Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 05:03 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Then the person who has just served me a nice late breakfast of sausages,rashers,Clonakilty black pudding,eggs and two rounds of Brennan's toasted with a nice mug of Barry's tea must be a figment of my imagination.
She's real and here in Ireland, something which your pal Walter O'Mitty in the States hasn't been for a very long time.
What's wrong with her then that she allows you to denigrate Irish people the way you do? Even more baffling why would you marry someone of a nationality that you have such low opinion of? Just odd psychology going on there.

Where's the respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 10:41 PM

16,599 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Only one side of history taught? Strange idea. Well America is a typical example of that!
Actually, to be perfectly honest, what I learned in history classes does tell a one sided story of how we Americans, with our "manifest destiny", were entitled to take the land from the red man.

Then as I grew older and was able to read various other perspectives, I began to realize not all of what I had learned ( from the victors perspective ) was the whole story.
Sure I read (and saw in picture shows) how the red men were savages, and thus we justified what happened to secure the contiguous land grab from one sea to another.
A united land mass in America (or Ireland for that matter) is fraught with many perspectives from various points of view.

All that said, you have tried to draw me into various American history vs. British/Irish history comparative analogies for some time now. I have generally avoided doing so since the two histories (including you Brits in American history) were disparate enough.
Still I wonder if you believe that the Irish were akin to the American Indians in some fashion.
If so, you face at least one dichotomy and a general conundrum with comparing the two.

But feel free to enlighten us as to your thought process regarding the aforementioned.

`

Old 03-08-2020, 12:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You sound like a broken record. I think we are mostly all old enough to understand that phrase.

I presume you do not vote in American elections, yet you have started USA Politic threads.

In any case, I only come to this thread as some of the bigotry shown here is mind numbing.
I have an opinion on US politics because as well as being a US taxpayer I had a home there for 20 years until recently and spent quite a bit of time living there.
Our Plastic Paddy friend is basing his knowledge of Ireland and his frequently dismissive posts of the people who actually live here on a tourist visit so long ago that he's too embarrassed to actually tell us when.
But unlike America Ireland is a hugely fractured country still recovering from a 30-year terrorist campaign that claimed thousands of lives.
What it really doesn't need is another loud-mouthed Yank spouting off on something he knows nothing about because we get plenty enough of those who come here every year.
The Irish roll out the diddley-eye guff for them and pour them a pint with a shamrock on the head.
But when they've taken their dollars and sold them a few Arran sweaters and the tourist season is over until the next year everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
What's wrong with her then that she allows you to denigrate Irish people the way you do? Even more baffling why would you marry someone of a nationality that you have such low opinion of? Just odd psychology going on there.

Where's the respect?
Are you married ?

Old 03-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Couldn't upload the video but here's a pic i took of Kate middleton

Attachment 218536
I know one Irish woman who "loves the royals", but said much of her family in NI hates them. They are apparently viewed as descendants of the butchers who sent the likes of Cromwell by some.

So out of curiosity, what is the general RoI's populace thoughts in your view on the royals now days?
Heck if Adams and McGuinness met with them, that should be a sign for others to follow suit.

`

Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder if anyone’s come across this study and others like it: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46129039

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hello, and welcome to the discussion.

I will read that later tonight with some Jim Beam and let you know.
Thanks for posting it, as it was an interesting perspective.

That said, I have enough trouble figuring out all the dynamics of Americas economy, much less that of the RoI & NI, if things remain the same vs. if they unify.
So that German economist certainly would know more than I how Brexit might mean less financial benefit to NI if they were to remain part of the UK vs. unification with Ireland, and by extension the EU.

Who knows, if true and/or enough people in NI believe it, that could be a deciding factor in an upcoming vote.

`

Old 03-08-2020, 10:35 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
^

Thanks for posting it, as it was an interesting perspective.

That said, I have enough trouble figuring out all the dynamics of Americas economy, much less that of the RoI & NI, if things remain the same vs. if they unify.
So that German economist certainly would know more than I how Brexit might mean less financial benefit to NI if they were to remain part of the UK vs. unification with Ireland, and by extension the EU.

Who knows, if true and/or enough people in NI believe it, that could be a deciding factor in an upcoming vote.

`
Well, it’s certainly a factor and it’s not unreasonable to think two polities that geographically tied with a shared language would benefit from a bit of streamlining and standardization. That being said, there was also quite a bit of studies going about suggesting Brexit was an economically poor choice, but that certainly didn’t stop voters for voting for such.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:35 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
I know one Irish woman who "loves the royals", but said much of her family in NI hates them. They are apparently viewed as descendants of the butchers who sent the likes of Cromwell by some.

So out of curiosity, what is the general RoI's populace thoughts in your view on the royals now days?
Heck if Adams and McGuinness met with them, that should be a sign for others to follow suit.

`
I have no strong feelings either way for the British Royal family, i just got a laugh out of the fact that I more or less stumbled across them greeting people last week, i made no effort to catch them but had an engagement in Galway which was arranged months ago and it just happened to fall on the same day as the visit

Old 03-09-2020, 12:55 PM

All St Patrick's Day parades cancelled in Ireland.
That'll have a few Plastic Paddies crying into their green Guinness.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
All St Patrick's Day parades cancelled in Ireland.
That'll have a few Plastic Paddies crying into their green Guinness.
im into my stock portfolio today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom