Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 03:45 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times

Advertisements

The newer housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 03:58 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
LA, San Francisco, Portland OR Dubai, Kuala Lumpur very unfriendly airports I certainly wouldn't judge a country by its airports.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:14 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I've never visited the UK, but I found the people who work at Heathrow to be unhelpful and gave off snobby vibes whenever I've been there for a layover/connection. I'm not sure if this applies to London or UK as a whole.
Try Orlando airport..

Old 12-27-2022, 03:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have fantasized about being a dentist in Europe in my next life. More specifically, an orthodontist.

I’m not talking about whether they get their teeth cleaned on the government dime, but many go around with really unsightly crookedness, and missing teeth.

My present hygienist is from Bosnia. In her country she was just short of being a dentist. She said that people there do not really take care of their teeth at all. The first year she came here, she got invisiline braces and tooth whitening.
My dad did a bunch of Oral Surgery training in London. He did a bunch of cases in his career where he took a piece of rib and used it as a jawbone. Birth defects, cancer, and motorcycle/car crash patients, mostly. The US wasn’t doing those kinds of cases at the time. UK dentistry is as advanced as anywhere.

We were in Bristol, Virginia some years ago in Appalachia on a drive from Nashville to New England. At breakfast, some woman commented about my wife’s good teeth. We’re from affluent New England suburbia where everyone has good teeth. It’s socioeconomic. Most of the US has really lousy oral care.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:18 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Try Orlando airport..
Yeah, treat you like a terrorist, not a tourist. Ill mannered bunch.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My second cousin is a dentist in Lancashire. Oral health is better than the US. Low income people have better access to hygienists and there’s less sugar in their diet. The difference is cosmetic dentistry. The affluent in the US spend big on it because a row of straight-white teeth is expected for white collar professionals. Any blue chip suburb is full of people with cosmetically perfect teeth.

The sporting culture fascinates me. I watched Sunderland-Blackburn today. Sunderland attendance was 43,921. Metro Sunderland only has ~ 300,000 people. A few miles north and you’re in Newcastle with your own Premier League team. ~ 15% of the city was at the football match. There’s absolutely nothing like that in the United States. Sunderland doesn’t even have a very good team. They’re mid-table in Championship League with low odds on promotion to Premier League.

The NFL does around $10 billion in television revenue. It is shared among 32 teams. The Premier League is now around $7 billion and more than half of the revenue is international. It’s shared among 20 teams so the big teams are now out-earning the NFL teams. The other top European leagues can’t keep up with that giant revenue stream so all the best players will eventually land in the Premier League.
The people in the North East are football barmy, also they are one team towns, Blackburn may only 'average' 14'000 attendances but when you think that Blackburn's population is only 150'000 and they are surrounded by 'other' league clubs, small town clubs like themselves, Burnley, Preston, they are also close to some Yorkshire and Lancashire giants, Manchester United / City, Leeds, Sheffield & of course Liverpool I think that their attendances are pretty good really.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The people in the North East are football barmy, also they are one team towns, Blackburn may only 'average' 14'000 attendances but when you think that Blackburn's population is only 150'000 and they are surrounded by 'other' league clubs, small town clubs like themselves, Burnley, Preston, they are also close to some Yorkshire and Lancashire giants, Manchester United / City, Leeds, Sheffield & of course Liverpool I think that their attendances are pretty good really.
I’m contrasting that culture to my New England culture. The New England Patriots draw from a population of 12 to 14 million people. We don’t have a sport where the whole city goes to a match every Saturday.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:54 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m contrasting that culture to my New England culture. The New England Patriots draw from a population of 12 to 14 million people. We don’t have a sport where the whole city goes to a match every Saturday.
14 million! How big is the stadium? I'm guessing it's hard getting hold of a ticket.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
14 million! How big is the stadium? I'm guessing it's hard getting hold of a ticket.
If you don’t know a season ticket holder, it’s impossible. Gillette seats 65,878. I get invited when it’s lousy weather and they’re playing a bad team. I had Revolution season tickets a few rows up from the corner flag. They draw around 20,000 so it mostly fills the lower bowl. The level of competition is barely mid table Championship. No academies. No loans from Premier League teams. Minimal television revenue.

Like I said, I’m fascinated by football culture. The notion of a derby where the two teams are only a few miles apart in neighboring cities. Or different sections of London. I grew up a Boston Red Sox fan and there has always been a Yankees rivalry but the cities are 3+ hours apart.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Cask conditioned beers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom