Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times

Advertisements

Spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I hate to say it Geoff956, but I am warming to Jeremy Corbyn........ He is coming over real well in this election campaign. He is warm, and very calm under pressure from interviewers. He even smiles and plays with them a little. He has Theresa May rattled. The personal attacks are intensifying.

I still think he will be beaten, but not as badly as I thought. As long as he keeps saying no way would he go into a coalition with wee Nicola in Scotland. That would cost him votes for sure! Plus keep Diane Abbott well away from any telly interviews!!

This is turning into a real interesting election.
The Tories will still get an 80-100 seat majority.
The fundamentals won't change.18-30s won't turn out to vote but older people will,traditional Labour supporters and former UKIP voters will switch sides to support the Tories over Brexit and the Don't Knows will choose the incumbent party as they always do in elections.
And YouGov, who predicted a hung parliament in 2015 and a Hilary Clinton win will be left with egg of their faces again for their hung parliament nonsense poll at the weekend.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
3 days later...

So what happened in 3 days to make you do a 180?
How do you think I feel Uncle? I have re-read all my posts in this thread......... In my heart, I am a Labour voter. Always have been my whole life.

I voted from Harold Wilson, through to Tony Blair........ never wavered. I voted David Cameron for the reason he offered a vote to leave the EU. I tell ya, it hurt.

I went along with slick Tony for quite a while. Then, the Iraq war happened, with him rushing in to send our boys out there. As they were badly wounded, and killed, I saw no compassion in him for them. He had plenty for Princess Diana.

Then came that clown Gordon Brown......... I just lost faith, and I knew this wasn't the real Labour party anymore. I watched Jeremy Corbyn with interest. I saw him as another Michael Foot. Well meaning, but no way a Prime Minister. I watched as his shadow cabinet resigned one by one, to be replaced by lesser politicians. I saw how close he is to the idiotic Diane Abbott.

I still don't see him as a Prime Minister, but I have changed my opinion of him as a man. He is kind and compassionate. He has shown himself to be a man with heart. I haven't voted for him, but I hope he doesn't get badly beaten in the upcoming election.

My doubts about Theresa May have been proven right. I think she is an over promoted bureaucrat. But, I have voted for her, and hope the country get behind her in the upcoming EU talks. My number one concern is leaving the EU, and surviving what follows that. I don't feel Jeremy, and his team, are the people for that job.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
How do you think I feel Uncle? I have re-read all my posts in this thread......... In my heart, I am a Labour voter. Always have been my whole life.

I voted from Harold Wilson, through to Tony Blair........ never wavered. I voted David Cameron for the reason he offered a vote to leave the EU. I tell ya, it hurt.

I went along with slick Tony for quite a while. Then, the Iraq war happened, with him rushing in to send our boys out there. As they were badly wounded, and killed, I saw no compassion in him for them. He had plenty for Princess Diana.

Then came that clown Gordon Brown......... I just lost faith, and I knew this wasn't the real Labour party anymore. I watched Jeremy Corbyn with interest. I saw him as another Michael Foot. Well meaning, but no way a Prime Minister. I watched as his shadow cabinet resigned one by one, to be replaced by lesser politicians. I saw how close he is to the idiotic Diane Abbott.

I still don't see him as a Prime Minister, but I have changed my opinion of him as a man. He is kind and compassionate. He has shown himself to be a man with heart. I haven't voted for him, but I hope he doesn't get badly beaten in the upcoming election.

My doubts about Theresa May have been proven right. I think she is an over promoted bureaucrat. But, I have voted for her, and hope the country get behind her in the upcoming EU talks. My number one concern is leaving the EU, and surviving what follows that. I don't feel Jeremy, and his team, are the people for that job.
Tell that to the victims of the IRA terrorists that Corbyn supported consistently throughout his career.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Tell that to the victims of the IRA terrorists that Corbyn supported consistently throughout his career.
Yeah, I know what you're saying Jaggy. I guess he thought it was right to do so at the time. He knew dialogue was the only way forward, and a political settlement had to be found. Idealists are sometimes blind to what's right, and what's wrong.

There are some who say Martin McGuinness was a real nice, family guy. I saw quite a few politicians who agreed they liked the man, after dealing with him. This very nice man was a high ranking IRA officer, involved in the murder of people.

The world is complex, and complicated, and I know that to be true. I think Jeremy Corbyn is not the man to lead this country. At the same time I have grave doubts about Theresa May. But, I think she is the only game in town.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know what you're saying Jaggy. I guess he thought it was right to do so at the time. He knew dialogue was the only way forward, and a political settlement had to be found. Idealists are sometimes blind to what's right, and what's wrong.

There are some who say Martin McGuinness was a real nice, family guy. I saw quite a few politicians who agreed they liked the man, after dealing with him. This very nice man was a high ranking IRA officer, involved in the murder of people.

The world is complex, and complicated, and I know that to be true. I think Jeremy Corbyn is not the man to lead this country. At the same time I have grave doubts about Theresa May. But, I think she is the only game in town.
The thing is Dave Corbyn voted against the good Friday agreement, the agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland. As for Corbyn leading the country, many of his own MP's think he has been a disaster as leader of the Labour party.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The thing is Dave Corbyn voted against the good Friday agreement, the agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland. As for Corbyn leading the country, many of his own MP's think he has been a disaster as leader of the Labour party.
I thought the same albion, but Jeremy Corbyn voted for the Good Friday Agreement. He did vote against the earlier Anglo-Irish Agreement. I was surprised to find this out.

The thing is with Labour MPs turning on him, how many of those are what we used to see as real Labour MPs, and how many are 'new' Labour? That's the question for me. As I have said before, Corbyn would have fitted in nicely with a Labour government 50 years ago. Even more so, after the war when many radical Labour ambitions were met, with for instance, the creation of the NHS.

All I am saying is he comes across as a real nice guy. Doesn't mean I'd vote for him........ The party in the country are right behind him. The kids and the radicals. But, by being able to speak for himself on the telly in recent weeks, instead of being judged by the newspapers, he has climbed up in the polls.

On the other hand, Theresa May has revealed herself to be not as tough as she pretends. Television interviews tend to reveal more about a candidate than they like, especially in her case. In interviews, guys like Paxman have tried to get under Corbyn's skin, and they have failed. He has the Tories rattled, because they thought this was a stroll in the park.

If Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness can become known as the 'Chuckle Brothers' in Ireland after the Good Friday Agreement was signed, anything is possible. Even me saying I have grown to like Jeremy Corbyn.

I still despise them all as a group though.............

Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:

As the economist John Kenneth Galbraith once said, politics is the art of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 AM

The election television debate tonight was to be without Corbyn and May. Jeremy has now announced he will appear. Theresa will not. He is on a roll. From trying to avoid even saying his name, Labour candidates in the election must be delighted how he is coming across with television viewers. Theresa is running scared. Grow a pair girl!!.......

Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The election television debate tonight was to be without Corbyn and May. Jeremy has now announced he will appear. Theresa will not. He is on a roll. From trying to avoid even saying his name, Labour candidates in the election must be delighted how he is coming across with television viewers. Theresa is running scared. Grow a pair girl!!.......
Corbyn has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Theresa May could be a good prime minister but she is a terrible election campaigner and the Tories have done an awful job.

The old saying, 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom