Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anti British or not - Are we welcome in the US?
You're very welcome providing residency is legal 47 94.00%
You are welcome - but holiday only 0 0%
Don't care 1 2.00%
Stay away 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM

177 posts, read 815,204 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been in the US for 7 years nearly and have never really had any problems - Americans have accepted us and our accents extremely well. I have had alot of compliments about my accent and also there have been alot of Americans who have mistaken my accent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM

242 posts, read 842,053 times
I am moving to Georgia next month with my American husband and I have found the Georgians on this forum to be very friendly and welcoming, the only arguments arise with language differences but it's all said in jest. There are of course some people who are like the BNP that want to keep others out of their country, but those kind of people are everywhere.

Southerners are meant to be friendly so I am going with a positive attitude. I am sad to be leaving England - never thought that I would, not this bad anyway.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Americans love English/Scottish/Irish accents. I think your only problem will be having to many people trying to get to know you!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM

25 posts, read 49,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
In Iowa, anyone with any of the various UK-native accents will be received with absolute delight and treated very well. You may have been born and/or educated in a colony or former colony and come by your accent that way, but I wouldn't try to educate the natives on that score... just accept what is given!

Seriously, while some (typically uneducated and closed-minded) individuals will try to lump all of an ethnic group together, legal residents (fifth generation native, even!) or not, I imagine that happens anywhere. But since, as someone else pointed out, we are not generally overrrun with illegal immigrants from the UK, I just can't imagine anyone having any problem with your being here.

Thanks so much for the positive response

Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
C'mon...we love your accents. Remember that dude in the movie, "Love Actually!". He sold everything to fly to the US and got every girl? OK, maybe that won't happen exactly but...you know! LOL!

Good Luck,

Shanny

Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 49,588 times
Thank you all VERY much for your postive comments it has certaintly reassured us about coming over!! We are the sort of people who would want to fit in, be legal, work hard and yes pay our taxes.

Also, thanks for those who responded to the poll. Results so far: 20 in favour of 'You're very welcome [to US] providing residency is legal ', none against.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:13 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
My wife is American and i'm a Brit. I have been over to America a number of times now and we are buying property in Houston. I have never yet come across a American that hasn't treated me with respect and kindness. Brits are treated worse in the UK then they are in America. I have come to the conclussion that the USA really is the greatest country in the world. If it had a decent health service it would be near perfect. You will find Americans very very hospitable and with a great attitude.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
I'm not exactly British but my parents are. They moved here in 1972, two years before I was born so I have an American passport. Anyway, as far as I am aware of my parents haven't experienced any negativity or predudice simply because he is British. Now for his views and opinions on some things, that is debatable but they have nothing to do with being British.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,595 times
I've not come across any anti-British in my 20 odd years of vacationing in the US and for the last 10 years doing a lot of business in the US including running a business. In fact I find the opposite.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 AM

190 posts, read 844,514 times
Honestly people in the states really dig the whole British thing. They think its sexy and cool....just look at the latest Bachelor on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom