Dublin a lot closer to when The Troubles happened and there was English people there who had no problems. My cousin's husband who was an Englishman used to visit regularly and loved it in Dublin and Ireland in general. I live in Australia and there are loads of English and Irish people here and there is not much brought up about past issues at all. People just don't in general discuss it.

I find most people have moved on and this is especially the case with younger people who have lived in a time where there is no animosity between Ireland and Britain. Your experiences appear to be different but I remember you have said you've never been in the Republic at all.
Well maybe you were right but I eventually left that forum because I got tired of the complete ignorance and intolerance of the people on there. They were absolutey pathetic and old fashioned.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the invading british nearly expelled the irish language forever yet unionists have this persecution complex about irish people in northern ireland wanting to embrace and maintain gaeilge

big deal , get over it , the union is safe for the foreseable future , stop trying to demonise everything which the other side holds dear
I'm not a fan of the parades. Its not really the parades its just because (in my town) it attracts scumbags and lowlifes who destroy the town with alcohol bottles and shout racist sectarian remakes. We don't leave (we just stay in the house) but you can see why some Catholics do. Also alot of bandspeople have this attitude were they think because they are in a band that they can walk all over you. Lol well I went to school with these people and alot of them dropped out early, have three kids already and are just plain thick. There are still alot of bitter people, especially in Coleraine lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Well its exploited by SinnFein and other hard line republicans , which is probably grossly unfair on the language but it explains the hostility shown to it on the Unionist side.
Also there resentment at the taxpayers millions spent on it (& the same amount spent on that farcical other "language", Ulster Scots, as a balance) at a time when hospitals and schools are closing all over the province.
Why should every official government document have money spent on two little used tongues when every speaker of those in the country is fluent in English. There's far more justification for translations of those things into Polish or Cantonese than Gaelic or Ulster Scots.
I live in an Ulster Scots area and its the biggest pile of ****e ever. The funny thing is that its people from Belfast who launched it. I mean ok we do talk like Scottish people and i'm sure its history is interesting but its hardly a language and what do you expect? Scotland is closer than Belfast from our houses.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if that makes unionists insecure , thats their problem
No. Sien Fien use it as a platform to promote nationalism. I don't even mind Irish it just makes me Angry the way SF destroy it and stick up their wee crappy Irish signs. Then all the Republicans translate their names into Irish. It kind of annoys me aswell because they are insinuating that they are more Irish because they speak (4 words) of Irish.

Also I find it hard to take seriously now because when I hear about Irish all I think about is one of them moronic politicans with the crazy hair.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well its exploited by SinnFein and other hard line republicans , which is probably grossly unfair on the language but it explains the hostility shown to it on the Unionist side.
Also there resentment at the taxpayers millions spent on it (& the same amount spent on that farcical other "language", Ulster Scots, as a balance) at a time when hospitals and schools are closing all over the province.
Why should every official government document have money spent on two little used tongues when every speaker of those in the country is fluent in English. There's far more justification for translations of those things into Polish or Cantonese than Gaelic or Ulster Scots.
We were laughing last night in my A level Maths class at the Irish language paper and how stupid it is, basically no one uses it.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
the irish language makes unionists uncomfortable because unionists have this incredibly domineering cultural attitude , they wish to subjugate the other side in every sense and that includes language and other cultural practices , they have a chip on their shoulder about the GAA as well ( and i say that as someone who prefers soccer to GAA by a distance )

Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
ulster scots is not a language by any measure , its at best a dialect of sorts

Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I'm not a fan of the parades. Its not really the parades its just because (in my town) it attracts scumbags and lowlifes who destroy the town with alcohol bottles and shout racist sectarian remakes. We don't leave (we just stay in the house) but you can see why some Catholics do. Also alot of bandspeople have this attitude were they think because they are in a band that they can walk all over you. Lol well I went to school with these people and alot of them dropped out early, have three kids already and are just plain thick. There are still alot of bitter people, especially in Coleraine lol.
im not opposed to the 12th celebrations and it looks like a nice family day out for the most part but they should show some sensitivity and avoid walking through areas which are of a different heritage , not everyone views william the dutch king in the same way

Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No. Sien Fien use it as a platform to promote nationalism. I don't even mind Irish it just makes me Angry the way SF destroy it and stick up their wee crappy Irish signs. Then all the Republicans translate their names into Irish. It kind of annoys me aswell because they are insinuating that they are more Irish because they speak (4 words) of Irish.

Also I find it hard to take seriously now because when I hear about Irish all I think about is one of them moronic politicans with the crazy hair.
sinn fein dont have a monopoly on the irish language , gerry adams speaks it badly ]]

i wouldnt vote sinn fein but trying to equate the irish language with sinn fein is just spurious , the majority of people in the republic of ireland who speak irish and who are active in the irish language movement are not sinn fein voters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom