Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 04:13 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Special Report: Ireland's defence shortcomings a clear and present danger to global stability

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/s...-40167711.html

Ireland should join NATO
Some of your ideas make total sense, and I see no reason why Ireland does not join NATO at this stage.

As many are aware, they were not going to be part of any organization that supported and/or was funded by "the crown".
Heck as Ulsterman (aka Ullish Rab) could attest to, the Irish cozied up to the Nazi's because of their disdain for the English/British.

It is another example, of the old adage, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Those days are hopefully gone at this point in history.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 01:59 PM

This was an interesting and entertaining article in the BBC, "The A-Z of Northern Ireland" this year. Several will amuse Ulsterman, such as the U for U2;

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55335772

Happy New Year across the pond and to everyone around the world who is part of this discussion.

I will be having a distinctly American beverage (aside from the obligatory champagne toast at midnight), that being Bourbon.
However I do have both Jameson and Bushmills in the bar, so I will have a shot of both as a toast, just to be fair to the Nationalists and the Unionists.

`

Old 01-29-2021, 09:35 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
It would appear, that perhaps the DUP is now Irish reunification’s secret weapon;

https://www.ft.com/content/b596905e-...6-181e2432e4ee

"Nationalism has a secret weapon: the Democratic Unionist party.
The strategic judgments of the province’s largest party have been among the most consistently witless in recent politics. One Tory MP fumes: “The DUP have done more damage to the Union than the IRA, Sinn Féin and all the nationalist forces combined.”

Consider its record. The DUP backed Brexit but opposed every manifestation of it. There was no deal (including no-deal) that it would support. It shot down Theresa May’s withdrawal plan, which maintained the integrity of the union, allying with Boris Johnson — only to see him sign up to a regulatory border in the Irish Sea.*In recent days, it has bellowed betrayal over the new customs burdens, demanding the suspension of the protocol governing these arrangements."

And, just as an aside (If I may be allowed), is anyone else following Ivor Cummins' courageous fight against certain aspects of the smothering blanket of darkness being thrown over the Free World? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPn...15nudug9FDhluA He's certainly given me (a complete outsider) new insight into the potential value, to Western Civilization, of the Irish Mind. Would Irish Reunification help or hinder valuable contrarians like Ivor?

Old 01-30-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It would appear, that perhaps the DUP is now Irish reunification’s secret weapon;

https://www.ft.com/content/b596905e-...6-181e2432e4ee

"Nationalism has a secret weapon: the Democratic Unionist party.
The strategic judgments of the province’s largest party have been among the most consistently witless in recent politics. One Tory MP fumes: “The DUP have done more damage to the Union than the IRA, Sinn Féin and all the nationalist forces combined.”

Consider its record. The DUP backed Brexit but opposed every manifestation of it. There was no deal (including no-deal) that it would support. It shot down Theresa May’s withdrawal plan, which maintained the integrity of the union, allying with Boris Johnson — only to see him sign up to a regulatory border in the Irish Sea.*In recent days, it has bellowed betrayal over the new customs burdens, demanding the suspension of the protocol governing these arrangements."

And, just as an aside (If I may be allowed), is anyone else following Ivor Cummins' courageous fight against certain aspects of the smothering blanket of darkness being thrown over the Free World? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPn...15nudug9FDhluA He's certainly given me (a complete outsider) new insight into the potential value, to Western Civilization, of the Irish Mind. Would Irish Reunification help or hinder valuable contrarians like Ivor?
There is little doubt that Brexit has helped further the reunification of NI with Ireland in most peoples minds. The only ones that are convinced it will never happen have their heads buried in the sand like an ostrich.

The DUP and hardcore Loyalists have been using their influence mostly in their own self interests, and assumed the UK mainlanders would be beholden to them when they wanted to cash in their chips.
Trouble is that they have unwittingly set the stage for exactly what that article points out.

In regard to Ivor Cummings, I must plead ignorance, as I know nothing about him. But I will watch the video this weekend and make a comment.

`

Old 01-30-2021, 11:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There is little doubt that Brexit has helped further the reunification of NI with Ireland in most peoples minds. The only ones that are convinced it will never happen have their heads buried in the sand like an ostrich.

The DUP and hardcore Loyalists have been using their influence mostly in their own self interests, and assumed the UK mainlanders would be beholden to them when they wanted to cash in their chips.
Trouble is that they have unwittingly set the stage for exactly what that article points out.

In regard to Ivor Cummings, I must plead ignorance, as I know nothing about him. But I will watch the video this weekend and make a comment.

`
There is no doubt that the monumental c*ck up by Brussels yesterday will do nothing to help this 'cause' for a united island of Ireland! (Which would only be dis-united anyway) :-D

It ain't happening until the population living there want it to.

Same for Gibraltar

Same for Falklands

History shows you cannot 'bully' Britain into things, in fact trying to bully the UK will only make it dig it's heels in further.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no doubt that the monumental c*ck up by Brussels yesterday will do nothing to help this 'cause' for a united island of Ireland! (Which would only be dis-united anyway) :-D

It ain't happening until the population living there want it to.

Same for Gibraltar

Same for Falklands

History shows you cannot 'bully' Britain into things, in fact trying to bully the UK will only make it dig it's heels in further.
I agree that in the short run, unification will be fraught with distrust and disunity, especially among the Loyalists.
The trick will be to have some moderate Unionists go along to get along. However their wishes must be taken seriously, and they are made t feel like equal citizens. I suspect the moderates in the SDLP are the most focused on that aspect.
As you know the Irish were not treated that way for a long time, and it eventually boiled over into violence.

I also agree that Brits (especially Scots) can be stubborn as mules, probably only rivaled by their Irish counterparts.
Thus you have two sides (at least on the polar extremes) that believe giving one inch is far too much.

`

Old 02-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Classic DUP rubbish (as you Brits would say), as they were all for Brexit, but now don't like what they helped create.
Doesn't everyone want their cake and eat it to.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rexit-protocol

Boris should tell Arlene to pound sand.
She has the temerity to say the DUP will not participate in any talks with the Irish government related to the protocol, warning ominously that “north south relations will be impacted”.
"Impacted"
How, going from 99.9% against any cross border relationship to 100% ?

Old 02-03-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I agree that in the short run, unification will be fraught with distrust and disunity, especially among the Loyalists.
The trick will be to have some moderate Unionists go along to get along. However their wishes must be taken seriously, and they are made t feel like equal citizens. I suspect the moderates in the SDLP are the most focused on that aspect.
As you know the Irish were not treated that way for a long time, and it eventually boiled over into violence.

I also agree that Brits (especially Scots) can be stubborn as mules, probably only rivaled by their Irish counterparts.
Thus you have two sides (at least on the polar extremes) that believe giving one inch is far too much.

`
Irish loyalists don't want 'to get along' they want to stay part of the UK!!

How about we incorporate the US back into the UK crown - in the short run unification will be fraught with distrust and disunity, especially among the Americans, the trick will be to have some 'moderate Britons' go along to get along first though so that your American 'wishes' are taken seriously and you're made to feel like equal citizens. Of course you Americans can be 'stubborn as mules' not prepared to even give an inch.

That is basically what you're saying! What do you think? Will Americans 'go' for that!?

Old 02-04-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Irish loyalists don't want 'to get along' they want to stay part of the UK!!

How about we incorporate the US back into the UK crown - in the short run unification will be fraught with distrust and disunity, especially among the Americans, the trick will be to have some 'moderate Britons' go along to get along first though so that your American 'wishes' are taken seriously and you're made to feel like equal citizens. Of course you Americans can be 'stubborn as mules' not prepared to even give an inch.

That is basically what you're saying! What do you think? Will Americans 'go' for that!?
Do you and those you know, refer to Loyalists as "Irish"
I suspect they would not take kindly to that.

As to your hypothetical question, lefts not forget we Yanks fought for our independence and won. As mighty as you Brits were once, you did not have the logistical capability to keep us under your thumb like you have Ireland, which is only a stones throw away.

Also when I say Brits and the Irish are as stubborn as mules, that is not to say they all are. I think more in terms of the Loyalists & Republicans, as they are the harder core of the general Unionists & Nationalists.
While Paisley and McGuinness (Loyalist/Republican respectively) were able to get along and move things forward, generally I'd assume the UUP & SDLP could forge a greater comprise in trying to live and work together.

As it relates to what has happened with Brexit and the DUP having their finger in the pie, are you of a different mind that the DUP got what they deserved?

`

Old 02-04-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Do you and those you know, refer to Loyalists as "Irish"
I suspect they would not take kindly to that.

As to your hypothetical question, lefts not forget we Yanks fought for our independence and won. As mighty as you Brits were once, you did not have the logistical capability to keep us under your thumb like you have Ireland, which is only a stones throw away.

Also when I say Brits and the Irish are as stubborn as mules, that is not to say they all are. I think more in terms of the Loyalists & Republicans, as they are the harder core of the general Unionists & Nationalists.
While Paisley and McGuinness (Loyalist/Republican respectively) were able to get along and move things forward, generally I'd assume the UUP & SDLP could forge a greater comprise in trying to live and work together.

As it relates to what has happened with Brexit and the DUP having their finger in the pie, are you of a different mind that the DUP got what they deserved?

`

Of course they're Irish! they're from Ireland, what do you think they want to be known as - Welsh?
They're quite happy following their national football team called Northern IRELAND aren't they?
The Irish are NOT under our 'thumb' don't be so bloody stupid! Where the f*ck did you get that from? A bar in Boston by any chance! Next you'll be accusing the English of 'occupying' Scotland (another dumb lie Americans seem to think is somekind of 'fact' because they once saw Braveheart on the TV).
Talking about bringing the US back under British rule seems to have hit a nerve with you? You must be one of the 'stubborn' ones! That's not to say all Americans are, you just have to 'learn' to live as Britons, I'm sure we could 'forge a greater compromise' in trying to live and work together under the British flag no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom