Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 07:42 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Where did Roscoe go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i was thinking the same
I suspect he is busy like many of us have been since covid hit. Many are struggling to keep employees afloat long enough to get revenue generated.
Others are looking for work and trying to keep food on the table.
Heck I am receiving all the holiday requests for donations to worthy causes I typically donate to. This year I can still make my annual contributions, as I know plenty of people are worse off than myself.
However if things are as bad next year as they were this year, I hate to think I might need to cut back on giving back.
So while this is certainly an interesting discussion, things are fairly stable in NI at the moment, and I suspect in large part due to covid.
Brexit is still something that could unravel the GFA if they are not careful, and a vote on unification could very well be coming as well.

That said, I hope he is alright and not being personally touched by this cursed virus. I have been exposed a couple of times, and know a couple of people who have been sick and recovered, and a couple who had relatives who succumbed to it.

So to all the participants in this discussion who have not been as active, I hope you all are otherwise busy with your families health and well being.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 PM

130,425 posts, read 12,124,678 times
I think he was either banned or he quit, as it says "not a member" under his name.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think he was either banned or he quit, as it says "not a member" under his name.
Oh, I didn't even look at his ID.
Between those two possibilities, I suspect he was banned, as he does not seem like a quitter. I suspect he was too caustic and finally got the hook.

On the bright side, thankfully he is not an "Eternal Member".

`

Last edited by Vector1; 12-12-2020 at 01:52 PM..

Old 12-12-2020, 01:18 PM

130,425 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Very true, Vector

Old 12-13-2020, 07:06 AM

It is not often I agree with the hardline DUP (compared with the UUP), but the tweet by the SF Dail member was uncalled for, and shows how some politicians are tone deaf.
Worse, even if you have such thoughts based on prejudice, ego, pride or whatever was going through his mind, you do not get on the megaphone and broadcast your thoughts to the world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55124549

It just goes to show how both sides are still stuck in an endless paradigm, and help to breed mistrust at a time when bridges need to be built.

`

Old 12-13-2020, 08:08 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is not often I agree with the hardline DUP (compared with the UUP), but the tweet by the SF Dail member was uncalled for, and shows how some politicians are tone deaf.
Worse, even if you have such thoughts based on prejudice, ego, pride or whatever was going through his mind, you do not get on the megaphone and broadcast your thoughts to the world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55124549

It just goes to show how both sides are still stuck in an endless paradigm, and help to breed mistrust at a time when bridges need to be built.

`
Great advice........if only Donald Dump would practice it........

Old 12-13-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Great advice........if only Donald Dump would practice it........
Trump and all other world leaders need to be more civil, regardless of their inherent personalities.
While I do not believe in PC and pretending reality is non-existent in the face of hard to face facts, you can also be civil while expressing said reality.
So whether it be Trump or Obama on our side of the pond, or Johnson and/or Foster on the other side, everyone needs to tone down the caustic rhetoric, which only serves to coarsen our societies.

Sure in the example I used, it was SF talking about an IRA operation. But regardless of whether NI is "occupied by Britain" or not, harkening back to the deaths of soldiers decades ago, thus pulling off the scab, hardly seems productive.

People just do not think before they open their gobs, and they seem to lack empathy for others. Just imagine how upset the Nationalists/Republicans would be if a member of the DUP derided the deaths of IRA members because they were outsmarted by the Brits.
SF and others would have a fit.
So short of intentional trolling, that SF member seems to lack any semblance of empathy.

`

Old 12-13-2020, 07:04 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Trump and all other world leaders need to be more civil, regardless of their inherent personalities.
While I do not believe in PC and pretending reality is non-existent in the face of hard to face facts, you can also be civil while expressing said reality.
So whether it be Trump or Obama on our side of the pond, or Johnson and/or Foster on the other side, everyone needs to tone down the caustic rhetoric, which only serves to coarsen our societies.

Sure in the example I used, it was SF talking about an IRA operation. But regardless of whether NI is "occupied by Britain" or not, harkening back to the deaths of soldiers decades ago, thus pulling off the scab, hardly seems productive.

People just do not think before they open their gobs, and they seem to lack empathy for others. Just imagine how upset the Nationalists/Republicans would be if a member of the DUP derided the deaths of IRA members because they were outsmarted by the Brits.
SF and others would have a fit.
So short of intentional trolling, that SF member seems to lack any semblance of empathy.

`
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll say no more than this:

That's convenient for you, putting Trump in the same category as all the other world leaders, most of whom are respectful. I can think of maybe ten others that are in the Trump mold. Bolsonaro, Maduro, Duarte, Orban, Lukashenko, plus some African and Asian, but people who make a mistake like the SF guy, and then apologise for it, even if under pressure to do so, don't fit the Trump mold.
Trying to project Trump's behavior onto all other leaders fools only yourself.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll say no more than this:

That's convenient for you, putting Trump in the same category as all the other world leaders, most of whom are respectful. I can think of maybe ten others that are in the Trump mold. Bolsonaro, Maduro, Duarte, Orban, Lukashenko, plus some African and Asian, but people who make a mistake like the SF guy, and then apologise for it, even if under pressure to do so, don't fit the Trump mold.
Trying to project Trump's behavior onto all other leaders fools only yourself.
I do not defend all of Trumps behavior, and likely he is one of the worst regarding tweeting without thinking.
That said (and as you point out), Trump has nothing to do with this topic, nor has he shown any particular interest in NI from what I am aware of (unlike presidents like Bill Clinton). My point was merely that far too many politicians seem to have diarrhea of the mouth on social media.

As to the Sinn Fein politician apologizing after his tone deaf tweet, what you might not be aware of is how NI politicians seem to make stupid, and inflammatory comments (publicly) on a regular basis.
Since both the DUP & SF are polar opposites, they need to be more careful with their rhetoric, yet fail miserably.
Naturally their respective rivals via the UUP & SDLP seem more adept at conveying a message, but not being as inflammatory.
So when a SF member talks of pushing Unionists into the sea, or the leader of the DUP says they would leave NI if the unification with Ireland occurred, one wonders why they cannot see how stupid that is to say publicly.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
Special Report: Ireland's defence shortcomings a clear and present danger to global stability

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/s...-40167711.html

Ireland should join NATO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom