Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 10:33 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Agree with all of this.

I much prefer the Italian drinking culture. But otherwise love the UK, including the food.

Heathrow is far from the worst airport I have been to. Mexico City was pretty awful and LA many years ago had staff shouting insults at the Central American passengers when we arrived (we were transferred to Air Costa Rica)
Agree re the drinking culture. Even coming from Australia, I was pretty shocked by how tolerated getting absolutely sideways with colleagues after work was. I think the weather plays a significant role in that. The other thing I found odd/weird/annoying was the obsession with WW2. Overall though I love the place and living there.

I think it's a bit unfair to make broad generalisations about a country based on the staff at an airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 02:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I lived in New Jersey, and London, and several states. I’d never judge the character of the people of a country, or a state or a city by the behaviour of airport staff.

I agree - and there is increasing investment in Heathrow, with new terminals, terminal upgrades and new transport links such as Crossrail, whilst there are still plans for a third runway.

London also has two further large airports in relation to Gatwick and Stansted, as well as three smaller airports in relation to Luton, London City and Southend.

I don't think Heathrow is any worse than other major airports such as those in NYC, Paris or Amsterdam.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Agree re the drinking culture. Even coming from Australia, I was pretty shocked by how tolerated getting absolutely sideways with colleagues after work was. I think the weather plays a significant role in that. The other thing I found odd/weird/annoying was the obsession with WW2. Overall though I love the place and living there.

I think it's a bit unfair to make broad generalisations about a country based on the staff at an airport.
Not sure about the drinking culture, as in recent decades binge drinking has declined significantly, and a lot of pubs are now increasingly food orientated and that young people interact on line rather than go to the pub.

Whilst even a third of visits to the pub, now involve no alcohol.

Gen Z for zero tolerance: why British youth are turning off booze - The Guardian (2022)

‘Generation sensible’ risk missing out on life experiences, therapists warn - The Guardian (2022)

'Generation Sensible' in five charts - BBC News (2018)

One-third of Brits planning a teetotal Christmas, Schweppes survey finds.

More Britons than ever are going alcohol-free this Christmas – this is what they’ll be drinking - The Telegraph (2022)

Quote:

* Research saw 55 percent of us have fewer than ten units of alcohol per week

* The NHS saw 60 per cent of adults drank up to 14 units per week

* 'We need to rethink what we understand as a 'non-drinker' in the UK, says brewer

* A raft of major brewers have expanded into non-alcoholic beers in recent years

Drinking the bar dry: A third of pub visits are now alcohol free, research shows - Daily Mail (2022)
A third of Britons, now approve of a Vegan diet, which puts pay to al lot of outdated stereotypes -

No meat please, we’re British: now a third of us approve of vegan diet - The Guardian (2022)

One in five ready meals sold by supermarkets vegetarian or plant-based - GB News (2021)

British pub food & the rise of the gastro pub - Difford's Guide

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-22-2022 at 03:25 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
My guess is that the problem is more than likely with you and your attitude.

A lot of what is labelled British culture is increasingly outdated stereotypes, whether it be food, alcohol consumption, our teeth or a whole raft of other nonsense.

Some of it is perpetuated by those who have never even visited Britain, or those that visited a long time ago.

A lot of the stereotypes were also established via US GI's during WW2, and the Cold War, whe the country was struggling in food rations and was a very different place to today.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:47 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not sure about the drinking culture, as in recent decades binge drinking has declined significantly, and a lot of pubs are now increasingly food orientated and that young people interact on line rather than go to the pub.

It's all relative. Younger people being less likely to drink is a global trend.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
It's all relative. Younger people being less likely to drink is a global trend.
The UK drinks less than the European average, with recent figures showing the average Brit drink 9.7 litres of alcohol a year, which is not that more than the average American.

As well as the amount of alcohol, the type of alcohol has also changed, with an increase in wine consumption at home, as well as a rise in craft beers as opposed to mass produced larger.

The idea that the British and Irish drink more than other European or western nations is an outdated stereotype,

In terms of global alcohol consumption, it has increased 70% in recent years.

Global alcohol intake has increased by 70%, study warns - Medical News Today (2019)

Britain ISN'T the boozing capital of Europe: UK ranks middle of table... with Latvia in top spot, OECD data shows - Daily Mail (5th December 2022)

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-22-2022 at 05:06 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 05:53 AM

325 posts, read 368,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Having flown into many airports around the world I’d say many had similar attitudes, but the worst attitude was Newark New Jersey , talk about rude. Big mistake to use the attitude of airport staff to judge a country of city.
I totally agree.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:27 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:

A lot of what is labelled British culture is increasingly outdated stereotypes, whether it be food, alcohol consumption, our teeth or a whole raft of other nonsense.

Some of it is perpetuated by those who have never even visited Britain, or those that visited a long time ago.

A lot of the stereotypes were also established via US GI's during WW2, and the Cold War, whe the country was struggling in food rations and was a very different place to today.
Yep, how many times I’ve heard people lambast British food who have never been to the UK and on further questioning they are basing it on what they heard or that their Brit grandmothers cooking

Old 12-22-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Whilst even a third of visits to the pub, now involve no alcohol.

Gen Z for zero tolerance: why British youth are turning off booze - The Guardian (2022)

‘Generation sensible’ risk missing out on life experiences, therapists warn - The Guardian (2022)

'Generation Sensible' in five charts - BBC News (2018)

One-third of Brits planning a teetotal Christmas, Schweppes survey finds.

More Britons than ever are going alcohol-free this Christmas – this is what they’ll be drinking - The Telegraph (2022)

A third of Britons, now approve of a Vegan diet, which puts pay to al lot of outdated stereotypes -

No meat please, we’re British: now a third of us approve of vegan diet - The Guardian (2022)

One in five ready meals sold by supermarkets vegetarian or plant-based - GB News (2021)

British pub food & the rise of the gastro pub - Difford's Guide
Couldn’t rep you again but great list thanks for sharing

Old 12-22-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:

It’s more than unfair, it’s silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom