Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 03:03 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I've never visited the UK, but I found the people who work at Heathrow to be unhelpful and gave off snobby vibes whenever I've been there for a layover/connection. I'm not sure if this applies to London or UK as a whole.
My guess is that the problem is more than likely with you and your attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 03:19 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
My biggest complaint is with the degradation of the English language. When is the last time you heard a Limey say, "Pip Pip!", "Tally ho!", "By Jove!", What ho!", "Jolly good, Jeeves!" etc. etc. So sad.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:25 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Having flown into many airports around the world I’d say many had similar attitudes, but the worst attitude was Newark New Jersey , talk about rude. Big mistake to use the attitude of airport staff to judge a country of city.
I've found that the staff at Newark Int'l to be helpful if curt, and if all else fails, they at least respond to directness or some cash. I would say that people in NJ have no bones about being direct and rude, and no one around here will try to sell you something else. Heathrow staff were just in their own cloud. It was like they're dealing with the gall of these "plebs" and "commoners"!!!! Royalty airport workers.

I've actually been to Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and Turkey (amongst, other countries) and the airport staff were very down to earth and helpful, and the people in the country were absolutely lovely. Like haughty airport staff isn't the best marketing for your country.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-21-2022 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-21-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
My guess is that the problem is more than likely with you and your attitude.
My guess is that you are just a stuffy Brit who wants to defend stuffy Brit behavior. I see that you have cotton and presumption popping out of your mouth there.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-21-2022 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-21-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
My biggest complaint is with the degradation of the English language. When is the last time you heard a Limey say, "Pip Pip!", "Tally ho!", "By Jove!", What ho!", "Jolly good, Jeeves!" etc. etc. So sad.
Even here, here! Bloody damn! Bloody good! By God, Sir! Or even Right that way, Sir!!! All you get is airport staff who think they're royalty and won't even give you useful advice on how to get to your connecting flight. Been there three times, and I'll never go through Heathrow ever again unless maybe I go to Ireland again. You get more earnest help at airports by people who speak Spanish or Arabic and don't speak a lick of English.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:40 PM

2,342 posts, read 851,437 times
The

Old 12-21-2022, 07:42 PM

2,342 posts, read 851,437 times
The attitude of bar staff and waiters

Old 12-21-2022, 08:56 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I've found that the staff at Newark Int'l to be helpful if curt, and if all else fails, they at least respond to directness or some cash. I would say that people in NJ have no bones about being direct and rude, and no one around here will try to sell you something else. Heathrow staff were just in their own cloud. It was like they're dealing with the gall of these "plebs" and "commoners"!!!! Royalty airport workers.

I've actually been to Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and Turkey (amongst, other countries) and the airport staff were very down to earth and helpful, and the people in the country were absolutely lovely. Like haughty airport staff isn't the best marketing for your country.
I lived in New Jersey, and London, and several states. I’d never judge the character of the people of a country, or a state or a city by the behaviour of airport staff.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:02 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Worst airport by FAR=Newark. Rude, unhelpful, don't tell you that your flight gate has been changed until it's too late.

What don't I like about British culture? Probably all the drinking. I drank back in college days and even today I'll have a glass of wine but you go to England and it's drink, drink, drink. Go out Friday for drinkies. Meet after work and you get stuck paying for rounds of drinks for people you don't even know. I've seen vomit on the pavement (sidewalks) in cities the morning after. Too much emphasis on drinking. But I love just about everything else, especially the food.

Yep, the drinking I’d agree with. I lived in New Jersey and hated that airport.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Worst airport by FAR=Newark. Rude, unhelpful, don't tell you that your flight gate has been changed until it's too late.

What don't I like about British culture? Probably all the drinking. I drank back in college days and even today I'll have a glass of wine but you go to England and it's drink, drink, drink. Go out Friday for drinkies. Meet after work and you get stuck paying for rounds of drinks for people you don't even know. I've seen vomit on the pavement (sidewalks) in cities the morning after. Too much emphasis on drinking. But I love just about everything else, especially the food.
Agree with all of this.

I much prefer the Italian drinking culture. But otherwise love the UK, including the food.

Heathrow is far from the worst airport I have been to. Mexico City was pretty awful and LA many years ago had staff shouting insults at the Central American passengers when we arrived (we were transferred to Air Costa Rica)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom