Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I was in London last week. Didn't notice much difference from the 1980's when I was a more frequent visitor. And, I usually stay in your neck of the woods.
Quite surprised by that, I'm sure you heard my beloved cockney accent a lot less?

Either way I know you have lived/worked here mate and yes I'm only 31 so im probably not the very best judge however it is still local feeling and I'm sure you didn't have all the roma gypsies on park lane, Marble Arch, Edgware Road and the entire west end begging, mugging and causing disturbances? Plus the crime gangs?

I know we had some sort of crime back then but it's wide spread simply because of the number that's entered the UK. Again I've got absolutely no problems with THEM as such because if I was offered a chance to leave and go somewhere for a better life I'd take it but it's the government for not curbing the number.

London has always and still is a great place for tourists but living here now is much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Quite surprised by that, I'm sure you heard my beloved cockney accent a lot less?

Either way I know you have lived/worked here mate and yes I'm only 31 so im probably not the very best judge however it is still local feeling and I'm sure you didn't have all the roma gypsies on park lane, Marble Arch, Edgware Road and the entire west end begging, mugging and causing disturbances? Plus the crime gangs?

I know we had some sort of crime back then but it's wide spread simply because of the number that's entered the UK. Again I've got absolutely no problems with THEM as such because if I was offered a chance to leave and go somewhere for a better life I'd take it but it's the government for not curbing the number.

London has always and still is a great place for tourists but living here now is much different.
Edgware Rd, now as then, had plenty of Middle Easterners, particularly wealthy Lebanese.
I recall in the 80's seeing groups of Lebanese men in expensive suits sitting in circles on the sidewalk outside one of their banks on Edgware rd. that had shut down abruptly. It looked as bizarre as it sounds.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Edgware Rd, now as then, had plenty of Middle Easterners, particularly wealthy Lebanese.
I recall in the 80's seeing groups of Lebanese men in expensive suits sitting in circles on the sidewalk outside one of their banks on Edgware rd. that had shut down abruptly. It looked as bizarre as it sounds.
Yes that's still the case now mate

I've seen a few disturbances between the 2

Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
Quote:
In 2004, I took my daughter and her friend to the UK as a high school graduation gift. We stayed at the Hilton on Edgware Road. Tensions were high because of the Iraq war and it got to the point where we wouldn't eat at any of the restaurants because of the open hostility to Americans. One day, while walking down the street in broad daylight, two young Middle Eastern-looking men groped my daughter as we walked along the road. They just laughed and carried on down the street.

A year later I recognized the lobby of the Hilton as victims of the 7/7 bombing at the Edgware Road station were triaged. Terrible.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
In 2004, I took my daughter and her friend to the UK as a high school graduation gift. We stayed at the Hilton on Edgware Road. Tensions were high because of the Iraq war and it got to the point where we wouldn't eat at any of the restaurants because of the open hostility to Americans. One day, while walking down the street in broad daylight, two young Middle Eastern-looking men groped my daughter as we walked along the road. They just laughed and carried on down the street.

A year later I recognized the lobby of the Hilton as victims of the 7/7 bombing at the Edgware Road station were triaged. Terrible.
That's literally down the road for me.

I'm truly sorry to hear of that, I mean us Brits are forward and all but that's just outright disgusting mate

Old 07-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post

That's where I stayed this time. In the 80's I couldn't afford it, and used to stay round the corner in Sussex Gardens.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
That's where I stayed this time. In the 80's I couldn't afford it, and used to stay round the corner in Sussex Gardens.
The metropole? next to the hospital?

Glad you can afford it now.

LOL Sussex gardens ..

Old 07-24-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
The metropole? next to the hospital?

Glad you can afford it now.

LOL Sussex gardens ..
Yep!

In the 80"s it wasn't owned by Hilton, and many Americans reading this would be surprised that I say I couldn't afford a Hilton, but in the US Hilton's are generally a lot less fancy and expensive than the Metropole.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yep!

In the 80"s it wasn't owned by Hilton, and many Americans reading this would be surprised that I say I couldn't afford a Hilton, but in the US Hilton's are generally a lot less fancy and expensive than the Metropole.
Yeah to be honest I've always wondered how they afforded it but ^^^^ explains it thank you

There is another one less than 5 minutes away by paddington station

Old 07-24-2016, 02:00 PM

275 posts, read 185,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
National Sovereignty.

It was the working class who mainly voted for it.
Mentioning working class and sovereignty in the UK...what do you have to say about the House of Lords and the Monarchy? Those are clearly undemocratic institutions but now the working class doesn't like to be in the undemicratic EU Fine denial is not just a river in Egypt.

When I was a student in the UK, I was advised by the university to be careful during the weekends when the working class would drink themselves to a comatose stupor and became really bitter toward us, "wealthy" foreigners, who were able to study in oxfordbridge and not them. At least my mates and I looked "British", so I didnt suffer as other of my classmates which were obviously foreign or look more...mediterranean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
If they don't want to see real anger, then they will carry on making all the right noises. Theresa May says out means out. The French are trying to kick us out the door as quickly as possible. You think we're going cap in hand, to the French, saying, we didn't mean it, please let us stay? I don't think so.

We don't want their free movement anymore....... we're sick of it. Low class immigrants like roma gypsies dumped in northern towns like Sheffield. You don't seem to get it - we've had enough.
Well those romas were/are violating EU law, why aren't you asking your government, current and prior, to follow the law?
It is so strange how northeners are positively obssesed with gypsies! A security guard befriended me, we used to take smoking breaks at the same time, he was from somewhere near Bradford, he asked about my accent and he was really surprised about my nationality and told me, point blank, that I didnt look like a gypsy. And he meant it as a compliment! For him anyone not born in Northern Europe (Germany, The Netherlands, or Scandinavia - even Belgium and Austria were not included) were darkies. I dismissed the conversation as just a neonazi nutter, but the Brexit results and what I hear from foreigners living in the UK, let me believe that line of thought is/was much more prevalent than what I saw (most of my dealings were with middle class folks, Brittish or other nationalities). It is such a dissappointment, I never thought I had to be negatively surprised by the UK, I mean, we are used to French eccentricities but never could've imagine I would've to describe the UK as unreliable.

Though it seems the tories might not trigger art 50 at the end...no Syrians refugees but maybe still some of those pesky romas...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-seven-years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom