Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I don't know how you could blame it on him, anyway, for my quick scan of the thread indicates that you were the first of the tireless twosome to refer to it as the Irish Times.

For what it's worth, the Irish Times is arguably the Republic's paper of record. The Irish News is a fairly obscure Belfast-based paper. To mix up the two isn't unlike mistaking the Washington Times for the Washington Post. Having Irish/Washington in the names of their respective papers is about where the similarities end.

Anyway, as I did hundreds of pages earlier in this thread, I'd encourage you all to focus on other things.
" paper of record " ?
Only if you think The Guardian is the UK's paper of record and the New York Times likewise for America.
All three are hopelessly biased, devoid of alternative critical thinking and each, in their own way, laughingly Anglophobic.
It's no surprise the three share each other's material as no-one else would print such rubbish.
The only thing the Irish Times records is its dwindling reputation.
No-one takes it seriously except RTE, another uncritical government mouthpiece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 05:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
" paper of record " ?
Only if you think The Guardian is the UK's paper of record and the New York Times likewise for America.
All three are hopelessly biased, devoid of alternative critical thinking and each, in their own way, laughingly Anglophobic.
It's no surprise the three share each other's material as no-one else would print such rubbish.
The only thing the Irish Times records is its dwindling reputation.
No-one takes it seriously except RTE, another uncritical government mouthpiece.
You must live in a different Ireland than the one that I called home a long time ago.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:14 PM

465 posts, read 607,854 times
Quote:
Even the dogs in the street know Adams was compromised years ago.
It wasn't just his brother who was a paedophile.
Vector is right. That is libel. Roscoe - Mr. Adams wasn’t spending quality time with Mr. Epstein, but one of your good princes was....

Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
You must live in a different Ireland than the one that I called home a long time ago.
A long time ago indeed.
Barely anyone reads the Irish Times and the idea it is still a paper of record is a joke.
They sold their reputation cheaply years ago

Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Vector is right. That is libel. Roscoe - Mr. Adams wasn’t spending quality time with Mr. Epstein, but one of your good princes was....
I didn't say Gerry was a paedo.
Just that his brother wasn't the only one, even in his own family.
And child and sexual abuse was rife in the ranks of the IRA and it was covered up by those at the very top.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
I didn't say Gerry was a paedo.
Just that his brother wasn't the only one, even in his own family.
And child and sexual abuse was rife in the ranks of the IRA and it was covered up by those at the very top.
You certainly implied the possibility.

Aside from your disdain for Adams (and unwillingness to answer my question about him), some of our Protestant discussion members seem to lay pedophilia at the doorstep of Catholics. Yet I suspect just as many Protestants and even other religions have pedophiles within their families.
I remember reading about a Rabbi in NY who had multiple accusations come out against him. His own children defended him as never having touched them, but who knows.

The point is that I do not believe there is anything in the Catholic religion that would make them inherently more inclined to sexually abuse children.
The sad part is that if enough of the Orange tribe has this bigoted view, it just makes it that much harder for either side to get along with each other.

`

Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM

252 posts, read 89,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You certainly implied the possibility.

Aside from your disdain for Adams (and unwillingness to answer my question about him), some of our Protestant discussion members seem to lay pedophilia at the doorstep of Catholics. Yet I suspect just as many Protestants and even other religions have pedophiles within their families.
I remember reading about a Rabbi in NY who had multiple accusations come out against him. His own children defended him as never having touched them, but who knows.

The point is that I do not believe there is anything in the Catholic religion that would make them inherently more inclined to sexually abuse children.
The sad part is that if enough of the Orange tribe has this bigoted view, it just makes it that much harder for either side to get along with each other.

`
Boy you don't half love those words bigot or bigoted. When you point the finger remember there are three pointing back at yourself.

Wasn't it your beloved country which uncovered the rape of children by RC priests. Boston was it ?

Old 08-11-2020, 01:14 PM

464 posts, read 202,883 times
Quote:
You lived there a long time ago, wouldn't a person who lives there NOW have a better understanding?

Old 08-11-2020, 02:54 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullish Rab View Post
Boy you don't half love those words bigot or bigoted. When you point the finger remember there are three pointing back at yourself.

Wasn't it your beloved country which uncovered the rape of children by RC priests. Boston was it ?
I am open to another term if you can give us one that uses sweeping generalizations that stigmatizes entire swaths of people, based on their religion.

Also, try empathizing, and let us if it would be harder or easier for Protestants to get long with Catholics, if they believed all Protestants were something vile.

For NI to work as society within the framework of the GFA, you all need to build trust and respect each other.

`

Old 08-11-2020, 03:21 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
You lived there a long time ago, wouldn't a person who lives there NOW have a better understanding?
One would like to think so. However, in this thread, I have found Mr Conklins posts to be disdainful of the Native Irish, so I tend to take his posts with a grain of salt. However, this is only my opinion, & I will not argue or elaborate on my subjective opinion. The thread has enough of that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom