Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,377 times

Advertisements

My experience is that graduates are more likely to leave Scotland than head there, but best of luck. Edinburgh most be one of the top ten cities in the world (in my own personal biased list). No doubt Glasgow is fine too if you avoid all that 2nd hand Northern Ireland conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
My experience is that graduates are more likely to leave Scotland than head there

You'd be suprised at the graduates living here, I know quite a few. But there are people that move abroad too.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-13-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Use Direct Message for personal questions

Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Scotland has some of the best Universities going and indeed some, if not the, oldest.

I have English friends living in Scotland and their eldest will be going to one soon. There are also financial benefits available to Scottish domiciles going to a Scottish university.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Scotland has some of the best Universities going and indeed some, if not the, oldest.

I have English friends living in Scotland and their eldest will be going to one soon. There are also financial benefits available to Scottish domiciles going to a Scottish university.
Very true ... although Edinburgh does seem to be aligned more to the English model than the Scots one (i.e. they require Advanced Highers rather than regular ones).

Glasgow has a very active education sector. The University of Glasgow, which is over 600 years old, is considered to be in the top 100 Universities worldwide. There is also The University of Strathclyde, Caledonian University and the Charles Rennie MacIntosh designed School of Art. This vibrant educational sector makes Glasgow a very attractive destination for young people. The West End of Glasgow (where I grew up) is especially attractive because of the night life, pubs, eateries, etc.

Nevertheless, I do agree with Hengist that most graduates will pursue their careers outwith Scotland. While there are jobs to be had, career advancement is more likely to involve a move to London or to one of the other European or US commercial centres. Fact is, there are no really big companies headquartered in Glasgow although there are subsidiaries of large UK, US or European companies. You really need to go to Edinburgh to find a large corporate HQ and there are not many there either. As a result, a move to Scotland is much more of a lifestyle choice than a career one.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 44,662 times
Thanks Jaggy, my thing is that I am looking to move abroad for a short time, since I never experienced studying abroad I want to (post-graduation while I still have freedom and not too many responsibilities) live in Scotland for at least a year, and just get into the lifestyle. If it's not the best place looking for a career, I want to find a job that will at least help me pay for rent and extra stuff. what about working in a museum or are there any media industries that aren't too competitive? I mean I have a good resume and experience, don't know how important that is in Scotland.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Re working in a museum- not that easy these days.

Positions are keenly sought after and may be without pay, at least round this part of England.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM

29 posts, read 97,699 times
Germans are not very welcome in Britain, are they?

Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Well I greeted forty of them yesterday and all went well.

What's that got to do with this thread?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizali View Post
Germans are not very welcome in Britain, are they?
They're fine as long as they leave their tanks at Calais!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM

29 posts, read 97,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

What's that got to do with this thread?
just asking.

@ Hengist#
I don't have any tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom