Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Always perceived the alliance party to be pro union but with a focus on cross community vote getting, a socially Liberal party who most likely appeal to the middle class, would imagine they can grow in former SDLP strongholds along with UUP traditional areas?

That about sums them up as they once were. I'm not sure about their stance today. Yes, they would most likely appeal to the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Always perceived the alliance party to be pro union but with a focus on cross community vote getting, a socially Liberal party who most likely appeal to the middle class, would imagine they can grow in former SDLP strongholds along with UUP traditional areas?
I cannot speak intelligently regarding Alliance not being familiar with their platform and the type of person who would gravitate toward them.

Since Roscoe pointed out them making some inroads politically I have started to research them a bit more. That video I watched gave me a flavor of how they look at things.
They are certainly not part of a Brexit coalition, and as you point out seem social liberal. That alone makes me think they might have some inroads to the Nationalist community.
As to the traditional UUP areas, that is an interesting question.

`

Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,570 times
Apart from dodgy sources for the SF/IRA income may I also remind you Vector1 aid came from your part democracy. They are hard liners and act so.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
That about sums them up as they once were. I'm not sure about their stance today. Yes, they would most likely appeal to the middle class.
While you do not need to divulge who you vote for, I'd have to guess it is the DUP. If that is the case and you want to let us know fine.
Either way, can you give us your opinion as to why the majority of Unionists/Loyalists vote DUP instead of the more moderate UUP?

`

Old 08-14-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Apart from dodgy sources for the SF/IRA income may I also remind you Vector1 aid came from your part democracy. They are hard liners and act so.
I guess I did not realize what you were driving at when you pointed out how SF makes more than double the DUP.
Do you really think that amount of extra money (assuming those figures are accurate) comes from outside sources?
If so from where, as it could be those in the RoI who want to see a continued push for a untied Ireland. Heck it could also be coming from former colonies like Canada and Australia where some anti-British sentiment runs strong.

`

Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,419 times
That is problematic in itself I think. Would foreign funding of electoral campaigns be tolerated in those other countries you mentioned? There has been quite a fuss about alleged Russian funding of campaigns in the US recently and if proven that would be illegal.

Would the US accept that funding from a Mexican nationalist group demanding a return to the borders before the 1848 annexation of Northern Mexico was a legitimate source of campaign funds?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While you do not need to divulge who you vote for, I'd have to guess it is the DUP. If that is the case and you want to let us know fine.
Either way, can you give us your opinion as to why the majority of Unionists/Loyalists vote DUP instead of the more moderate UUP?

`

I would vote unionist depending on whatever party I deem is doing enough. I guess some people would vote DUP because they don't want to split the vote. People have their own reasons for voting as they do. Same as in America or anywhere else.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
That is problematic in itself I think. Would foreign funding of electoral campaigns be tolerated in those other countries you mentioned? There has been quite a fuss about alleged Russian funding of campaigns in the US recently and if proven that would be illegal.

Would the US accept that funding from a Mexican nationalist group demanding a return to the borders before the 1848 annexation of Northern Mexico was a legitimate source of campaign funds?
I cannot speak for the election laws regarding funding of political organizations in other countries, legality wise.
However it seems to go on all the time, either directly or indirectly. The Clinton Foundation was likely involved via massive speaking fees and donations while Hillary was SoS, and later running for potus.
Isn't it strange that now that the Clinton's are no longer political powerhouses, they are not able to get even a fraction of speaking fees or donations?

Regardless, I am not sure RJ is saying that in a conventional way.
Sinn Fein undoubtedly received monies from Americans and abroad based on a desire to promote a untied Ireland.
The same is true of groups like Noriad which were suspected and subsequently forced to divulge their contributions to the IRA. So instead they shifted their monies toward the political wing, that being SF.

Then you also have to ask why groups like the DUP or others are not collecting donations in a similar fashion.

`

Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 PM

RJ Thought this might be of interest

The Gin Express | Downpatrick & County Down Railway

Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,570 times
I would say Vector1 that noting the income of the SF/IRAmob is important and although it exists in the Republic of Ireland it is not a party that will be capable or voted in to run the place. Weird tht uoi should wander away over to places like New Zealand and Australia whilst not being aware of the interest in the US of A where the Sinn Fein have had great support from Irish tradition people. Also the Sinn Fein leaders visited America too due to the support and does not take much to figure out that donations easier from there than the far east. Oh and before I forget thgere is not some mass programme in the South for a united Ireland as the bulk of people there are wise enough to know what that would cause. Even as I ALSO pointed out the Irish Prime Minister spoke strongly on not pursuing that.

Hi there Ulsterman. Knew about that wee preserved project at Downpatrick and have visited the site. Was originally part of the long gone Newcastle Line. Reminds me (think may have mentioned it) that decades ago I stayed with a Belfast girlfriend's family for a summer holiday at the BJ a camp and carvan centre about a mile north of Newcastle. I was taken on being a railway fan that the old station in the coastal town had still been intact with platforms,station signs, stationmaster office, etc all there!. Building still exists although the rail extensions I recall of course long gone. Ulster is the worst of the 4 home countries to get rail massacred. My only annoyance on Ulster but that was because the long gone UTA set up was full of bus people! We have had 4 lines re-opened in Scotland now the 5th being brought back at Leven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom