Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Suburbs tend to be more efficient and cheaper settings to build both new office campuses and single-family homes for middle-income workers

Most of the world's most profitable companies (and employers) have their HQs and regional offices in distant suburbs, not in cities...and factories in less urban, cheaper regions of Southern, non-unionized US or China

Mobile computing and videoconferencing are allowing increasing amts of telecommuting and less need for business travel for face-to-face mtgs

Online shopping makes much of bricks-and-mortar retailing useless

Truly eco-conscious, tech-savvy folks really have no need to ever travel for an energy&money-wasting vacation, when have a new suburban home w/competent HVAC and a yard...and a computer to do virtual tours of globe via GoogleStreetView...can watch sports on TV, not at some costly, energy-consuming stadium or golf course...can read/surf anything on one's iPad

Mass transit is incredibly costly, inefficient, unsafe and uncomfortable for any modern US commuter and taxpayer w/a real job and 2-3 cars in his suburban garage for whatever driving needs....and airplanes should be stuff of profit-seeking business travel, certainly not for discretionary tourism

Suspect US has many, many decades of cheap fuel remaining and tons of land around key suburban corridors, as can always teardown obsolete offices/houses/shops and build new-tech offices and houses in desirable, efficient locales

Eco/urban planning doomsayers neither understand basic economics and business...nor implications of continually advancing mobile computing on ways employers, taxpayers and workers commute, work, live, play, shop, study, etc....as opposed to welfare recipients, unions and community organizers who predominate in highly populated, older cities who are (naturally) some of biggest advocates of taxpayer-subsidized communal housing and mass transit
You must vote Republican, haha.

The suburb is quite dead and/or is dying. The millenial generation will want nothing to do with large homes, sprawling shopping centers.

There are many parellels between the internet and the city. In fact the internet has been called the vitual city. Younger generations are becoming accustomed to urbanism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,700,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

The suburb is quite dead and/or is dying. The millenial generation will want nothing to do with large homes, sprawling shopping centers.

There are many parellels between the internet and the city. In fact the internet has been called the vitual city. Younger generations are becoming accustomed to urbanism.
There will always be people who want their own home, yard, car, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with what generation people are in. I was born in 92 so im considered part of the new generation. I don't want to live in the middle of a city and I know a lot of people who feal the same way.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
There will always be people who want their own home, yard, car, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with what generation people are in. I was born in 92 so im considered part of the new generation. I don't want to live in the middle of a city and I know a lot of people who feal the same way.
Well that happens to just be you. But the majority thinking of people of our generation is to live in cities and enjoy their benefits. This will be the trend this century. The world's urban population will increase dramatically.

I know because my degree happens to be on this topic. So. Yeah, I kinda know what's going on.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,700,229 times
Quote:
Well that happens to just be you. But the majority thinking of people of our generation is to live in cities and enjoy their benefits. This will be the trend this century. The world's urban population will increase dramatically.

I know because my degree happens to be on this topic. So. Yeah, I kinda know what's going on.
You don't know what everyone thinks.. I don't disagree that there will be an increase in people moving to urban areas because that is whats happening. But I do disagree with your statement that our generation wants nothing to do with the suburbs and thet they are all dead/dying. They aren't going to go away, new home construction in the suburbs will still go on, not at the explosive rate it did this past decade but they aren't going to "die".

Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:

The same was said of Generation X and the Baby Boomers until they started to have families and I'm sure that the many of the Millenials who grew up in these suburbs will sure want to raise their families there also. I was born in 1990 and everyone I know my age goes to the large shopping centers and wouldn't not want nothing to do with them. Plus the cheapest stuff is in those places.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:

No offense but I notice your location is in MA and that is one of the more liberal and urban states so I'm not surprised that there would be a high rate of urban living in your state. Just wait until we start having children in masses in 10-20 years and we will see how people stay. It's one thing to live as an adult in a neighborhood, but once you have kids your priorities change as schools and safety become more important than location and walk ability.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Well the real answer looks more like sprawl design is different with more workplaces mixed in. A large number of people live and work close to home in suburbs now so many of the arguments are a moot point. I don't think oil issues will factor into it in the long run since cost is barring 2008 within historical inflation-adjusted average, only if it deviates from that for an extended time. Though some technology change might also come into play making that irrelevant in the end as well. A big thing I noticed is that this issue now is a partisan political issue which isn't good either way.

Personally the reason that is slowed down is the dropoff in crime from the early 90's. If that retured and/or racial tensions rise again the previous trends will reappear regardless of any other factors.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I believe that development will continue sprawling, unlike some who believe that it will go "MOOB" and everything will get sucked back into center city once gas reaches $6.00/gallon. But CITIES may not be able to expand to follow the growth. Boston is famously compact. I believe that was due to influence of railroad barons living in comfortable railroad suburbs. Some cities were able to grow by merging with neighboring cities, as in New York, or adjacent suburbs, as in Chicago. Indianapolis got legislative approval to basically take over the County. Texas cities have the power to easily take over open areas so they will be able to incorporate development. Of course, Detroit has more land area than it is ever likely to need.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
This is just a pet peeve of mine but, why is it always implied that these things can't be had in most US cities?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This is just a pet peeve of mine but, why is it always implied that these things can't be had in most US cities?

To me places with yards, especially large ones just do not feel very urban - though peoples definition of city is subjective. I guess I am just used to a city that basically has no yards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning