Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 04:10 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For starters, maybe you can talk some sense into Easthome regarding the British government living up to their signed obligations, as I apparently am not able to.

What is interesting about what you said is that most, but not all Catholics will vote to reunify with Ireland.
However, not all Protestants are wedded to Britain either, as some preferred being in the EU. They also do not like the hardline right positions of the DUP, which is extreme compared to SF.
I doubt it, he does't seem to understand that an agreement is an agreement A nation can't go throwing out agreements at the whim of a few.

Sometimes I wonder at the comprehension levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 05:40 PM

572 posts, read 280,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
If there were a vote in N.I would it turn out something like this ?

Majority Catholics... for unification.

All Protestants ......no unification

How much did N.I benefit from membership in the EU I wonder? I heard the vote for Brexit didn't go down at all well. Nor did it in Scotland
I suspect minorities on both sides would vote counter to general expectations. The size of those minorities would be crucial. Either way, a close run thing....
An increasing number decline to specify any religion. The non-sectarian Alliance party, long an also ran, doubled their seats in the 2022 local elections to become the 3rd largest largest of 7 parties, a hopeful sign.

Scotland voted 60%+ remain, and N.I. voted 56% remain.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:16 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
This article goes to the points (James & Buck) and I have been discussing;

While a vote on the future of Northern Ireland still remains some way away, Sinn Féin’s victory means the republic must weigh whether it can afford to absorb its northern neighbor into its health care and education system. Northern Ireland consistently has the U.K.’s highest rate of economically inactive people, including those needing long-term care.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...rthern-Ireland

I can only imagine the education system would be more advantageous in Ireland, without kids being segregated by religious denomination.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:07 AM

2,347 posts, read 854,994 times
Quote:

While a vote on the future of Northern Ireland still remains some way away, Sinn Féin’s victory means the republic must weigh whether it can afford to absorb its northern neighbor into its health care and education system. Northern Ireland consistently has the U.K.’s highest rate of economically inactive people, including those needing long-term care.

I can only imagine the education system would be more advantageous in Ireland, without kids being segregated by religious denomination.
That's the big question. The RoL has a lot going for it being ranked as one of the wealthiest countries in the OECD and the EU 27 but currently it's population is at around just under 5 million. It would have to absorb another 2 million which is quite staggering.

I'm surprised kids are segregated by religion in NI schools. I would have though that the schools would conform to the standard British educational system.

No doubt many of the older kids are already thoroughly brainwashed in religious bias as well as their parents.
Dealing with that would be quite a challenge

Old 07-09-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Both that article and J.A.'s comments illustrate why a vote for UI in RoI is not a foregone conclusion. Voters in RoI are wary of buying a pig-in-a-poke. Don't want to have the Irish equivalent of Brexit buyers remorse.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
That's the big question. The RoL has a lot going for it being ranked as one of the wealthiest countries in the OECD and the EU 27 but currently it's population is at around just under 5 million. It would have to absorb another 2 million which is quite staggering.

I'm surprised kids are segregated by religion in NI schools. I would have though that the schools would conform to the standard British educational system.

No doubt many of the older kids are already thoroughly brainwashed in religious bias as well as their parents.
Dealing with that would be quite a challenge
Probably true, but nowhere near as bad as back in the day. Some progress has been made.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
For starters, maybe you can talk some sense into Easthome regarding the British government living up to their signed obligations, as I apparently am not able to.

What is interesting about what you said is that most, but not all Catholics will vote to reunify with Ireland.
However, not all Protestants are wedded to Britain either, as some preferred being in the EU. They also do not like the hardline right positions of the DUP, which is extreme compared to SF.
The British governments FIRST obligation is to Britain, I'm sick of outsiders trying to tell Britain what it must do. NI is part of the UK and therefore it is up to the UK what it does with it and the FIRST thing the government must do is protect its people from the EU. If the EU or even worse the US, or even worse again Americans who THINK they are Irish when they are not, have a problem with the UK's internal politics I really don't care.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:03 AM

5,410 posts, read 3,607,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The British governments FIRST obligation is to Britain, I'm sick of outsiders trying to tell Britain what it must do. NI is part of the UK and therefore it is up to the UK what it does with it and the FIRST thing the government must do is protect its people from the EU. If the EU or even worse the US, or even worse again Americans who THINK they are Irish when they are not, have a problem with the UK's internal politics I really don't care.
hear, hear, couldnt agree more.
domestic politics is no business of outsiders.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:17 AM

Anyone having a local (night before) bonfire tomorrow the 11th that will beat this?
17,000 pallets. One dead after falling off during construction.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/n...sam&stream=top

Old 07-10-2022, 08:37 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
hear, hear, couldnt agree more.
domestic politics is no business of outsiders.
How can you back him up knowing full well it was you guys (aka the UK) that agreed to sign the GFA, which has paid countless dividends for 20+ years?
Now that you have benefited, and an integral aspect of the agreement will occur, you want to back him up and say it shouldn't?

I always thought the Brits were good to their word, and honor was paramount to them. With Easthomes view, it would seem no one should sign an agreement with the UK, because their word will not be worth the paper it is written on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom