Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
They would have needed larger numbers than they had to overthrow the government in 1939, the numbers they had wouldn't stage a coup up against a local authority

This is the first time I've ever heard it said the Irish free state was in danger of being replaced by a Berlin puppet

Well done on having a vivid imagination

Ah the truth hurts. Why were they in contact with the Nazis in the first place. The Irish never like to admit to any wrongdoing and so the Nazi connection never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 02:59 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Ah the truth hurts. Why were they in contact with the Nazis in the first place. The Irish never like to admit to any wrongdoing and so the Nazi connection never happened.
Sure if think we are all Nazis, come out and say it, I never take anything personal online, I just don't buy your wild historical theory about collusion at state level

Old 02-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Sure if think we are all Nazis, come out and say it, I never take anything personal online, I just don't buy your wild historical theory about collusion at state level

I'm stating a simple fact that there were Irish who were involved with the Nazis and these included those who have statues of them in the Irish Republic to this very day.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'm stating a simple fact that there were Irish who were involved with the Nazis and these included those who have statues of them in the Irish Republic to this very day.
You drew comparison with 1916 in a loose disjointed way, 1916 was nearly 25 years earlier, your thesis is all over the place

A handful of idiots colluded, you almost make it sound like the Irish free state had an identical relationship to Germany as Italy during that period

If you have a point amongst the flimsy case, its bogus

Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You drew comparison with 1916 in a loose disjointed way, 1916 was nearly 25 years earlier, your thesis is all over the place

A handful of idiots colluded, you almost make it sound like the Irish free state had an identical relationship to Germany as Italy during that period

Of course you are never going to say '' that's right we had a connection with the Nazis '' full stop but the fact remains the Irish did have a connection to the Nazis. Simple as that.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Of course you are never going to say '' that's right we had a connection with the Nazis '' full stop but the fact remains the Irish did have a connection to the Nazis. Simple as that.
I already said a handful had a connection, Sean Russell being the most infamous, Sean Russell was in no capacity a representative of the irish state

You saying "the Irish" had a connection to the Nazis means about as much as if I said the British had a connection with Islamic state, its a fact a handful ( relative to the population) of British citizens were - are in league with IS but no serious commentator would make a statement like

"the British have a connection to Islamic state"

That would be an arbitrary fact - piece of data which serves to make no point in the grand scheme of things

Expected better from you as you are usually not given to hyperbole

Last edited by irish_bob; 02-27-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:

The Nazis got support from Ireland and not from the UK or other allied countries.

I think I have already said that not all Irish were involved just as all Irish were not involved in the 1916 Rising but 1916 brought about a new regime and this could have been the case in 1939/41. It doesn't take everybody or even a majority to bring change.

Its reckoned that 70,000 Irish fought on the allied side. That's a lot more than the 10,000 that Russell said they had but of course Russell and his mates were reckoning on the Nazis filling that void

Taoiseach Eamon de Valera calls to the German Embassy in Dublin, 2 May 1945, to offer condolences on the death of Adolf Hitler. Irish Times, May 3, 1945.

President Douglas Hyde also expressed his condolences on the death of Hitler.
Irish Press, May 4, 1945. Hyde also visited the Nazi ambassador personally.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The Nazis got support from Ireland and not from the UK or other allied countries.

I think I have already said that not all Irish were involved just as all Irish were not involved in the 1916 Rising but 1916 brought about a new regime and this could have been the case in 1939/41. It doesn't take everybody or even a majority to bring change.

Its reckoned that 70,000 Irish fought on the allied side. That's a lot more than the 10,000 that Russell said they had but of course Russell and his mates were reckoning on the Nazis filling that void

Taoiseach Eamon de Valera calls to the German Embassy in Dublin, 2 May 1945, to offer condolences on the death of Adolf Hitler. Irish Times, May 3, 1945.

President Douglas Hyde also expressed his condolences on the death of Hitler.
Irish Press, May 4, 1945. Hyde also visited the Nazi ambassador personally.
Didn't I earlier say de velera was a thundering disgrace to do what he did.

The Nazis might well have gotten support from as many in England itself for all anyone on this forum knows, moseley was a prominent fascist who would likely have had channels to musellini who obviously had a pact with Hitler.

There is no real point to be had here, had Ireland been helping out the Nazis in any remotely meaningful way, the place would have been levelled

History doesn't record Ireland as having supported the Nazis, no historical record however can account for every citizen in a country and you don't conclude a nation was in a pact with another just because a small number of idiots were

PS, Douglas Hyde was a Protestant

Old 02-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Didn't I earlier say de velera was a thundering disgrace to do what he did.

The Nazis might well have gotten support from as many in England itself for all anyone on this forum knows, moseley was a prominent fascist who would likely have had channels to musellini who obviously had a pact with Hitler.

There is no real point to be had here, had Ireland been helping out the Nazis in any remotely meaningful way, the place would have been levelled

History doesn't record Ireland as having supported the Nazis, no historical record however can account for every citizen in a country and you don't conclude a nation was in a pact with another just because a small number of idiots were

PS, Douglas Hyde was a Protestant

I knew Hyde was a Protestant but he was Irish and gave his condolence when he heard Hitler had died.

You say Moseley would likely have channels to Mussolini who had a pact with Hitler. That's guesswork. In the case of Ireland it was a factual relationship with the Nazis. No guesswork.

Do you class Pearse and his mates as a small number of idiots? Idiots or not they were small in number but brought about change. Its quite possible that if the Brits had invaded Dublin the Irish would have welcomed the Nazis to help throw them out.. They might not have liked the Nazis but but they disliked the British even more. The British had killed around 500 or so Irish. The Nazis had not killed any

Don't forget that after WW2 some Nazis sought refuge in Ireland and got it.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I knew Hyde was a Protestant but he was Irish and gave his condolence when he heard Hitler had died.

You say Moseley would likely have channels to Mussolini who had a pact with Hitler. That's guesswork. In the case of Ireland it was a factual relationship with the Nazis. No guesswork.

Do you class Pearse and his mates as a small number of idiots? Idiots or not they were small in number but brought about change. Its quite possible that if the Brits had invaded Dublin the Irish would have welcomed the Nazis to help throw them out.. They might not have liked the Nazis but but they disliked the British even more. The British had killed around 500 or so Irish. The Nazis had not killed any

Don't forget that after WW2 some Nazis sought refuge in Ireland and got it.
What is with this 1916 - Nazis link?, are you confusing the German state in 1916 with 1939, pearse and the rebels were attempting to get weapons from Germany, the German regime of 1916 bore no relation to the one of 1939

I fully support the 1916 revolution, I don't support any Irish person who had any truck with the Nazi regime, don't apologise for them but don't feel guilt by association of nationality either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom