Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 02:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post

Well those romas were/are violating EU law, why aren't you asking your government, current and prior, to follow the law?
It is so strange how northeners are positively obssesed with gypsies! A security guard befriended me, we used to take smoking breaks at the same time, he was from somewhere near Bradford, he asked about my accent and he was really surprised about my nationality and told me, point blank, that I didnt look like a gypsy. And he meant it as a compliment! For him anyone not born in Northern Europe (Germany, The Netherlands, or Scandinavia - even Belgium and Austria were not included) were darkies. I dismissed the conversation as just a neonazi nutter, but the Brexit results and what I hear from foreigners living in the UK, let me believe that line of thought is/was much more prevalent than what I saw (most of my dealings were with middle class folks, Brittish or other nationalities). It is such a dissappointment, I never thought I had to be negatively surprised by the UK, I mean, we are used to French eccentricities but never could've imagine I would've to describe the UK as unreliable.

Though it seems the tories might not trigger art 50 at the end...no Syrians refugees but maybe still some of those pesky romas...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-seven-years
I have never heard anyone I know refer to people as 'darkies.' What a strange term. You seem to look down on the working class of England. They are the ones who have suffered the most under freedom of movement. They find themselves fighting for low paying jobs, with plenty of foreigners willing to accept poor wages, and working conditions.

I don't want to see my country being swamped with foreigners, simple as that. I want us to pick and choose who we let into my country. People with skills we need are of course welcome. We have not got enough housing for the people here now. Our services like schools are also under great strain.

You say we northerners are obsessed with gypsies. I don't want to see any lifetime thieves and trained pickpockets coming here looking for easy pickings. I don't want Eastern European murderers coming here, and killing young girls either. I want our government to decide who comes here, and explain to the people why.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your dealings with middle class folk. They are the ones benefiting from EU membership. The ones at the bottom of the pile not so much so. I am in comfortable retirement, but I don't forget where I came from, and the people left behind there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
Mentioning working class and sovereignty in the UK...what do you have to say about the House of Lords and the Monarchy? Those are clearly undemocratic institutions but now the working class doesn't like to be in the undemicratic EU Fine denial is not just a river in Egypt.
This is going to be my last post for a while.

In terms of the Constitutional Monarchy, it has no political or excutive powers and is merely a figurehead that represents the nation, as for the House of Lords it can delay bills but otherwise has very little power.

The Role of the Monarchy

House of Lords Role and Powers | Law Teacher

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-24-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have never heard anyone I know refer to people as 'darkies.' What a strange term. You seem to look down on the working class of England. They are the ones who have suffered the most under freedom of movement. They find themselves fighting for low paying jobs, with plenty of foreigners willing to accept poor wages, and working conditions.

I don't want to see my country being swamped with foreigners, simple as that. I want us to pick and choose who we let into my country. People with skills we need are of course welcome. We have not got enough housing for the people here now. Our services like schools are also under great strain.

You say we northerners are obsessed with gypsies. I don't want to see any lifetime thieves and trained pickpockets coming here looking for easy pickings. I don't want Eastern European murderers coming here, and killing young girls either. I want our government to decide who comes here, and explain to the people why.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your dealings with middle class folk. They are the ones benefiting from EU membership. The ones at the bottom of the pile not so much so. I am in comfortable retirement, but I don't forget where I came from, and the people left behind there.
You've obviously led a very sheltered life. I once asked for directions to a district in Birmingham, and was met with the response: "Oooh, darkest Africa down there mate"

I remember the signs in the windows that said, No Blacks, Irish, dogs.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Or you think you do.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-dogs-no-proof

Old 07-24-2016, 03:11 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
You've obviously led a very sheltered life. I once asked for directions to a district in Birmingham, and was met with the response: "Oooh, darkest Africa down there mate"

How old are you...... about 95? I have heard of these fabled signs that said,'No blacks, Irish, Dogs.' I seem to remember it was early black immigrants in the 1950s speaking of such signs. I am 62 years old, and never saw any such thing. May be it happened in big cities like London, I don't really know. What has that got to do with the feelings of modern day British people?

We are tired of massive, unsustainable immigration. Sorry if that offends you. I have done with this conversation. I have spoken for weeks, and given my opinion. All I will do, if I carry on, is repeat what I have said earlier. I stand by every word I have spoken on this subject.

I do not want to see this important thread locked.

Last edited by Gungnir; 07-24-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
How old are you...... about 95? I have heard of these fabled signs that said,'No blacks, Irish, Dogs.' I seem to remember it was early black immigrants in the 1950s speaking of such signs. I am 62 years old, and never saw any such thing. May be it happened in big cities like London, I don't really know. What has that got to do with the feelings of modern day British people?

We are tired of massive, unsustainable immigration. Sorry if that offends you. I have done with this conversation. I have spoken for weeks, and given my opinion. All I will do, if I carry on, is repeat what I have said earlier. I stand by every word I have spoken on this subject.

I do not want to see this important thread locked. Try your race baiting with someone else.
I'm Irish born, and hold Irish and US passports. I'm 59. I saw those signs in London, in the 60's and 70,s.

This 2015 Guardian piece/letter asserts they existed well into the sixties, and people in the UK still attempt to deny it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...o-blacks-signs

The highlighted text confirms that you don't know.

Last edited by Gungnir; 07-24-2016 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:

That just means somewhere remote, unexplored or off the beaten track! Nothing to do with race

I'm slightly too young to remember the signs, but have seen images. I think it's the term "darkies" he was referring to. It was used but not in the last forty years or so!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
That just means somewhere remote, unexplored or off the beaten track! Nothing to do with race

I'm slightly too young to remember the signs, but have seen images. I think it's the term "darkies" he was referring to. It was used but not in the last forty years or so!
I disagree with your opinion which you've made at thirty plus years, and some distance remove. I was on the spot at the time. But even if you are correct, I have a hard time understanding how the terms remote, unexplored or off the beaten track could apply to a warehouse district of urban Birmingham of the 1980's. Care to enlighten me?

Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedness View Post
darkest part of africa just measns a vvery remote unknown place. everyone knows that!
Ditto for you.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Just watched Panorama on BBC. Paul Mason (a remainer ) claimed populist racism (particularly against Muslims, which has little to do with EU issues), was "out of control" in UK. Other panelist, a younger MP, I believe, name of Mannan maybe? (a leaver), nodded in agreement. The number of people on this thread, who are willing to suggest mistaken intent on matters of race, tends to reinforce Mason's view for me, and I'm not a big fan of his economic commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom