Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 11:50 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullish Rab View Post
Its was a bit different for those who were at the sharp end. But if you see it as entertainment so be it.
oh i dont doubt it the subject matter is important, the petty squabbling and innuendo that has gone on in this "discussion" however has been funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Its was a bit different for those who were at the sharp end. But if you see it as entertainment so be it.
I suspect he was not denigrating what you and others in the trenches have experienced, and instead felt the plastic paddy type of comments were entertaining.
Roscoe can be a goofball, so I get a kick out of him at times also.

That said, do you still feel as if you and your fellow Unionists are able to live somewhat normal lives (outside of missing the marching season this year), like the rest of western society does?

I have also been meaning to ask you what you thought of the inclusive notion of Eire Nua, which tried to take the Unionists feelings into account, should there be a united Ireland?

`

Old 08-22-2020, 09:19 AM

252 posts, read 89,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I suspect he was not denigrating what you and others in the trenches have experienced, and instead felt the plastic paddy type of comments were entertaining.
Roscoe can be a goofball, so I get a kick out of him at times also.

That said, do you still feel as if you and your fellow Unionists are able to live somewhat normal lives (outside of missing the marching season this year), like the rest of western society does?

I have also been meaning to ask you what you thought of the inclusive notion of Eire Nua, which tried to take the Unionists feelings into account, should there be a united Ireland?

`
A lot of people here see Ulster as a separate country going back centuries and fighting against the 'hordes from the south ' Maybe akin to the differences between England and Scotland. Those who oppose this are seen as traitors by some folk.

Yes we are more or less living ok . There are some on the opposite side (new ira etc) who wish to keep 'the pot boiling' but they are a small minority

I think the first paragraph answers your query. As I have said many many times on here we don't make any claim on the ROI and never have . We are not aggressors ...we have always been defenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ulster-nation-shankill-rd-pic.jpg  

Old 08-22-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
A lot of people here see Ulster as a separate country going back centuries and fighting against the 'hordes from the south ' Maybe akin to the differences between England and Scotland. Those who oppose this are seen as traitors by some folk.
Make no mistake, I fully understand your desire and that of the Unionists, not to mention the Loyalists.

That said, if the time does come where a referendum is called (inevitable under the GFA at some point), and the vote is to make NI & RoI one nation, what provisions would be most important to you to maintain what you feel are key aspects of your culture?

For example, Eire Nua was what some in the south thought might be enough to appease the Unionists, and to bring them (willingly into a united Ireland). Though it was doomed to failure for a variety of reasons on both sides, they at least understood that trying to force Unionists into a Nationalist dominated culture (without taking their views and wishes into account) would not work.

`

Old 08-23-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Yes we are more or less living ok . There are some on the opposite side (new ira etc) who wish to keep 'the pot boiling' but they are a small minority

I think the first paragraph answers your query. As I have said many many times on here we don't make any claim on the ROI and never have . We are not aggressors ...we have always been defenders.
I wanted to separate this out for it's own response.

As you correctly point out the splinter dissident groups have virtually no public support, and likely damaged what little they did have, with the reporter getting killed by wild bullets being shot. Most people could envision that could be their daughter, being accidentally killed by indiscriminate shooting.
So unlike the days of the past, never knowing when a bomb may go off, or assassinations might occur, it must be much more normal for you'll.
Thank goodness of all those like Hume & Trimble who helped bring about the GFA.

On a side note, I am very curious how you view John Hume?

Regarding the RoI and Unionists never claiming it, that is like Americans touting how we do not have our sights set on Canada, and never have.
Sure your ancestors were planted in Ulster at the expense of the displaced Irish, and that is not your fault.
Yet there are Irish families that know X parcel of land was taken from their ancestors, and might very well still be owned by descendants of the original land grabbers.
Those type of things are strong in Irish lore, and help to stoke the resentment and hate toward the English/Scots/Brits.
But it should not be placed upon modern day descendants.

Personally I am not one of these people who believe the sins of the parents should be cast upon the kids. That is especially true of the long distant people who attained the land by whatever means. So, even though many people around the world might empathize with what historically has happened to the Irish at the hands of the English/British, they do not believe that land should just be given back.
Instead fair-minded people (not the zealots) know those Brits/Scots who were born and live in NI must have their rights be protected as well.

With the framework of the GFA, the only major lingering question will be whether the Irish Nationalists goals will be achieved through the democratic process. If so, presumably most Unionists will accept it (since they signed on as well).
But the bigger question is whether the Loyalists will go along with it, or will there be a Troubles Redux.

`

Old 08-24-2020, 10:26 AM

You talk of the Plantation of Ulster but around the same time the plantation in America was taking place.

The Irish and others were invaders when they came to the island. There were people already living here and Mount Sandel has shown this. All this waffle about the Irish and the island being rightfully theirs is a nonsense

Did the Irish not make a bid to attack Canada ?

At one time England laid claim to Scotland and battles were fought. It seems the same situation exists between Ulster and Ireland. Ireland in the English role and Ulster the Scottish role. Again we don’t make any claims on the ROI it is the Irish that keep seeking to drive us into the sea.

As for Hume I haven’t really any strong opinion about him one way or the other. He did his best to stop the riots coming from the Bogside which lit the fuse of all which was to follow.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:46 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
whats the story with schools in northern ireland , are they reopening next week or whenever UK schools usually reopen after the summer ?

our government down here ( under the new taoiseach ) stumble from one crisis to the next so nobody knows for sure what is going to happen

personally im in favour of just returning to normal regarding school , if the virus is going to be around for a few years , we cant stay in the bunker forever

Old 08-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Its the same here they don't know whether they are coming or going. One school says they all have to wear masks but others don't make it compulsory.

I think its September that they are now saying schools will open but that could change again.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:51 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Its the same here they don't know whether they are coming or going. One school says they all have to wear masks but others don't make it compulsory.

I think its September that they are now saying schools will open but that could change again.
My young lad went back this morning, talk of individual "pods" and such

How the teachers can force school kids to distance, i do not know?

Old 08-27-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
My young lad went back this morning, talk of individual "pods" and such

How the teachers can force school kids to distance, i do not know?
Seems it's a 'dolly mixtures ' state of affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom