Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 12:58 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
For someone who wants us to think that he ",knows" Americans, this is just weird. Many Americans will name a child after someone who they think highly of. It's why there's so many George Washington __________, Thomas Jefferson _________ names, even to this day. I said nothing about why or how you picked the name. Ma and Pa Arbuckle apparently thought highly of Roscoe Conkling, the politician.

Old bean is a way to address a male, too. What's the matter, you don't have a snarky comeback for females?
Nope, you're still lecturing the locals on what they should think.
And as this discussion has nothing to do with the re-unification of Ireland or even the country of Ireland itself it appears to me you're simply attention-seeking like a child.
What I always do in these circumstances is ignore the child until they go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:21 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Nope, you're still lecturing the locals on what they should think.
And as this discussion has nothing to do with the re-unification of Ireland or even the country of Ireland itself it appears to me you're simply attention-seeking like a child.
What I always do in these circumstances is ignore the child until they go away.
Wow, as caustic and incompatible as ever. She is entitled to her view, just like anyone else in our discussion.

Frankly, you seem so entrenched in your view, I almost spewed out my bourbon when I read you agreed with 80sHorrorJunkie on the reunification of Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post

BTW, I wholeheartedly support Brexit AND Irish/Scottish Independence and Ireland Reunification because I believe in National Sovereignty. It WILL take time but I support it nonetheless. The Guardian, BBC, etc is nothing but a bunch of BS globalist agenda pushing excrement just like CNN. They are propaganda for Davos Elites.
^

Quote:
I agree with all of this.
The only thing I was sure of in your comment was the Brexit part. Well that, and how you feel about the media over there.
So while you deride the IT, BBC, Guardian, etc., you never seem to let us know which news source/s you feel are accurate when it comes to NI, RoI and UK.

`

Old 08-18-2020, 03:37 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, as caustic and incompatible as ever. She is entitled to her view, just like anyone else in our discussion.

Frankly, you seem so entrenched in your view, I almost spewed out my bourbon when I read you agreed with 80sHorrorJunkie on the reunification of Ireland.

^

The only thing I was sure of in your comment was the Brexit part. Well that, and how you feel about the media over there.
So while you deride the IT, BBC, Guardian, etc., you never seem to let us know which news source/s you feel are accurate when it comes to NI, RoI and UK.

`
Tbh, I'm going to include you in the attention-seeking category that's best avoided.
This thread has simply become a vanity project and very little to do with the idea of Irish reunification
It's run its course.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 AM

2,403 posts, read 1,574,072 times
Quote:
This thread has simply become a vanity project and very little to do with the idea of Irish reunification
It's run its course.
that happened months ago, i read it for entertainment value only

Old 08-19-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Roscoe has always had that view, and has done his darndest to ignore reality. Even before Brexit, there was increased talk and movement toward a referendum on a united Ireland. It was in large part because Unionists agreed to the GFA, and within it was a legal mechanism to have NI determine their future.
Obviously the IRA and other Nationalists/Republicans would not have signed on to anything that just gave up the right to end British rule NI.

Since the demographics changing in NI have a significant bearing on whether Unionists would remain in the majority, that alone spelled a likely unified Ireland in the future.
Roscoe of course derided such a notion and went by polls, which he normally thinks are unreliable, because it fit his agenda.

Regardless, once Brexit occurred, that was the catalyst for the current atmosphere since many in NI wanted to remain as part of the EU. Yet he and others still stuck to an intractable position.
Any polls/studies/articles (indicating a desire for a united Ireland was growing) were dismissed based on the source, rather than the research behind it.

He also use to post with glee whenever Sinn Fein did poorly in the south, and said they would never get any traction there.
Yet when they got more votes than any other party this last time around, he was totally dismissive, saying that the Irish people must not have known of SF previous connection to the IRA.

He and others pro-unionists are certainly entitled to their opinions, but he has been wrong on almost every prediction.
There is little doubt in any fair minded peoples mind, that NI is closer to becoming reunited with Ireland today, than when we started this discussion.

`

Old 08-19-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I thought that John Hume was a huge improvement from Margaret Thatcher.
I think you accidentally mixed up John Major (former UK PM) with John Hume, the former leader of the SDLP.

Here is a nice article in the IT, and short video on him;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...land-1.4320550

`

Old 08-20-2020, 08:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
I think you accidentally mixed up John Major (former UK PM) with John Hume, the former leader of the SDLP.

Here is a nice article in the IT, and short video on him;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...land-1.4320550

`
You're absolutely correct, I did.

I'm glad that the people involved were recognized in their lifetimes. Recognition so often happens post mortum.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely correct, I did.

I'm glad that the people involved were recognized in their lifetimes. Recognition so often happens post mortum.
That is very true. When the president of the United States says you are the Irish equivalent of MLK, that is pretty high praise.
He and David Trimble of the UUP also both received the Nobel Peace Prize, and Hume also collected the Martin Luther King Award and Gandhi Peace Prize.
Hume is the only person to have won all three.

John Hume also had foresight in talking with Gerry Adams and SF, to help bring about the GFA, which made all the difference.

I am just surprised there is not more commentary of his accomplishments in this discussion, especially since his recent passing.

`

Old 08-20-2020, 10:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
That is very true. When the president of the United States says you are the Irish equivalent of MLK, that is pretty high praise.
He and David Trimble of the UUP also both received the Nobel Peace Prize, and Hume also collected the Martin Luther King Award and Gandhi Peace Prize.
Hume is the only person to have won all three.

John Hume also had foresight in talking with Gerry Adams and SF, to help bring about the GFA, which made all the difference.

I am just surprised there is not more commentary of his accomplishments in this discussion, especially since his recent passing.

`
I'm not surprised. Most people were just relieved to end the near constant killing and moved on to other things. I suspect that there would be more reaction from people living in Northern Ireland, but maybe they just moved on as well.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:13 AM

252 posts, read 89,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Its was a bit different for those who were at the sharp end. But if you see it as entertainment so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom