Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I would vote unionist depending on whatever party I deem is doing enough. I guess some people would vote DUP because they don't want to split the vote. People have their own reasons for voting as they do. Same as in America or anywhere else.
That seems reasoned.
However it does not explain why they went from the UUP which dominated the DUP, just as the SDLP once dominated SF.

You and others have pontificated as to why Nationalists have voted SF and derided them for it because of the connection to the IRA.
Yet no one has expounded upon why the majority of the Unionist community went from the more moderate UUP (which helped bring about the Good Friday Agreement), to making the anti-GFA party of the DUP the most powerful party in NI

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
There's also the small 'Traditional Unionist Voice' party in NI, I've no idea where they get their votes from, maybe disillusioned former UUP voters who don't like the DUP for some reason?

As far as I know the UUP was always seem as a very 'establishment' party with lots of British military and NI police (RUC) connections while the DUP tapped into the votes of protestants who didn't necessarily see the establishment as representing them or their interests as well as getting votes from the more fundamentalist versions of protestant religious sects.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
There's also the small 'Traditional Unionist Voice' party in NI, I've no idea where they get their votes from, maybe disillusioned former UUP voters who don't like the DUP for some reason?

As far as I know the UUP was always seem as a very 'establishment' party with lots of British military and NI police (RUC) connections while the DUP tapped into the votes of protestants who didn't necessarily see the establishment as representing them or their interests as well as getting votes from the more fundamentalist versions of protestant religious sects.
Wow that is an interesting perspective, as it almost mirrors how some feel here across the pond regarding establishment Republicans, vs. insurgents like Donald Trump who is very unconventional.

`

Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post

TUV ( Jim alister) make the DUP look like screaming liberals, they are fringe in terms of outlook, " not an inch"

Old 08-15-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
TUV ( Jim alister) make the DUP look like screaming liberals, they are fringe in terms of outlook, " not an inch"
One of the things some of our fellow posters have been reluctant to list are the reasons they would oppose being part of the RoI. Naturally they could say culture and tradition, but when asked to give specific reasons, we are not given much.

I suspect some of the reasons of old such as fear of a government under the control of the Catholic church, would have been one related to social issues like abortion, homosexuality, birth control, etc.
Yet now with abortion less restricted, a open homosexual at the head of government, and birth control being a quaint notion of the past, many of those fears can no longer be used.

`

Old 08-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
One of the things some of our fellow posters have been reluctant to list are the reasons they would oppose being part of the RoI. Naturally they could say culture and tradition, but when asked to give specific reasons, we are not given much.

I suspect some of the reasons of old such as fear of a government under the control of the Catholic church, would have been one related to social issues like abortion, homosexuality, birth control, etc.
Yet now with abortion less restricted, a open homosexual at the head of government, and birth control being a quaint notion of the past, many of those fears can no longer be used.

`
The Republic of Ireland in 2019 is avidly anti Catholic

Ulster unionists still want little to do with the place

Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:

Maybe a bit like the Scots some of whom don't want to be linked with its neighbour to the south of them.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Maybe a bit like the Scots some of whom don't want to be linked with its neighbour to the south of them.
Well the Catholic Church as an institution has near zero influence over this society anymore, we've gone full on Liberal

Place is a cold house for social Conservatives

Old 08-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Well what do you think are the main reasons then, since our Ulster brethren in this thread seem reluctant to specify why?

`

Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well what do you think are the main reasons then, since our Ulster brethren in this thread seem reluctant to specify why?

`
I think the cornerstone of ulster unionist identity is staunch opposition to all things Irish, it defines itself through distrust of it's neighbours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom