Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Here's one from the " you really couldn't make it up " department.

A Sinn Fein TD in the Irish parliament says the New IRA, behind the recent murder of journalist Lyra McKee, "besmirch the name of the IRA".

Yes,really,he said that.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-fein-man-says-lyras-murder-besmirches-name-of-ira-38062835.html

They will always try to take the moral high-ground but we know what they really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:17 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

I am also curious why it seems as if the Celtic goons sign more of the IRA and bashing the crown/queen, and the Ranger goons sign more about killing Catholics. Any ideas as to why?

`
Because Rangers fans = protestant/Unionist while Celtic fans = Catholic, the fan bases of the two teams have always been split on a mostly sectarian basis.

Same with the two (smaller) teams from Edinburgh, Heart of Midlothian fans =protestant/unionist while Hibernian fans =Catholic

Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Here we did not have the level of atrocities as across the Irish Sea and only occasional much lower situations. To me Scottish Nationalism is a farce and does show how people can be brained into some groaning acceptances. Kilts as national dress and the same level for bagpipes is head-shaking. No problem people having them but the Lowlands have been done in just being grey cell conned. The emotional side of nationalism has done a propaganda success whilst ignoring the failings of being non-Unionist. I routinely wear a wee round Union Flag badge pinned on my lapel and soon getting a neat not large nameplate for my abode next the front door and will say "Boyne" - oh and a flagpole is going up in my front garden! Unionist and proud of it!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Because Rangers fans = protestant/Unionist while Celtic fans = Catholic, the fan bases of the two teams have always been split on a mostly sectarian basis.

Same with the two (smaller) teams from Edinburgh, Heart of Midlothian fans =protestant/unionist while Hibernian fans =Catholic
Actually what I was getting at is how the Catholic songs, while certainly sectarian, seem more anti-British/monarchy, while the Protestant songs seems more violent toward killing Catholics/"taigs".
While songs singing the praises of the IRA presumably involves glorification of violence/death toward British rule, it is not as explicit, if you will.
Keep in mind I am far from an expert of these sectarian songs, as I have trouble understand some of the lyrics of them, mainly because of the heavy accents on either side.

`

Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post

Maybe this gives some idea of what its about. The Rangers flags are at each side'
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-british-soldiers-iraq.jpg  

Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 PM

You simply say Vector1 that the Rangers songs are automatically about killing Catholics. I try to make allowances for your foreign lack of knowledge and may I also inform that the old fashioned word "tagues" from well before even the 19th century is NOT a standard word in equally standard songs. As a boy in Glasgow i grew up knowing songs but never with the tague word (which I knew came from historical Ireland). The other side has long been anti-monarch due may I also remind you is a Protestant Royal Family hence the stuff from the other lot. When it comes to old religious idiocy that subject is part of American history from extremists on both sides so you don't have to go far for historical confrontations.

Meanwhile excellent picture there Ulsterman and remember when those soldiers did that!

Old 05-04-2019, 01:50 AM

Well it would appear there is going to be little change (surprise, surprise) in NI with both the DUP & SF likely being the top dogs this election.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/north...lster-1612323/

`

Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You simply say Vector1 that the Rangers songs are automatically about killing Catholics. I try to make allowances for your foreign lack of knowledge and may I also inform that the old fashioned word "tagues" from well before even the 19th century is NOT a standard word in equally standard songs. As a boy in Glasgow i grew up knowing songs but never with the tague word (which I knew came from historical Ireland). The other side has long been anti-monarch due may I also remind you is a Protestant Royal Family hence the stuff from the other lot. When it comes to old religious idiocy that subject is part of American history from extremists on both sides so you don't have to go far for historical confrontations.

Meanwhile excellent picture there Ulsterman and remember when those soldiers did that!

Yes the soldiers from Ulster fought alongside the American soldiers in some cases. A couple of pictures. One is of Aidy and Wilkie in the poppy fields Helmand May 2008. The other of course is a bannerette when our boys were in Basra.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-aidy-wilkie-poppy-fields-helmand-may   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-basra-7.jpg  

Old 05-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Spot on there! I am sure that there is something pressing my mind that there was once either pictures or brief marching at a base in Afghanistan for the 12th!

on Saturday I went to the main George Square Glasgow with the Unionist group Force For Change to heckle the SNP lot marching through the city like a bunch of head-cases the way they acted! We had union Flags of course. Shorlty there is to be a counter march organised by Unionists here. On the way home later I noticed a man and women walking on busy Argyle street shopping area. He was wearing a Rangers top so stopped the for a chat and they were from Ulster so a pleasing end to my afternoon!!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You simply say Vector1 that the Rangers songs are automatically about killing Catholics.
So are you trying to say some of the sectarian songs sung by Ranger fans are not about killing Catholics?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom